Physics Background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an MS-1 interested with an interest in oncology. I'm fascinated by both heme-onc as well as radiation oncology; pretty much anything but surgery. On to my question:
One of the reservations I have about radiation oncology is my math/physics background. At my undergrad institution, I have only completed Calc I and basic physics. Will this be a major setback? And if so, any recommendations as to how to combat it if I plan to apply to rad-onc programs?
Also, to expand on this question, to what degree do the MDs employ knowledge of physics and math in treatment planning? What exactly is the role of the physicist?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am an MS-1 interested with an interest in oncology. I'm fascinated by both heme-onc as well as radiation oncology; pretty much anything but surgery. On to my question:
One of the reservations I have about radiation oncology is my math/physics background. At my undergrad institution, I have only completed Calc I and basic physics. Will this be a major setback? And if so, any recommendations as to how to combat it if I plan to apply to rad-onc programs?
Also, to expand on this question, to what degree do the MDs employ knowledge of physics and math in treatment planning? What exactly is the role of the physicist?
Thanks so much!

No mathematics or physics background is required. All you need for math/physics are: "similar triangles", "arc-tangent", and "y-vs-x" graphs. It also helps to be able to see things in 3D (if I turn the table this way and turn the gantry this way, which way will my beams come in from?). So, if you passed 10th grade math, you are good.

Everything else will be taught to you during your residency, and really, there is not that much physics that you need to know as a physician beyond having a qualitative grasp of what happens. Someone with real physics [say, quantum mechanics] background will laugh at what rad onc physicians call "physics". It's very much filtered down for clinicians. Besides, even people with real physics background have to re-learn medical physics, so it really is of no advantage.

Physicists are very very important in making what you want actually happen, at all levels. I will be paralyzed without good physicsts I have: machine maintenance, IMRT QAs, trouble shooting machine hiccups, radiosurgery planning, brachytherapy planning, overseeing dosimetrists and IT, etc. The list goes on and on.

ps: Some of you will struggle with physics course during residency and think it's because of your perceived deficiency in physics background. In reality, the real reason is that radiation oncology physics is usually poorly taught by people who do not have a lot of teaching experience and do not know what clinicians need. So, they will just go way above your head and start throwing equations and fancy technical words as if they are talking to physics graduate students. Don't get frustrated. Block them out and don't listen to them. Seek help elsewhere... from your senior residents who have passed physics written boards, for example.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks so much!

All I knew going into radonc residency was the "ball rolling down a hill" physics from undergrad, and it didn't matter one bit.

You need to know enough physics to be able to intelligently discuss treatment planning with your medical physicist/dosimetrist, but you'll learn that in preparation for your written physics boards.