Phone interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobabensa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I really need help preparing for a phone interview regarding health policy MPH . what should i expect to be asked. it's my first phone interview, will greatly appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

"Tell us about yourself"

"What are your career goals in public health?"

"Why the MPH?"

"Why the MPH at our University, specifically?

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

"What are your research interests?"

"Tell us why (insert something from your CV, Resume, or Letter of Purpose) makes you a good candidate for the program?"

"What are your greatest strengths? What are your weaknesses?"

"Do you have questions for us?"

Questions to ask:

How many other (Degree path students) are there in your area? In the school as a whole?

Are there any Journal Clubs/research reading groups in your area?

Is there a seminar series? (You could find this out on the web before hand and ask specific questions).

Ask about the publication rate of (degree path) students, and whether there is funding to attend national or international conferences and meetings a) if you get a paper in and b) if you don't (for development purposes).

The question we asked in the most recent round I was involved in:

What's the (relevant) thing you've done that you're most proud of? Describe it, and describe what's novel about it. This should be an opportunity for you to show off what you know and what you've done, and a candidate who fluffs this question is almost always out. In some of the interviews which go well, this is pretty much the only "set" question, because most of the other questions are about the details of the work.

Overall, the interview will present as a conversation in which they will be feeling you out, and you them. Don't seem over-eager. Do seem polite. Since its a phone interview, give them a chance to finish a sentence and wait approx. 5 seconds after they finish to respond. Then, when you finish, wait approx 5 - 10 seconds for them to respond, and by doing so avoid interruptions. Avoid slang. Avoid embarrassing personal stories. Seem interested. Use conversational skills to reference things they may have said previously... "You mentioned before (this aspect of public health policy in your program), I too have an interest in (this aspect of public health policy in your program). Thank them at the end and say that you appreciate their time talking to you, and that the interview was a valuable experience, and that you look forward to working with them in the future, then ask when you can expect to hear back. Smile when you talk, it carries over the phone lines. This is a job interview. These aren't your friends, but rather gatekeepers to a world you desire.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, the interview will present as a conversation in which they will be feeling you out, and you them. Don't seem over-eager. Do seem polite. Since its a phone interview, give them a chance to finish a sentence and wait approx. 5 seconds after they finish to respond. Then, when you finish, wait approx 5 - 10 seconds for them to respond, and by doing so avoid interruptions. Avoid slang. Avoid embarrassing personal stories. Seem interested. Use conversational skills to reference things they may have said previously... "You mentioned before (this aspect of public health policy in your program), I too have an interest in (this aspect of public health policy in your program). Thank them at the end and say that you appreciate their time talking to you, and that the interview was a valuable experience, and that you look forward to working with them in the future, then ask when you can expect to hear back. Smile when you talk, it carries over the phone lines. This is a job interview. These aren't your friends, but rather gatekeepers to a world you desire.

your reply is very helpful...thanks

Has anyone had a phone interview at SLU? If so, how was it? What type of questions did the interviewer ask?

How did things go? Did most of those suggested questions come up?

one interviiew i got few questions from what Vayu said. and it went well , i got acceptance.
the other interview went well in the begining , then he started talking about how i didn't take any calculus courses during my medical school . i don't know if that was a real concern or he just wanted to see my reaction. lets hope it will turn well