Phone in for diabetes supply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinapharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a question. A patient has medicare ( a, b, d) and she was diagnosed with dm 2 by her primary m.d like a years ago. Today she came into the pharmacy and trying to buy lancets, strips because she is running out of them. She doesn't have a profile with my pharmacy so i decided to call her doc for the supply Rx. Question is does medicare allow phone in Rx for diabetes supply or the doc need an original rx for the supply ? I thought i saved patient some $ but now i start to panick that i might just committed some medicare fraud.
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I have a question. A patient has medicare ( a, b, d) and she was diagnosed with dm 2 by her primary m.d like a years ago. Today she came into the pharmacy and trying to buy lancets, strips because she is running out of them. She doesn't have a profile with my pharmacy so i decided to call her doc for the supply Rx. Question is does medicare allow phone in Rx for diabetes supply or the doc need an original rx for the supply ? I thought i saved patient some $ but now i start to panick that i might just committed some medicare fraud.
:(
Part B: Verbal Orders NOT permitted
Part D: Permitted

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...technically, I think it's...
Part C: Permitted
Part D: Not covered

Not so, any Medicare Advantage Plan is a PDP and since it replaces Medicare entirely, it is required to cover test strips. Also, Medicare Welfare plans also cover testing supplies. So while you call it Part C and are technically correct, everybody looks at as a PDP.

...technically, I think it's...
Part C: Permitted
Part D: Not covered

Not so, any Medicare Advantage Plan is a PDP and since it replaces Medicare entirely, it is required to cover test strips. Also, Medicare Welfare plans also cover testing supplies. So while you call it Part C and are technically correct, everybody looks at as a PDP.

I admitted it was a technicality.

"You can always pay cash" - go-to excuse when prescriber's offices don't comply with Part B billing requirements, or anything else related to reimbursement.