Physics Ack!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poochlover11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just got my first exam score back for Physics I and I BOMBED IT!!! I am freakin out!! I came to class everyday, sat in the front row, took stellar notes, did all the reading, went to all the recitations and labs, did all the homework, reviewed all the posted old exams and I STILL did terrible :(. I need some advice guys because I am completely shaken and have lost my confidence in physics. What helped you guys get through physics?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, physics was all about understanding. Once I really understood the equations, understood what every value meant, something just clicks, and you can solve problems you've never seen or thought of before.

Talking about Newtonian physics. All the electrical crap just sucks, but if you can get your head around it, its not bad.

And yeah, Practice Problems - Also, get 1 or 2 other test books, and do their end of chapter problems. Usually text book problems are harder then exam problems, if you can do them from other textbooks, you should be good to go.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
My college was ridiculous in trying to schedule physics with all the science majors we have. So I took it at a community college. The good thing about it was that I could focus solely on that. The bad thing is that some Vet schools may look down upon that. Regardless it helped that it was my only class and if I don't get accepted into vet school I can find out how big of a factor it was by contacting admissions. Otherwise I would get help from a tutor and do more practice problems like the other posters said.

Do you have any friends in the class? What works well for me is starting a study group. That way, you can work on some problems together and explain things to each other. Sometimes, it helps to have someone just sort of sit with you and walk you through a couple problems before trying some more on your own.

Again, I agree with the practice problems and make sure you do them the correct way as well as getting the right answer. Do them a second time (and third, etc until you "get" the problem).

Meet with the prof before/after as many classes as you can (or during office hours) and work through problems/talk about where you are having problems.

Find one or two people in the class that you can study with and quiz each other! Good luck!

Like everyone else has said; calm down, take a deep breath, and recollect your thoughts. First, go to your prof. and ask what happened with the test and see the prof. feels you need to do to get a higher grade (and tell the prof. that this kind of situation does not happen for you often). Take a look at the test to see what went wrong and then start focusing on the next exam. Always do practice problems several times if needed on questions you feel most uncomfortable with. Do them until you know them and understand the material. Always understand the value of each symbol for an equation (really helps out big time since physics is mostly math). Go to the prof. during office hours and go to the student center to help you out if needed. Classmates are also great because you can actually retain the material better when quizzing/reinforcing the material with one another. One bad grade is not the end of the world, just think about all of us who were in your position at one point as well. You are not the only one who has had this problem before. I had to withdraw from Calculus I the first time I took it because I knew I was going to fail. I retook in the summer and did all the things I stated above and got an A! Whatever you do, DO NOT PANIC!!!

I'd suggest going to a tutor as well. I used to tutor for physics at my college and I saw tons of people, just like you, who felt that, no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't succeed at physics. Perhaps a more laid-back 1:1 forum would help and a good tutor can help you to approach problems from a different perspective.

Also remember that Newtonian physics is really another language but, once you finally crack the code, pretty much every problem is essentially the same. Practice solving equations for the various variables (e.g. F=ma to solve for force, m=F/a for mass, a=F/m for acceleration) and write them all down for reference. That way, once you figure-out that the answer is in terms of, say, "acceleration", then you can look through your equations and find the one that fits the variables given.

If you're good at chemistry and dimensional analysis, simply approach physics problems from this perspective and you're good to go!

Anyway, try the tutor. Most schools have free tutors on campus. Good luck!

When I took physics, before the first test I could tell it was going to be really hard, so I set up a study group with people in the class (even though I didn't know anybody going into it) and then when that helped but not enough, I scheduled a tutor for once a week. It was a little hard to admit to myself that a tutor would really help me since I had tutored others all my life, so I felt I should be able to explain/understand things, but it helped SO MUCH! He made me do more practice problems and then tried to show me a different way of thinking about it (and how to see it step-by-step) so that I could understand it.
(This probably doesn't tell you much that others haven't said yet, if anything, but I know when a class is tough for me it helps to hear I'm not crazy in thinking it's really hard.) :)

I GOT A TUTOR. Here, student services offers a free tutoring program for several courses, including physics. I would have paid for it, though... seriously worth it. Found a good guy (he was like 18 lol, but a math whiz and good at explaining) and stuck with him. World of difference.

Hang in there!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the ideas :). I think I will take advantage of extra practice problems and a tutor. And I also just found out that there is a review session that meets for the class as well. I guess the thing that threw me for a loop was I was completely prepared for math problems but on our exam he actually focused on more conceptual ideas. I'll take all your guys' advice and see what goes. Thanks again!

Chiming in again with the practice problems...do them until you can look at any problem and write down the equation as you read it. Once translating to the variables comes as second nature, it'll be a lot easier.

Also, as far as the conceptual stuff goes, don't panic if you see it on a test. Math and Physics go hand in hand...it seems like bad news at first (esp. for people like me who HATE math) - but it's a blessing in disguise. If you know how the math, you can figure out conceptual stuff - it just may take a bit more time. Likewise, if you know the conceptual stuff, you can figure out the math - it just takes a bit more time. Either approach will get you there, so pick whichever you're most comfortable with, and THINK when you do practice problems. Toy around a bit 'what would happen if I made the acceleration change...how would that affect time if everything else stayed the same?' etc. etc. etc.

I also found that a really helpful thing was to write out the equation, and use algebra to solve for the value instead of solving what could be solved right away. So, instead of squaring things right away if you knew values, just derive the equation you'll need and THEN plug in the values. ... helped a lot with the conceptual stuff, too, because you can see what will affect what without getting lost in the numbers.

I took a lot of physics being in engineering, and I really found that if you understand the concepts behind it (why the formulas are what they are), it was a pretty simple subject. It does take a while though...I remember that on my first Modern Physics test (relativity, quantum mechanics, and all that nonsense), I got a 6/14 on the test :laugh: I came out fine in the class though, so don't get discouraged and don't be initimidated by it. A lot of people try to make the subject harder than it is. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

I took a lot of physics being in engineering, and I really found that if you understand the concepts behind it (why the formulas are what they are), it was a pretty simple subject. It does take a while though...I remember that on my first Modern Physics test (relativity, quantum mechanics, and all that nonsense), I got a 6/14 on the test :laugh: I came out fine in the class though, so don't get discouraged and don't be initimidated by it. A lot of people try to make the subject harder than it is. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

I absolutely agree. Physics was the first science class in college that I got an A in, and I was a T.A. later for I and II. I currently teach physical science. I teach my kids that physics is really just common sense (except for those darn reflection/refraciton problems and angles of incidence :p). When you understand the concepts, you end up hitting yourself in the head and saying "Duh!" I actually came to one of these epiphanies in the middle of lecture in a crowded lecture hall. I was so excited, I yelled, "I get it!" Everyone just kind of looked at me.:laugh:

So, hang in there and try to understand what the problems are asking. Practicing them is good, but if you don't understand what you are practicing, you will end up back at ground zero. I always found that real world scenarios helped me best. You'll get it! Don't stress too much.