Physics hybrid (in person lab, online lecture) or physics all online (lab and lecture)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peregrino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to finish up a physics course. The course is offered at a well-kniwn 4-year university as part of a semi-formal DIY postbacc; has online lectures but one section has in-person lab and the other section has lab at home. Same professor for both lectures and labs. Tests appear to be proctored through ProctorU but not sure; I have taken ProctorU-proctured courses there.

These are the only physics courses offered in their post bacc program. The physics department claims the courses are the same material and format as the regular undergrad physics courses.

However, that 4-year school is a 2- hour round trip commute, if I were to take the in-person lab. The commute is doable if tedious because I’ve taken in-person classes and labs there before the pandemic started.

Note: I took an analogous physics course at another school in 2006, but I was not a committed premed back then. Got an A. So maybe I don’t need this new physics course? Yet, so many med schools want the prereqs to be recent, 7-10 years.

Any advice?

I should add that I have already been taking other upper level (bio)science courses along the way, such as endocrinology, neuroanatomy, pathophysiology, cardiovascular disease, cancer biology, nutrition, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is unlikely that online vs in person classes will be differentiated on your transcript. If you want to apply to schools with a recency requirement, you have to take it. If you're okay with ruling them out, you don't have to.