Physician Assistant to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you would be able to help me!!!!

I'm a recent Finance Grad from a SUNY school. I have a 3.45 GPA and I'm thinking about do a PA before medical school. I study about 2 1/2 hours a day on MCAT review. My sister took her MCAT and scored a 38 on it. I tutored her from day one. I have no finished all my prereqs as of yet. I have still havea few classes to take ( ORG 1 & 2 )

My science GPA is now a 3.85

I wanted to know if i do my PA would I get some credit in medical school ? I actually want to go to medical school in San Juan for the experience as I'm not to keen on being in the US.

My question is would the PA benefit me in medical school, ( meaning will I get some year taken off of the 4 years) ?

BTW the way i had a one F and two D's early in my college life.All retaken and an A was the replacement grade

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a recent Finance Grad from a SUNY school. I have a 3.45 GPA and I'm thinking about do a PA before medical school. I study about 2 1/2 hours a day on MCAT review. My sister took her MCAT and scored a 38 on it. I tutored her from day one. I have no finished all my prereqs as of yet. I have still havea few classes to take ( ORG 1 & 2 )

I wanted to know if i do my PA would I get some credit in medical school ? I actually want to go to medical school in San Juan for the experience as I'm not to keen on being in the US.

My question is would the PA benefit me in medical school, ( meaning will I get some year taken off of the 4 years) ?

BTW the way i had a one F and two D's early in my college life.All retaken and an A was the replacement grade

Whoa.

Why do you want to do PA first? Why do you want to become a PA and not a physician right away? You understand that PA school is pretty tough to get into? How many hours of paid direct patient contact do you have? What are you scoring on your practice MCATs? What does your healthcare experience look like?

Why San Juan? You know that Caribbean MD graduates have an extremely tough time securing residencies. I cannot for the life of me think of any good reason to choose Carib. MD over either US MD or DO.

To answer your question, no, PA school will not take years off of your MD schooling.

Why San Juan? You know that Caribbean MD graduates have an extremely tough time securing residencies. I cannot for the life of me think of any good reason to choose Carib. MD over either US MD or DO.

Whoa, easy there. If we're talking San Juan PR, there are 3 US MD schools there. LCME accredited. In the Caribbean, but not Carib.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, easy there. If we're talking San Juan PR, there are 3 US MD schools there. LCME accredited. In the Caribbean, but not Carib.

I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that all Caribbean schools fell under the same umbrella.

...and back to why doing PA as a path to MD is a bad idea: no, you don't get any credit, none at all, in med school for being a PA. You still have to do 4 years of med school and then residency. PA isn't a "junior doctor" - it's an entirely separate career path, as is nursing.

Meanwhile, the GPAs for PR med schools are not much higher than what you have. Note that SJB lost its accreditation, so avoid that one.

I wanted to do a PA first because of the financial situation I am in. Even though I do not have children, I am the major bread winner in my family. Fours years with little money will hurt my family.

As for the medical schools in the Caribbean, my sisters friend went to school out there and is working in the same residency program as my older cousin who went to Georgetown.

Thanks for answering my question.

Its pains me that people still believe because some students decide Caribbean over the US that they couldn't cut the mustard. It's all about an experience. I would rather the experience in Puerto Rico over the one I would get in California.

I have over 75 hours shadowing . I'm actually a LPN and have over 250 volunteering in the ER.

BTW this forum is great and I respect everyone's opinion

...and back to why doing PA as a path to MD is a bad idea: no, you don't get any credit, none at all, in med school for being a PA. You still have to do 4 years of med school and then residency. PA isn't a "junior doctor" - it's an entirely separate career path, as is nursing.

Meanwhile, the GPAs for PR med schools are not much higher than what you have. Note that SJB lost its accreditation, so avoid that one.

What's the average GPA? I've been averaging a 39 on my practice MCAT exams .

I know it's a different career path but I would love to help my family faster.

I think I would be able to get my GPA up to a 3.70 but that's it.

I wanted to do a PA first because of the financial situation I am in. Even though I do not have children, I am the major bread winner in my family. Fours years with little money will hurt my family.

