Philadelphia IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone,
I am looking through all the programs in Philly for a fourth year elective, and so far only one has replied. Lower Bucks Hospital in Bristol, PA. Has anyone had experience with this hospital? Are they ACGME accredited yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Not familiar with their GME situation, but I'm from the area. Lower Bucks Hospital is a fairly small, community shop. 175 beds. It's an okay hospital, but not the first place I'd send my loved ones despite how close it is.

Ah okay. Thank you for your reply! Do they have a small patient volume then? I am trying to decide if it is worth completing a fourth year elective there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah okay. Thank you for your reply! Do they have a small patient volume then? I am trying to decide if it is worth completing a fourth year elective there.
Define "worth it".

AMG with crap scores trying to break into a "tough market"? Absolutely not.
DO grad from west of the Mississippi trying to get "home'? Not really.
IMG with a couple of US IM rotations under your belt but trying to pad your CV? Nope.
IMG with no (or very limited) USCE trying to get the bare minimum to get your app even looked at? Definitely.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you expand more on when it's 'worth/not worth' IM electives, specifically for a DO? I.e. for 'unlocking' a region, or even as a Sub-I/audition? And in the context of rotating at an academic center vs community program vs community program w/ no residency. Thanks!

The optics of the name “Lower Bucks” just has me scratching my head.

Lol. I think it is referring to lower Bucks county.

I agree with Gutonc. Probably not worth it for AMG, and maybe for IMG MDs. For DO, I have no idea.

Can you expand more on when it's 'worth/not worth' IM electives, specifically for a DO? I.e. for 'unlocking' a region, or even as a Sub-I/audition? And in the context of rotating at an academic center vs community program vs community program w/ no residency. Thanks!
Rotating somewhere without a residency program is just stupid. Why would you even do that as an elective/audition?

And are we talking about a SubI here or some sort of sub-specialty? My advice generally stands as above.

Well yea, ideally it's best to rotate at a residency program. Do you think an elective in a sub-specialty would suffice if a place doesn't have Sub-Is or open spots for them? Is it appropriate to try to set up a meeting during an elective with the PD?

Last edited:
Its an AOA Internal medicine residency program. Thank you all for your advice. I think I will turn this one down - I want to do an ACGME residency, and not knowing much about this program, I am unsure of the experience I would get versus just going to my core hospital institution.

I think I was just desperate to do an away in Philly.

Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.