Physics please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, can you guys help me on this physics problem from my test prep book? It seems pretty basic but I'm just not getting the right answer.

Here it is:

A Coast Guard cutter detects an unidentified ship at a distance of 16.0 km in the direction 15.0° east of north. The ship is traveling at 22.0 km/h on a course at 40.0° east of north. The Coast Guard wishes to send a speedboat to intercept and investigate the vessel.

(a) If the speedboat travels at 44.0 km/h, in what direction should it head? Express the direction as a compass bearing with respect to due north.

(b) Find the time required for the cutter to intercept the ship.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I used sine law on the triangle.

First I let t be the amount of time in hours it would take to intercept the boat. This give you a triangle with one defined length and 2 variable length (well, length that have t in them, they're not exactly variable...see part b).
Using sine law, the two t's will cancel and then we get the angle to be sent out to be 31.7 degrees E of N. Another sine law will help you solve the amount of time taken. I got 0.663 hours.

Is this the answer in your book?
Hope that help!:)