PhD student applying to MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pelirroja77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PhD student at a very good institution who has a 31 MCAT and 3.97 undergrad GPA from a Big Ten school. Do you guys think it is possible for a current PhD student already in their thesis lab to switch to MD/PhD or do you think I have to finish the PhD first then apply to MD? Also are there any funding or programs out there for PhDs that want MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend meeting with the MSTP director at your current school and discuss your plans.

pelirroja77 said:
I am currently a PhD student at a very good institution who has a 31 MCAT and 3.97 undergrad GPA from a Big Ten school. Do you guys think it is possible for a current PhD student already in their thesis lab to switch to MD/PhD or do you think I have to finish the PhD first then apply to MD? Also are there any funding or programs out there for PhDs that want MDs?

I think a few schools expressly say that you cannot appy to MSTP if you are already enrolled in a PhD program. Likely you'll have to apply to an MD afterwards, but def meet with the deans at the med school near you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ClarinetGeek said:
I would recommend meeting with the MSTP director at your current school and discuss your plans.

Agreed, in rare instances it can be done, but don't bet the farm on it. I've only seen it happen twice, and one of those cases involved nepotism.

pelirroja77 said:

The MSTP grant only pays for the MD. In grad school you are funded like a grad student, anyway. And since the whole point of the MD-PhD is to train physician-scientists, you should in theory be able to do it, but it is difficult nonetheless. The person I know who did it had his PhD advisor be a strong advocate for him (those who know your research are the key to MSTP admissions). I think part of the reason applicants run into trouble is because the MSTP doesn't find them desirable enough. So, If I were you I would hedge my bets by retaking the MCAT if it is not at or above the average MCAT for your school's MSTP.

I might settle some of these issues (advisor, MCAT, etc) before exposing myself to the MSTP director.

pelirroja77 said:

Why not just opt out with a masters, and start fresh in another lab at (maybe) another school. When I applied MSTP, I was currently a PhD student, and had no problems with the paper work to get the MS. I know I had a different situation, but it has some advantages. To name a few:

1. You will find that most MSTPs/graduate programs are willing to help you out, and will accept most of your coursework credit from the MS for the PhD

2. Completing the PhD can hurt you: MSTPs generally will not admit students who already have one (I talked to many of them). Thus, no funding for the MD

3. Your prior grad work will help tremendously in your new lab if you go MSTP, which will also reduce some time/headache/heartache while getting the PhD. This along with an advisor/grad program willing to take your prior coursework may trim the time-to-finish by ~18 months (a liberal estimate)

4. Gives you the opportunity to learn from mistakes and try something different. For example, if your current lab/program is not clinical enough, you can take your basic science background and be a rockstar in another lab that better suits your needs. Plus, many schools try hard to integrate the PhD years with the MD/clinical stuff, thus opening more doors or flickering on more lights, etc.

5. From what I have heard, and from the comments above: Med students switching into MSTP is rare, but do-able. Grad students switching into MSTP is almost impossible. Plus, this severely limits your options regarding which MSTPs you can apply to.

As for your question regarding funding for PhDs enrolling in MD programs -- forget about it. The PhD will virtually give you no brownie points in the eyes of the financial wizards who grant scholarships. I looked into this before my decision, also. Hoped this helped

JETER said:
As for your question regarding funding for PhDs enrolling in MD programs -- forget about it. The PhD will virtually give you no brownie points in the eyes of the financial wizards who grant scholarships. I looked into this before my decision, also. Hoped this helped

I was offered full tuition scholarships at Wash U and at Pittsburgh when applying after my PhD, so it can happen. Also, the NIH has a loan repayment program for residency, where they will pay back up to $35K per year that you commit to doing 6 mo. of research (i.e. if you took off a year and did research during residency, you would receive your research salary + $35K loan repayment). This isn't on par with MSTP by any means, but it can ofset the costs.

If you are early in your PhD, I would follow Jeter's advice and get a quick MSc, if you can do it in <2 years total. The MSTP will like your research experience and you will have an advantage in knowing how to get through your project more efficiently. As mentioned, you need to kill your MCAT, which will validate your graduate training.

Treg

Do it!

I know a guy at my university who did so and he's not looking back. It takes 3 years extra over an MD but you'd have already done some of the work for it. Do it.

You won't regret the income, security, ease of grant money that comes with an MD, let alone a MD/Ph.D.

Do it! Your PI will be very supportive.

Treg said:
I was offered full tuition scholarships at Wash U and at Pittsburgh when applying after my PhD, so it can happen.
Treg
FWIW, I was scholarshipped as well (PhD to MD). But most people who apply to straight MD programs do not get scholarships, whether they have PhDs or not. The OP's stats are certainly good, and maybe she could get a scholarship if her ECs and other factors are excellent. But I think that JETER is correct that having a PhD does not do anything by itself to raise one's chances of getting a scholarship. Treg, your app was strong even just from UG alone, and the PhD in and of itself isn't what makes you such a great applicant.

OP, I agree that you can ask your school about switching into the MSTP, but you shouldn't count on being permitted to do it. Your best bet is either to leave early with your MS and then apply to MSTPs as Treg suggested, or else to finish your PhD and then apply for your MD. If you do the latter, you will have to take the MCAT again, and you will almost certainly have to pay for your medical school expenses. (Again, you may get a scholarship, but you can't count on definitely being able to get one.) On the other hand, if you do the former, your MCAT is a little low for many MSTP programs, and you must be careful about not alienating your PI or anyone else whom you ask to write letters for you.

Have you talked to your PI about wanting to do an MD/PhD? If not, maybe that is the best place for you to start. It will make the decision very easy if you know that your advisor will not support you leaving early with your MS. If that's the case, I would advise you to stick the PhD out, because a lukewarm or bad LOR from your PI is going to really hurt your application to med schools or MSTPs. Try to do whatever you can within reason to get your advisor's support, because it will make your life a whole lot easier. Best of :luck: to you. :)