Physics EK questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hexon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, from EK physics q185:
relating to a frictionless inclined plane with theta being angle, d=total length of ramp, and h=height of ramp, m=mass of block on ramp.
if h=5m, m=5kg, theta=30 degrees and the mass starts to move from rest, how long does it take the mass to move the distance d.

now i understand that sine 30=5/d=1/2 with d=10, but i don't understand what the answer means when they say according to the distance travelled equation: d=1/2at^2, d=10, what're the steps involved where u find time?:p

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

If d = vot + 1/2at^2, then when vo = 0 m/s, then d = 1/2at^2
a = 5 m/s^2, so d = 1/2(5)(t^2), so 10 = 2.5t^2
4 = t^2

t = 2 seconds

Does that help?

it does a lot:), have a cookie
16213-cookie-monster_with_text.jpg

but can you please tell me how you got the acceleration?how did you find a=5m/s^2

ah that makes so much sense now:)

so to clarify, for all newtonian physical problems, the definition of acceleration is 'gsintheta'?:p that makes sense considering f=ma=mg(sintheta).

tell me, why would kinetic energy and potential energy equal each other when the mass starts to move?
PE = mgh = 1/2mv(f)^2

so to clarify, for all newtonian physical problems, the definition of acceleration is 'gsintheta'?:p that makes sense considering f=ma=mg(sintheta).

The general expression for the acceleration of an object is F = ma where F is the vector sum of all the forces on the object and m is the mass. For each problem, there may be several forces on the object, so don't try to find an expression to memorize for every type of problem. I can come up with inclined plane problems where the net force on the object is not mgsin(θ) down the ramp.

If you want to know what the net force is, you need to draw a free-body diagram and label all the forces. From that, you can figure out with the net force is and use the equation of motion to find the acceleration.