Phd programs that consider last 2 only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych84

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My last two year GPA will be quite good (3.7 range). I assume that is good, anyways. And while I know that Phd programs generally take into account how you did in your last two years in undergrad, (they base your gpa on the 4, though). So my question is, are there any programs that JUST consider your last two? In some Uni's in Canada, this is the case.

Also, how common is it that they (Phd programs in general) accept people with no Psychology degree? (but having a solid background of Psychology courses)

Members don't see this ad.

As to the first question, I imagine there are few, if any, that ONLY look at the last two. But, you are correct, most will weigh the final years, and your psych only GPA, a little higher.

As to the second question, PhD programs accept non-psych majors all the time. As long as you have the pre-reqs and some kind of research/clinical experience, there is no "mark down" for not being a psych major. My program was about 1/3 non-psych majors, and I have heard similar numbers from others.

IIRC, I know of one program looks at both overall GPA and GPA from the last two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys know some, please name them lol

This was not asked by the OP, but IMO (and I have said this before on SDN), if you are applying to PhD/PsyD programs in clinical, counseling and school psych (I speak mainly for clinical programs IME) straight out of undergrad, then academic abilities (i.e., GPA, GRE scores) are only ONE important aspect of the acceptance process.

Emotional maturity, empathy, interpersonal skills are all highly regarded and occasionally evident in letters of recommendation (via the relationships built with former professors and/or supervisors, and professionals who mentor you). Also, professionalism, productivity and interest, in terms of employment, is determined if you are able to work in the field as an RA, research coordinator or even a volunteer. (I'm always a huge proponent of volunteering to gain exposure to experiences in the clinical, as well as research realms.) How will you know what a good research fit is if you haven't been involved in any (or minimal) research? There's very little hand-holding in doctoral programs and you become an independent researcher (with a faculty sponsor) pretty quickly...like DAY 1, in most funded programs.

An anecdote: when I was applying to graduate programs, a post-doc working with us in our clinical health psych department worked with me on mock interviews. She gave me some great advice about trying to remain as confident about who YOU are and what YOU have to offer because this can slip you up when you meet your competition. She had a group interview to her fully-funded program, as the person on her right explained her past trauma work with Bosnian refugees, the person on her left described how she immigrated to the US with her family on a small boat from Cuba. And here this post-doc was "just a young lady from the Midwest with a strong desire to be a psychologist."

With that said, just know (if you did not consider this before) that in addition to GRE/GPA cut-offs, it will be important to convey depth of understanding and substance throughout your entire picture....and for many reasons, some people take time off after undergrad to a solidify their interests and gain more experience (but this is not necessary for everyone...and you know who you are). In 1-2 years time after acceptance, you may end up being the first of point of contact for someone who has recently demonstrated the signs of psychosis, or someone else who has just sought help for a long history of abuse, or someone else who has failed work & personal relationships due to unrecognized substance abuse. A doctoral program will want to see 'a little more' than high academic achievements and ability before they vest trust, time, energy, and money (i.e., funding) into you...so make sure you are working on those aspects as well (besides good grades...which just makes the other stuff easier to build upon).

...Just my .02

Good luck with all. :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm a veteran on the forum, so I totally understand that GPA is hardly the only qualification needed. The goal was to find enough Uni's/Colleges that look at last 2, and then of course consider fit, and making sure I did well in GRE, gaining some research experience, etc. The issue is that my first two years GPA is about 3.o, last 2 3.7.

As to the second question, PhD programs accept non-psych majors all the time. As long as you have the pre-reqs and some kind of research/clinical experience, there is no "mark down" for not being a psych major. My program was about 1/3 non-psych majors, and I have heard similar numbers from others.

After doing research on accredited Canadian Phd programs, it seems the majority of Canadian programs require an Honours Psychology degree (an undergrad thesis), on top of having some research experience. I did find about five that just look at the last two years (or in the case of one school, just the last year)