Phosphate Groups

Started by DingDongD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DingDongD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this question has been asked before, but why are most phosphate groups dissociated on all oxygens in biological molecules, such as for AMP? I looked up the pkas for phosphoric acid, pka3 is 12.4. So, shouldn't the hydrogen be there?

Thank you ahead.
 
Phosphoric acid is probably not a good model for something like AMP. The pKa's of those protons vary drastically depending on the environment they are in.
 
I know this question has been asked before, but why are most phosphate groups dissociated on all oxygens in biological molecules, such as for AMP? I looked up the pkas for phosphoric acid, pka3 is 12.4. So, shouldn't the hydrogen be there?

Thank you ahead.
Generally when speaking of phosphorylation/de-phosphorylation, it is the severing of P-O bonds that is involved. With phosphoric acid, however, it is the gain/loss of protons that we are describing when using Ka values. those phosphate groups will act very differently than the standard H3PO4 molecule.

hope this helps, good luck!