PhD programs for those already holding an MD/MBBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddwl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I did my medical degree (MBBS) in Australia (I am not a US-citizen), and I am interested in pursuing a career in research or academic medicine in the United States.

Most of the programs I've looked at are MD/PhD programs, I am just wondering if it is difficult to get into a PhD research program if I already have my MBBS? Is it very competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I did my medical degree (MBBS) in Australia (I am not a US-citizen), and I am interested in pursuing a career in research or academic medicine in the United States.

Most of the programs I've looked at are MD/PhD programs, I am just wondering if it is difficult to get into a PhD research program if I already have my MBBS? Is it very competitive?

Haha- No, not competitive at all. You can pretty much get your pick of institutions, provided you do well on entrance exams. The fact that you speak English will go a long way! Do you want to practice medicine as well? What kind of research do you want to do? If you want a clinical appointment you may have to take USMLE exams to be board certified in the US.

I have seen MDs become pure researchers, pure teachers, or any mix in between. It shouldn't be any different for the MBBS. While you might have problems practicing medicine in the US - I cannot comment on what you'd need to do to remedy that - you should be able to find any type of position you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yea - getting into a PhD is not hard. It is NOT HARD. Getting out with a degree, let alone a doctorate, is. But I believe you don't need a PhD to get into US academia. If you want the training of a PhD, then go for it.

Hi there,

Depends on which PhD program you want to attend.

Hi there,

Take the GRE (Graduate Record exam). That's the only thing you'll need for your application (other than research experience). I'm a British citizen and I moved here to do a Ph.D. before going to medical school. Several graduates of foreign medical schools have done exactly what you are thinking of doing (some were in my class in graduate school). Most program(me)s will pay your Ph.D. tuition and give you a stipend of around 20K U.S. Feel free to PM any questions.

Take the GRE (Graduate Record exam). That's the only thing you'll need for your application (other than research experience). I'm a British citizen and I moved here to do a Ph.D. before going to medical school. Several graduates of foreign medical schools have done exactly what you are thinking of doing (some were in my class in graduate school). Most program(me)s will pay your Ph.D. tuition and give you a stipend of around 20K U.S. Feel free to PM any questions.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, it is much harder to get funding.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, it is much harder to get funding.

?????

What are you talking about? This is for a PhD- there is plenty of money because the PI pays your stipend. Getting an individual grant may be a different stury, but it is not necessary/expected as a grad student.

?????

What are you talking about? This is for a PhD- there is plenty of money because the PI pays your stipend. Getting an individual grant may be a different stury, but it is not necessary/expected as a grad student.

Often you are paid out of general grant money the first couple years. Many programs have training grants. It is common for programs to put strict limits on the number of funded international students they will accept. This makes it much more difficult to get accepted with funding, though still possible.

Often you are paid out of general grant money the first couple years. Many programs have training grants. It is common for programs to put strict limits on the number of funded international students they will accept. This makes it much more difficult to get accepted with funding, though still possible.
This is not generally true for the good programs. In fact, you'll find that Americans are minorities in those programs - not because they can't get in - but because they just don't want to do a Ph.D.. This makes fertile application potential for internationals.

This is not generally true for the good programs. In fact, you'll find that Americans are minorities in those programs - not because they can't get in - but because they just don't want to do a Ph.D.. This makes fertile application potential for internationals.
Agree. In my lab, out of a dozen grad students, I was one of two Americans. None of the post docs were Americans. Most of my labmates were from Asian countries. All of us were funded on TAs when we began and RAs toward the end, which I think was a pretty standard thing for PIs to do in my dept.

Agree. In my lab, out of a dozen grad students, I was one of two Americans. None of the post docs were Americans. Most of my labmates were from Asian countries. All of us were funded on TAs when we began and RAs toward the end, which I think was a pretty standard thing for PIs to do in my dept.
Ditto. A lot of people in my old department were supported on TAs until getting into research years and getting a lab with a RA.

It is harder to get into the TOP PhD programs if you are an international student, largely due to funding issues--a similar issue with international students trying to get into MD programs (although some do, but they will need to find their own monies). This just means getting in becomes more competitive for international students, but it is very possible to get accepted with full funding. I would recommend getting a PhD from a top institution, e.g CalTech, MIT, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and the like.