This doesn't make any sense. Going to PA school then med school later would put you in an even WORSE financial position than just going straight through -- both in terms of cost of education (paying for a PA program in addition to four years of medical school) and also in terms of opportunity cost (i.e., delaying an attending's salary for years).

If you think you may enjoy it, definitely investigate the PA field. But starting a program with the intention of going to medical school later is a poor decision, financially and otherwise.

This doesn't make any sense. Going to PA school then med school later would put you in an even WORSE financial position than just going straight through -- both in terms of cost of education (paying for a PA program in addition to four years of medical school) and also in terms of opportunity cost (i.e., delaying an attending's salary for years).

If you think you may enjoy it, definitely investigate the PA field. But starting a program with the intention of going to medical school later is a poor decision, financially and otherwise.

Why would it be. Doing a PA program in two years and making 100k coming out greatly help us out. My school of choice would be either a school in Puerto or Stony Brook university.

The PA program would be at CUNY YORK . Which would be cheap.

Delay my salary would better the life of my younger siblings.

Why would it be. Doing a PA program in two years and making 100k coming out greatly help us out. My school of choice would be either a school in Puerto or Stony Brook university.

The PA program would be at CUNY YORK . Which would be cheap.

Delay my salary would better the life of my younger siblings.

PA programs are 2 years + 1 internship year. I'm not certain if the clinical year is paid or not. That said, the median pay is $86,000 for all physician assistants. Expecting $100,000 right out of school is quite the stretch.

As others have said, delaying your path to medical school is a poor financial decision. Loans aren't getting any cheaper, and each year you delay means one more year until a real physician salary.

I'm just at a loss as to why someone who is hitting 39 on their practice MCAT with a 3.85 sGPA and 3.45cGPA would be considering anything other than US MD school. I think you need to take a good look in the mirror and decide what you want. You're a nurse who's considering a PA program only to become a physician down the road. For the sake of your wallet, figure out what you want and go for it!

I became an LPN through my High School program. I was an LPN at 18.

What's so bad about not wanting to go to school in the US ?

An education is an education and I've seen examples of two ppl I know. One who went to school in the US and another in the Car and both are in the same residency program.

If someone studied in India and came goths US it would not be a problem at all. A few equivalency test and s/he would be respected.

You're right about the PA...I could start way below where I would like.

With that being said I will pursue medical school instead
These were just thoughts of mine.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ALL!!!

An education is an education and I've seen examples of two ppl I know. One who went to school in the US and another in the Car and both are in the same residency program.

If someone studied in India and came goths US it would not be a problem at all. A few equivalency test and s/he would be respected.
Sorry but you're dreaming. I know a guy who won the lottery; does that mean everybody wins the lottery? Respect comes after you get into a residency, and that's a huge uphill battle as an IMG. US MD grads match at 95%. US IMGs match at 50%. Foreign IMGs match at 40%. See table 4 here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

If you want your career to be in PR, then there's no issue at all with doing an LCME-accredited PR school. But by giving up the chance to do a mainland school, you are walking away from considerably greater opportunities than you can find in PR. If you're cool with that, then there's no issue.

Best of luck to you.

Almost any PA program will cost you $75-100k in tuition and fees MINIMUM. Mine cost that much 14 yr ago. This will eat into your student loan availability for medical school and you may be forced to take expensive GradPlus loans to make up the difference if you max out your Stafford eligibility. It is virtually impossible (and often prohibited) to work in PA school and very difficult to work in medical school.

Although I am a PA who is now in medical school, I do not recommend this path to most. It is much more expensive than if I had gone directly to medical school. PA is and should be a valuable profession in its own right. It is not a stepping stone to medical school

Now, for what it's worth, my program DOES give me credit for one clinical year (my PA clinical year where we complete all the same core rotations that 3rd yr med students do) so I will graduate in 3 yr instead of 4. This is the only program in the nation set up this way and it is small and competitive.

Just go to medical school, OP.

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well other than medical school in the US. I love being in another environment and learning other cultures. I'm from South America and I would like study in another country.

As for an education being and education...I should have said to me and education is an education. If you wan something bad enough you will get it.

