PHYSIOLOGY FOR NEW MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen conflicting info on this. I am going into my last semester before the MCAT and am planning to take organic II, physiology and biochemistry. I have heard that physiology would be useful, I am also an RN and feel that it would be a good refresher for me in general and in my practice. Others have said the opposite in that it would not be useful. Would you recommend taking physiology, or would you advise a different course? Thank you.

-Ben, RN

Members don't see this ad.

physiology is not that vital... i feel like it was tested alot less than Kaplan's estimated weights that weren't that high to start with.... obviously i can't get into it too much but i was shocked at how small and straight-forward physiology was (obv. others might have different experiences)

plus, as mentioned, it is not that hard to learn on your own.

lastly the q's i remember were pretty easy. some might have even tested basic logic and very superficial knowledge. i've definitely seen alot of painful physiology practice Q's though.

differentiators on exam are much more basic biology and biochem... a few other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
physiology is not that vital... i feel like it was tested alot less than Kaplan's estimated weights that weren't that high to start with.... obviously i can't get into it too much but i was shocked at how small and straight-forward physiology was (obv. others might have different experiences)

plus, as mentioned, it is not that hard to learn on your own.

lastly the q's i remember were pretty easy. some might have even tested basic logic and very superficial knowledge. i've definitely seen alot of painful physiology practice Q's though.

differentiators on exam are much more basic biology and biochem... a few other things.
Would you suggest taking a cellular physiology class instead?

I have seen conflicting info on this. I am going into my last semester before the MCAT and am planning to take organic II, physiology and biochemistry. I have heard that physiology would be useful, I am also an RN and feel that it would be a good refresher for me in general and in my practice. Others have said the opposite in that it would not be useful. Would you recommend taking physiology, or would you advise a different course? Thank you.

-Ben, RN
Physio is going to a lotttt of work with orgo 2 + biochem... I'd recommend taking a genetics course or advanced cell bio course before the MCAT, if anything. However, I took a physio course before the MCAT and it helped me on a lot of questions (got a 130 in bio/biochem). So, it's ultimately up to you and your judgment.

as another poster and i both said, exam experiences depend on what actual exam you took. and tons of other things that relate to the candidate.

the way i looked at is this:

CARs is its own section. not sure you'll do that much better with alot of studying. others will disagree. maybe you can game the exam a bit.

P/S is pretty easy to learn, although i didn't know it well enough for my first exam. my memorization (not "knowing how the pieces fit together) was not good enough...... i would recommend a MEMORY COURSE to people. after all, you are trying to get a good grade on exam, not really understand the material. at least NOT P/S

that leaves 5 hard science areas (and i'll describe what i recall vis-a-vis Kaplan chapters)

biology - A) i think the earlier 12 chapters were cells, genetics, virus, bacteria, B) later chapters were pshysiology. i don't think you need a professor to learn this well... i don't remember a 3rd section of book.

chemistry - even though it's 3rd most important subject, you need to know all of it and very well. the questions they give you would be simple with an open-book (not true of other sections)

OC - first couple of chapters (chirality etc.). know these...... late chapters: measurement - very important, easy to overlook... in-between chapters aren't that important. even the study services say de-emphasize these.... this is something a professor would be very helpful with, but it's not that important. you can learn early chapters and late chapters with practice Q's. middle chapters are a big pain, but not that important.

physics - know it all. not that hard to learn. don't leave to last minute if you don't know it. big mistake i made.

biochem - amino acids, enzymes early chapters really key.... late chapters = energy cycles. seems like it would be important, but i thought it was pretty light... can't remember what the middle chapters were. carbs, proteins, fats??.. if i don't remember what they were exactly then they probably weren't important.

so for me, THE EXAM basically comes down to the cell/virus/bacteria/genetics from biology and amino acids/enzymes from biotech.. if you know these well, then put alot of emphasis elsewhere, but if you don't know these then concentrate here.... also, anything measurement related like tests (chromatography, spectroscropy sp?, units used). make sure you know those.