physics and chem...eek!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinganca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I said in a previous post, I'm currently in OT school. And have realized I made a mistake and should have gone for PT. Basically I talked myself out of it bc I've always been terrible at hard sciences (i.e. physics and chemistry). I've taken all the other prereqs and have gotten A's on everything, I've done about half the observation hours I would need for PT school, and I know I would make a great PT. But I'm not at all great at science courses. In fact they terrify me; I've tried taking physics twice before (as an audit, so no grade) and both times I was lost by the second class, even though I did the reading and tried to work through problems and went to tutoring. It's as if the prof and tutor were speaking a foreign language and I had not the slightest idea what they were talking about.

I was so intimidated by those classes that I went to OT school instead. (I don't need to be told what terrible reasoning that is; I'm well aware of it now that I'm stuck on the track to a profession that isn't right for me. :( )

Is there anyone who was in the same boat re: being terrible at physics and chem, who managed to get decent grades on those prereqs after all and get into PT school? Any advice would be very much appreciated. How did you do it? What would you recommend to someone else who struggles a great deal with these classes?

I'm having a hard time accepting that this should keep me out of a profession that I love and know I would succeed in.

Also, on an unrelated note, do you think it would hurt my chances of acceptance, having been in OT school and dropped out to try and switch to PT? The way I see it, it takes a lot more courage and determination and hard work to switch your path when you realize it's wrong; it would be much easier to just stay here in OT school where I have a guarantee. But I'm worried that PT admissions people might see it as flakiness, or not knowing what I want, or something negative like that.

Members don't see this ad.

I completely understand- I was in the same situation in undergrad. I was so frustrated by the chem/physics pre-req's, I freaked out mid-semester, withdrew from both, and decided I couldn't become a pt b/c of those courses. I thought very long and hard over the course of the following year, and one evening decided that no matter what, those weren't going to discourage me from attaining the only career I knew I'd love. I took chem during the summer by itself and contacted a tutor before the class started, and saw him twice a week (the course was accelerated, so it met m-th for 5 weeks, hence seeing the tutor so often..also, don't recommend an accelerated course unless that's all you're doing at the time). I stuck with the same tutor for physics during the fall semester and also saw the tutors the school offered for free 2-3 times a week. It's really tough, but once you get immersed in the subjects, they all start to make a bit more sense. Just admit to yourself in the beginning you're going to need help. Also, sites like ratemyprof. are there for a reason- I didn't take any pre-req's w/o checking them out first. You can do this!!

I thought very long and hard over the course of the following year, and one evening decided that no matter what, those weren't going to discourage me from attaining the only career I knew I'd love.

That's exactly it. I could keep going and be an OT, and I've been trying for months to convince myself that would be okay...but in the end I know that if I settle on anything other than PT, I will always regret selling myself short and not going for what I really wanted.

Part of me does think I'm crazy. Here I am, two years away from a stable, decently-paying career in a related healthcare field...why would I want to go back to struggling through sciences at community college, racking up an insane amount of loan debt, begging for LOR's, pestering people for observation hours, going on grad school interviews and (if I'm accepted) dissecting a dead person all over again? But in my heart I know that PT is the only profession I would be truly fulfilled doing.

I stuck with the same tutor for physics during the fall semester and also saw the tutors the school offered for free 2-3 times a week. It's really tough, but once you get immersed in the subjects, they all start to make a bit more sense. Just admit to yourself in the beginning you're going to need help. Also, sites like ratemyprof. are there for a reason- I didn't take any pre-req's w/o checking them out first. You can do this!!

Where did you find your main tutor? Was it a tutoring service offered through your school or what?

re: ratemyprof...I wish. There are only two profs that teach physics at the two community colleges I can attend, and between the two it's a matter of getting the lesser of two evils. Neither of them are helpful or care if we learn, and both are fond of making people feel stupid for asking questions and explaining things in a very perfunctory, rushed way. But if I want to be a PT, I'm just going to have to suck it up with one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year PT student and I got in on my first time applying with HORRIBLE chem/physics grades. I really struggled in those classes even with going to discussion sections and getting outside help. I ended up with a B- and a B+ in chem...B- and a C+ in physics. I figured if things didn't go well my first time applying, that I would take them again, but here I am. PT school isn't all about grades. I really don't think they would think any less of your application for not continuing on with OT. People make career changes all the time. It's not fair to you to stick with something you don't love. Best of luck with it all! All I suggest is that you try to retain physics I...you'll definitely need it for kinesiology/biomechanics!

I totally relate!! I went back and forth between pt and ot soooo many times. I too thought I was bad at Chem and physics-I struggled with Chem then and had never even taken physics. I took the gre and decided that based on my score, I would apply and take the classes. Well I got a decent score so I did it.

It wasn't easy. I studied all the time and went to the tutors weekly. The tutors were through the departments. Well, i ended up with Bs and As and was accepted to pt school :) if it's what you want just try. You'll never regret trying but you will ALWAYS regret not trying.

also, i think it's more important to get good grades in your anatomy/physio/etc type classes than physics or chem-just my opinion. you said you have As in your other pre-reqs so i think that will look good b/c those classes are more PT related than physics and chem. if we all could do it, you can do it too!!

re: ratemyprof...I wish. There are only two profs that teach physics at the two community colleges I can attend, and between the two it's a matter of getting the lesser of two evils. Neither of them are helpful or care if we learn, and both are fond of making people feel stupid for asking questions and explaining things in a very perfunctory, rushed way. But if I want to be a PT, I'm just going to have to suck it up with one of them.

That totally sucks that the professors are like that... unfortunately, we all have dealt with it, and it's just a matter of sucking it up and getting through it...

I was hesitant to go for PT, I had already graduated with my bachelor's, but I definitely wasn't happy. I'd say "Oh but I have to take this class and that class" and it seemed so daunting... and then one day someone said, "Yeah? So? Just do it!" And it clicked.

To get where you want to be, sometimes you have to take steps you don't want to, or don't like.

The fact of the matter is, physics and chem are required. So, I would suggest maybe only taking 1 at a time if you struggle. Physics is a hard subject. It's got wide applications and every situation is slightly different... Too bad you couldn't take physics from the profs I had. They were great, and I actually *gasp* enjoyed physics a little! Never, EVER thought I'd say that. :p

So, I agree with the others-- we all got through it, and you can too! You just need to commit, believe in yourself and do whatever you have to do (not necessarily what you want to do) to get through them!

I have a feeling you will regret this for the rest of your life if you don't.

So, GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT! :)