Philadelphia Cardiology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pappupulusu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from Penn, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/insight/experience into the other University Based Cardiology Programs in Philadelphia (i.e Jefferson, Temple, Drexel)?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Drexel, Jefferson and Temple and basically visited each program for only four hours on a random day. Anyone that goes there can correct me.

Jefferson seemed strong all around and I couldn't see any particular glaring weaknesses. The cath lab isn't the busiest, but a pretty good volume. They like their own for subspecialty, but I think 1 or maybe two intervention fellows. Awesome location, best of the three I interviewed at, and nice hospital.

Drexel takes eight fellows per year and seems very procedure heavy. I think part of it is that their fellows do a significant part of their training in a nearby community hospital that is supposed to be fantastic, but obviously the private guys are more aggressive. Most fellows get good clinical training, and is a busy program. Easily get intervention and further subspecialty spots. Lots of spots. Less academic then Jefferson.

Temple seemed to me the weakest, except if you are interested in heart failure/transplant. Very, very busy q4H overnight call the first year. Lots of subspecialty fellows are from other cards programs, don't necessarily take their own. Location isn't the best either.

I would be interested to hear everyones opinion on the quality of training and public perception of the following card programs: (after Penn). How would you rank them?

Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Cooper, Lankenau, and Christiana

I interviewed at Drexel, Jefferson and Temple and basically visited each program for only four hours on a random day. Anyone that goes there can correct me.

Jefferson seemed strong all around and I couldn't see any particular glaring weaknesses. The cath lab isn't the busiest, but a pretty good volume. They like their own for subspecialty, but I think 1 or maybe two intervention fellows. Awesome location, best of the three I interviewed at, and nice hospital.

Drexel takes eight fellows per year and seems very procedure heavy. I think part of it is that their fellows do a significant part of their training in a nearby community hospital that is supposed to be fantastic, but obviously the private guys are more aggressive. Most fellows get good clinical training, and is a busy program. Easily get intervention and further subspecialty spots. Lots of spots. Less academic then Jefferson.

Temple seemed to me the weakest, except if you are interested in heart failure/transplant. Very, very busy q4H overnight call the first year. Lots of subspecialty fellows are from other cards programs, don't necessarily take their own. Location isn't the best either.

So the bit about Temple most likely has changed quite a lot since they've had a ton of new hires. It sounds like they've improved significantly.

I am gonna wait until the end of the interview season before considering any impressions though...