physical chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how important is physical chemistry as a mstp-to-be? would you rather take phys chem or biochemical methods II to best prepare yourself for mstp?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your grad school interests. If you're not doing a chemistry or related PhD, neither should matter or they should both matter equally, depending on how you look at it.

adoggie said:
how important is physical chemistry as a mstp-to-be? would you rather take phys chem or biochemical methods II to best prepare yourself for mstp?

I agree that it depends on your interests, but I personally think physical chemistry is more important. You can pick up methods at any time, but physical chemistry really brought a lot of things together for me. It provides a pretty good theoretical basis for thinking about chemistry (or biology in chemical terms, if you have a biophysical chemistry course). But that just my $0.02. I'm only a senior undergrad, so I haven't seen what will really help as an MSTP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Pchem is just good to know if you're going into any field of science. A lot of what you learn forms the basis of the techniques you use, so if you really want to understnad what you're doing and be able to troubleshoot it, pchem is great.

PostalWookie said:
I think Pchem is just good to know if you're going into any field of science. A lot of what you learn forms the basis of the techniques you use, so if you really want to understnad what you're doing and be able to troubleshoot it, pchem is great.

Amen to that.....it really does bring a new meaning to kinetics in chemical reactions (especially molecule/protein interactions). Thermo was EVIL....but I love quantum.

Great course and REALLY makes your ass think.......will make you a better investigator in my opinion.