PhD or PsyD programs with a specialty for schizophrenia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirkwww

Post Bach
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of have experience with PhD or PsyD programs with a specialty for schizophrenia. This is a field i am very interested in and i have done some research for it in the past. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

University of Maryland-College park is only program I know with a specialty track for shiz research.

In term of programs with professors working on something to do with schiz. there are threads about that already. Depends on what your interest is with schiz, obviously. Off the top of my head: Bedwell at UCF, Kring at Berkley, Park at Vandy, Lewine at Louisville, and multiple people at UCLA, Yale, Minnesota, and IU. The only one of these that is remotely practitioner friendly is UCF and Louisville, BTW.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC-Greensboro is very balanced (I interviewed there) and they have a professor who is pretty well known in schizophrenia research.

Actually, piping in on the OPs post, I'd be interested to know of researchers conducting schizophrenia research in a neuro-psychology setting (i.e. in the Clinical Psychology department, with neuro-imaging and/or other multi-modal techniques integrated into their research).

Thanks! (p.s. I will certainly look into the schools mentioned above).

Diane Gooding at UW-Madison does schizophrenia research, but UW-Madison is a very research-heavy program. I will also say that I have heard not-so-great things about her as an advisor (and I know several of her grad students, who are now members of someone else's lab because they were really unhappy working for her)...so I would only apply to work with her if you REALLY like her research ;)

Thanks for the advice, ill be sure to check these out. Weird question but do any universities study behavior or cognition under the influence of substances such as marijuana, lsd, or opiates?

Yes, mostly in medical schools though.

Although I was an RA as an undergrad in lab that got people drunk and then measured agressive responses. Well...they got up to 0.9 anyway.

Yes, mostly in medical schools though.

Although I was an RA as an undergrad in lab that got people drunk and then measured agressive responses. Well...they got up to 0.9 anyway.

Yeah, alcohol research seems to occur at least somewhat commonly in psych departments (assuming you have the lab space to "house" participants until they sober up). Agreed that for most other substances, it's usually in the context of a medical school.

Yeah, alcohol research seems to occur at least somewhat commonly in psych departments (assuming you have the lab space to "house" participants until they sober up). Agreed that for most other substances, it's usually in the context of a medical school.

I know there's a professor at UT (Austin) who does this for some of her research.

My area of interest too! I only applied to work with people doing schizophrenia research (three years in a row, sigh...) Finally got in this year. These are the programs that have a schizophrenia researcher that I can remember off the top of my head (all clinical PhD programs):

University of Miami
Louisiana State University
Kent State University
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina Greensboro
University of Maryland
Washington University in St. Louis
Northwestern University (Feinberg)
Temple University
Emory University
Hofstra University
SUNY Binghamton
University of Illinois Chicago
Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin Madison
University of Michigan Ann Arbor

My area of interest too! I only applied to work with people doing schizophrenia research (three years in a row, sigh...) Finally got in this year. These are the programs that have a schizophrenia researcher that I can remember off the top of my head (all clinical PhD programs):

University of Miami
Louisiana State University
Kent State University
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina Greensboro
University of Maryland
Washington University in St. Louis
Northwestern University (Feinberg)
Temple University
Emory University
Hofstra University
SUNY Binghamton
University of Illinois Chicago
Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin Madison
University of Michigan Ann Arbor

This is a good list. Ty Cannon is leaving (or has already left?) UCLA for Yale. He also has a former postdoc who is a newish faculty member at University of Colorado at Boulder.

Wow thanks for everything guys, i was able to get a list of professors i can contact next school year and start working on. Im about to start my third year of undergrad, when is a good time to start contacting future professors for grad school

Wow thanks for everything guys, i was able to get a list of professors i can contact next school year and start working on. Im about to start my third year of undergrad, when is a good time to start contacting future professors for grad school

Wow you're really on top of your game...I would say not until the summer before your senior year (or summer before you're applying if you're taking time off). Contacting them any earlier may not get you any answers (professors probably won't know whether they're taking a student / have funding yet)

UNC-Greensboro is very balanced (I interviewed there) and they have a professor who is pretty well known in schizophrenia research.
Not exactly schizophrenia research - his research is on schizotypy and almost all of it is done on undergrads. Very interesting stuff, but it's questionable how generalizable it is to the world of schizophrenia research.

Not exactly schizophrenia research - his research is on schizotypy and almost all of it is done on undergrads. Very interesting stuff, but it's questionable how generalizable it is to the world of schizophrenia research.

This reminded me of Alex Cohen at LSU that studies SZ and schizotypy.

To the OP, before emailing professors I'd suggest narrowing down as to what in SZ you are interested in. Schizophrenia is a disorder with a number of different deficits - cognitive (lots of areas disrupted), affective, delusions/hallucinations etc.

Edit - I don't think Univeristy of Illinois Chicago has been mentioned but they have Ellen Herbner and I think a couple of other people who study SZ.

This reminded me of Alex Cohen at LSU that studies SZ and schizotypy.

To the OP, before emailing professors I'd suggest narrowing down as to what in SZ you are interested in. Schizophrenia is a disorder with a number of different deficits - cognitive (lots of areas disrupted), affective, delusions/hallucinations etc.

Edit - I don't think Univeristy of Illinois Chicago has been mentioned but they have Ellen Herbner and I think a couple of other people who study SZ.
Yup, LSU and UIC were both on my list above. :) Ellen Herbener is the only one in the psych department that does schizophrenia. There were a few in the psychiatry department but they all jumped ship a few years ago.

I would add Pogue-Geile at University of Pittsburgh.

Long Island University C.W Post PsyD has an SPMI track