Phlebotomy class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glorified

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take one this fall? I heard it helps to be a phlebotomist to make it easier get a job as an ER tech. Is this true? It costs 395 dollars. Is it worth it?

Just finished my EMT-cert. All I have to do is pass NR.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I take one this fall? I heard it helps to be a phlebotomist to make it easier get a job as an ER tech. Is this true? It costs 395 dollars. Is it worth it?

Just finished my EMT-cert. All I have to do is pass NR.

I'm taking one too. The cost ain't that bad though. Some of the ones I looked at cost $1400-$3000. My aunt who's a director at a hospital said that it will look good so I'm going for it. It's only a month long class anyway. What other things can you do with a phlebotomy cert?

I guess you could volunteer or work at ablood drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

Since I am an ER Tech, i thought I 'd post to this question.
I assume, EMT-Bs with training are allowed to start IVS/draw blood. In maryland, EMT-Bs cannot.
Also, when working as an ER tech, you are practicing under the hospitals policies and NOT as an EMT. As an EMT outside the hospital, you are practicing under the medical advisor that writes your protocols.

Now, being and EMT with actual riding experience is good for both medical and ER Tech work-even though most ERs will choose someone with some hospital experience+EMT than someone with just EMT.

Phlebotomy, for the sake of being an ER Tech, is not a big deal and I would defintly NOT spend $300 taking a course, if you don't have to. As an ER Tech, you would be taking vital signs, helping nurses, doing EKGs, etc....and phelobotomy would be one small part of that. It takes a matter of 4 hours to learn what you need to learn and be good enough to at least try yourself. It takes weeks or months to get the experience you need to be confident at it and attempt the harder-stick patients.

Hope this helps

I work as a tech in a busy ED/trauma center.

They put me through a phlebotomy class.

Most of my day is:
monitor -> vitals -> EKG,
phlebotomy,
casting/splinting,
foleys,
running fast track with a doctor,
answering call lights, doing chest compressions, assisting our EPs during procedures (central lines, intubations, chest tubes, sutures).

All in all, I stick roughly 6-10 people per day, and it was an acquired skill, not something I needed prior to employment.

All in all, I stick roughly 6-10 people per day, and it was an acquired skill, not something I needed prior to employment.

I second this. Don't spent nearly $400 to learn a skill you can pick up in an hour at the ED. IV sticks/blood draws are practical skills anyway - you just need to practice a lot to get the hang of it.

-z

Wondering about ppl that have been phlebotomist or ER techs, if this made a difference on their application or not? Seems like everyone is an EMT and from hearing from friends that are, all you do is transport ppl, there is very little clinical work or anything that would mirror the medical field.

I have been a phlebotomist since Oct 2006. Personally I feel like your question depends on the class. After taking the class are you eligible to take the PBT exam? If so, then it's probably worth it. If not, then it's probably not.

You're not going to get too much sticking experience in the class either way. We've got a class at our community college that my supervisor teaches, but it's mainly geared toward nursing students who'd like to learn how to stick. If you're going to get your PBT afterwards, then it's probably worth it to be able to put that certification on any sort of application (med school or job). If you're just learning the basics of sticking without being certified, then I say save your money. You're going to learn more in the first week on the job than you will in the class. And you'll be paid for it.

Let me know if you have more questions or anything.

Seems like everyone is an EMT and from hearing from friends that are, all you do is transport ppl, there is very little clinical work or anything that would mirror the medical field.

You get to learn more about patient conditions doing transports. Practice detailed physical exams and patient assessment and vitals. All of which are sound skills that should help you a little bit during clinical rotations. Also, if the critical pt craps out on you, you can attempt resucitation. Lots of suburb EMS systems allow you to volunteer 911 during your free time.