Well I have spent 4 years rocking in a PhD program in a top shot school and having spent 5.5 years for MBBS and wanting to do a residency ( which I really want) it's another 5 -6 years in mix. But this is only my story , so here it goes:
1) getting into Phd program in US ( with funding ) is bit tough esp. in top notch schools as soo many int. grads leave the moment they are board certified apart from other reasons like current funding situation and research background.
2) you need to do well on gre and toefl ( high 90 percentile)
3) you must must have research experience ( papers pref.)
4) it will take you avg. 5 - 6 years in grad school to get the degree ( where as most of your friends would be completing fellowships by then)
5) with a MBBS you can come to usa for a post doc as well.
I really don't mean to be grumpy ( lol) , I had qualified for residency in my home country and I wanted to do research and see how it's like . I still have no regrets for choices I have made but as I see it now , life is not the destination but the journey and the journey in basic science is not easy esp. in top notch schools where there are tonns of noble laureates and your boss wants you to get your own funding and .... ( well the list is endless) .
I am open to any questions

Well I have spent 4 years rocking in a PhD program in a top shot school and having spent 5.5 years for MBBS and wanting to do a residency ( which I really want) it's another 5 -6 years in mix. But this is only my story , so here it goes:
1) getting into Phd program in US ( with funding ) is bit tough esp. in top notch schools as soo many int. grads leave the moment they are board certified apart from other reasons like current funding situation and research background.
4) it will take you avg. 5 - 6 years in grad school to get the degree ( where as most of your friends would be completing fellowships by then)
I really don't mean to be grumpy ( lol) , I had qualified for residency in my home country and I wanted to do research and see how it's like . I still have no regrets for choices I have made but as I see it now , life is not the destination but the journey and the journey in basic science is not easy esp. in top notch schools where there are tonns of noble laureates and your boss wants you to get your own funding and .... ( well the list is endless) .

Magic man 00, I have my mbbs. What should I do to apply for a PHD position in the U.S.? Do I take the GRE and TOEFL and then apply? How can I find out which universities to apply to? Thank you so much in advance

Magic man 00, I have my mbbs. What should I do to apply for a PHD position in the U.S.? Do I take the GRE and TOEFL and then apply? How can I find out which universities to apply to? Thank you so much in advance

PhD programs in biomedical sciences are not worth doing in the US in general. There are specific and important exceptions to that rule, but they are purely based on a case-by-case basis. You need to understand what kind of career exits there are for such programs.

PhD programs in biomedical sciences are not worth doing in the US in general. There are specific and important exceptions to that rule, but they are purely based on a case-by-case basis. You need to understand what kind of career exits there are for such programs.
Talk some more. So how would we know what career exists for a program?
Do you have any suggestion? Can recommend some good programs?

Talk some more. So how would we know what career exists for a program?
Do you have any suggestion? Can recommend some good programs?

It's very hard to say things that are generalizable. The best way is to talk to people, but people's time is very expensive. If you live in a developing country and it's VERY VERY easy for US institutions to exploit you for a variety of reasons. It's kind of a sad situation but there's no easy answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Take the GRE (Graduate Record exam). That's the only thing you'll need for your application (other than research experience). I'm a British citizen and I moved here to do a Ph.D. before going to medical school. Several graduates of foreign medical schools have done exactly what you are thinking of doing (some were in my class in graduate school). Most program(me)s will pay your Ph.D. tuition and give you a stipend of around 20K U.S. Feel free to PM any
What kind of faculty/institutions take mbbs grads as phd students?
What are my chances if i apply microbiology and immunology phd program ?

I am a little late to respond to this thread. Hoping to get a reply

I have finished my MBBS and want to do a residency in US!
I'm also interested in research.
Is it a good option to get into a PhD program and prepare for usmle side by side and then quit phd if I get matched ?
Is there an option to keep the PhD on hold and complete residency and come back to finish PhD ?

I would like to know if it's a good option to get into a PhD program and prepare for steps and leave PhD when n if I get matched ?
I'm an IMG and have just completed my mbbs