I live in New York where a public school child is considered to be not as smart as a a child who went to private school. From my experience most of my friends in public school have been " more successful" than my private school friends ( 2 public school friends in medical school )

I would t rule out doing international medicine. I would rather start practicing in the US.

@primadonna22274 thanks for the advice

I became an LPN through my High School program. I was an LPN at 18.

What's so bad about not wanting to go to school in the US ?

you want to go to a school in puerto rico? You know for most intents and purposes it is in the US?

Sounds like you're looking at medical school as a huge deal (financially, time-wise, etc) and PA school as a less big deal, and thinking perhaps it'd be easier for you and your family to step your way up to being a physician. Med school IS a huge deal, and it seems like you're trying to avoid biting off more than you can chew. I actually know a PA who became a physician, and let me tell you, the road is longer and harder doing it that way. It's more school and more debt. Think of the big picture. Years down the road you would see your years spent in PA school and as a PA as a waste of time, money and effort. If you want to be a doctor, go for it. You've got the smarts, you've got the stats. You would be competitive at almost any school in the US and that is a fantastic opportunity, for residency and beyond. Do your education right and you will have limitless career opportunities. Don't make the road any longer or harder than it already is.

I know Puerto Rico is a commonwealth it that what the post of pertaining to. It's not a state and the culture is different from the US.

I know most people will not understand but it's find

Sounds like you're looking at medical school as a huge deal (financially, time-wise, etc) and PA school as a less big deal, and thinking perhaps it'd be easier for you and your family to step your way up to being a physician. Med school IS a huge deal, and it seems like you're trying to avoid biting off more than you can chew. I actually know a PA who became a physician, and let me tell you, the road is longer and harder doing it that way. It's more school and more debt. Think of the big picture. Years down the road you would see your years spent in PA school and as a PA as a waste of time, money and effort. If you want to be a doctor, go for it. You've got the smarts, you've got the stats. You would be competitive at almost any school in the US and that is a fantastic opportunity, for residency and beyond. Do your education right and you will have limitless career opportunities. Don't make the road any longer or harder than it already is.

Im not worried about biting off more than I can chew. I've worked 2 jobs and had a course load of 22 credits. Plus coached a basketball team.

I've even played basketball for my school. While working going to school and helping my younger siblings in school.

I can work hard to get what I want....I just wanted to hear some ideas since I'm a fan of the forum

If you want to torture yourself with excess education, you can always complete a 2nd residency and/or a fellowship program. Both of those options would leave you in less debt than first completing a PA program. I urge you to choose one or the other for your career. You can take out loans to support your family for the MD route so that should not be a primary consideration. Also, if you go PA first, you are robbing someone else of a spot that they might really need. Be considerate.

I think you seem to have made up your mind. Go ahead, try doing PA first. You'll be wasting your time and lowering your md chances, but that's all you.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

No, you won't get any years taken off the 4 years.

Unless you plan to work for a few years before going back to medical school, you will never be able to use the PA degree. If you go directly from PA to medical school, all you will have is more debt.

I know Puerto Rico is a commonwealth it that what the post of pertaining to. It's not a state and the culture is different from the US.

I know most people will not understand but it's find

Right, it just sounded like maybe you were aquaiting the Puerto Rican medical schools with med schools that really are out of the country, in the carribean. I'm certainly no expert on the PR schools but I do know that at least one or some of them are just as good as if they were in a US state. It looked like maybe you were thinking that it was the same thing as other carribean schools.

Edit: I wasn't trying to be a downer, I think it would be way cool to go to school in PR. I think I will be looking into it more before I apply to med schools :)

Last edited:

I have to weigh in on this and agree with Dr. Midlife and most of the other responders; if you want to be a doctor, go to medical school. Life does not get easier; as someone who gave up med school and went into PA school because of being a single parent, life continually will place obstacles in your path, financially and otherwise. Just do it, bite the bullet and go. I "put off" med school for financial reasons and did PA instead. While I love my job it's 13 years later and now I'm in my late 40s still considering medical school. Hindsight being 20-20, just do it!