Physician's Assistant Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm starting college this fall, but i met this physicians assistant at this physicians office..and i was curious.
What would be better or is it required....?
Do i need to get a 4 yr degree or can i double major in this?
As a physicians assistant
Has anyone else tried the physicians assistant road?
I just would like to have some more information on this from other people....
It seems interesting, you get to go into rooms, examine patients.....something to do before med school,etc...
If anyone can help me out on info on this i would be thankful.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

becoming a physicians assistant is an outstanding career path.
But if your ultimate goal is to be a doctor i wouldn't recommend going through a PA program first. It seems like it would be very difficult. Just major in whatever you're interested in and be sure to take all of your med school pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obstetrics Man is correct to say that if your ultimate goal is to be an MD or DO than that is what you should work toward. The path to become a doctor is a long and arduous. To become a Physician Assistant first would simply be adding to the difficulty level. However, there are 4 year PA Programs. If you want to work in the medical field anyway and can gain acceptance, it might not be a bad way to go. If you grow tired of school and need a break or need to gain more medical experience to gain acceptance to Medical School, being a mid-level provider would be a good type to have. However, the program will most likely be far more academically challenging than most other undergraduate degrees. Physician assistances usually have a good working environment. The hours can be long and you will always be working for someone else. On the upside they get the reward of helping people and a reasonably good salary. There are actually a fair number of PA-to-Doctors out there.