Physiology on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovepink89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is on 5/24 and I have not reviewed physiology (the last half of the princeton review biology book). I took physiology and anatomy about 2 years ago and I thought I'd remember it but realized I don't. The last few days I've been in a panic, reading on different bodily systems but I feel like studying the physio stuff is dumbing me down because all i'm trying to do is memorize a bunch of hormones and names and stuff. All the rest of the studying I've been doing has helped my analytical skills a lot and now I feel like I'm getting used to just regurgitating facts. Should I keep on studying physio or is there a better way to spend my last couple of weeks?? Thank you !!

Members don't see this ad.

My MCAT is on 5/24 and I have not reviewed physiology (the last half of the princeton review biology book). I took physiology and anatomy about 2 years ago and I thought I'd remember it but realized I don't. The last few days I've been in a panic, reading on different bodily systems but I feel like studying the physio stuff is dumbing me down because all i'm trying to do is memorize a bunch of hormones and names and stuff. All the rest of the studying I've been doing has helped my analytical skills a lot and now I feel like I'm getting used to just regurgitating facts. Should I keep on studying physio or is there a better way to spend my last couple of weeks?? Thank you !!

MCAT Physio is mostly memorization and very little concepts. I don't know how much validity there is to this, but when I was studying I felt like I needed to memorize the following physio-related things (I had most of it already memorized because I had 1.5 semesters of anatomy & physio under my belt).

1. The major hormones, where they are made and secreted from, what type of hormone they are (so you know where their receptor is), their main function, and their main target organ.
2. Alimentary tract and the main function of each alimentary organ.
3. Chambers of the heart and how blood flows through it. Also systemic circulation (aorta, artery, arteriole, capillary, venule, vein, ivc, etc).
4. Basic Neuro anatomy (brain, cord, etc). What sympathetic and parasympathetic control.
5. Nephron anatomy and the main function of each part of the renal tubule.
6. Tissue types
7. Musculoskeletal basics (agonist/antagonist muscle groups)
8. Basic respiratory anatomy (nose/mouth, trachea, bronchi, bronchiole, alveoli, lung, etc)

Across AAMC3-11 and my real MCAT, I saw at least 5 questions from each of those topics. I even got one wrong on my real MCAT because I am an idiot.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT Physio is mostly memorization and very little concepts. I don't know how much validity there is to this, but when I was studying I felt like I needed to memorize the following physio-related things (I had most of it already memorized because I had 1.5 semesters of anatomy & physio under my belt).

1. The major hormones, where they are made and secreted from, what type of hormone they are (so you know where their receptor is), their main function, and their main target organ.
2. Alimentary tract and the main function of each alimentary organ.
3. Chambers of the heart and how blood flows through it. Also systemic circulation (aorta, artery, arteriole, capillary, venule, vein, ivc, etc).
4. Basic Neuro anatomy (brain, cord, etc). What sympathetic and parasympathetic control.
5. Nephron anatomy and the main function of each part of the renal tubule.
6. Tissue types
7. Musculoskeletal basics (agonist/antagonist muscle groups)
8. Basic respiratory anatomy (nose/mouth, trachea, bronchi, bronchiole, alveoli, lung, etc)

I have to disagree, I think MCAT pysio, and physio in general should be approached from a conceptual point. If you can relate things to one another and make sense of things, then you will have a better time than just memorizing facts without meaning.

OP you should focus on digestive, reproductive, immune, kidneys, endocrine, nervous system, circulatory, cardio, respiratory (in that order) because I feel that on most of the AAMC practice tests the frequency of topics was similar to what I listed (going from most frequent to least). I'd spend very little time on brain anatomy, and from neuro you'll probably just want to understand basic action potential / nervous system roles and mechanisms.

Idk, maybe I'm overlooking the conceptual part, but of the following two questions, I think the first one is more likely to show up on the MCAT.

What is Aldosterones main action in the distal convoluted tubule?

A. Increase potassium reabsorption
B. Form aquaporins
C. Increase sodium reabsorbtion
D. Increase urine volume

By increasing potassium secretion in the distal convoluted tubule, Aldosterone has which of the following effects?

A. Increase blood volume
B. Decrease concentration of urine
C. Increase resting membrane potential in the cells of the distal convoluted tubule
D. Decrease GFR

If you have Aldosterone's effects memorized you can answer both questions. If you have a good understanding of physio you can only answer the second question.

Edit: Answers are C and A, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk, maybe I'm overlooking the conceptual part, but of the following two questions, I think the first one is more likely to show up on the MCAT.

What is Aldosterones main action in the distal convoluted tubule?

A. Increase potassium reabsorption
B. Form aquaporins
C. Increase sodium reabsorbtion
D. Increase urine volume

By increasing potassium secretion in the distal convoluted tubule, Aldosterone has which of the following effects?

A. Increase blood volume
B. Decrease concentration of urine
C. Increase resting membrane potential in the cells of the distal convoluted tubule
D. Decrease GFR

If you have Aldosterone's effects memorized you can answer both questions. If you have a good understanding of physio you can only answer the second question.

Absolutely not true. A good understanding of anything means you know the basics well enough to apply them to novel situations, like those that are presented in the newer form of the MCAT. Anyways I'm going to bed. I have 2 more finals that I need to do well on so I can get my 4.0 for the semester :)

Absolutely not true. A good understanding of anything means you know the basics well enough to apply them to novel situations, like those that are presented in the newer form of the MCAT.

Fine you win :D

What is your science GPA and MCAT? Is one C and two B is very big deal? C is in cal one and organic chem also but I will retake organic one.
I got two B -one in Physics and one in gen chem ii.

Last edited:
Is there any site which give old papers of MCAT?
Do i have to take physiology or just read and go for MCAT?

Last edited:
OP you should focus on digestive, reproductive, immune, kidneys, endocrine, nervous system, circulatory, cardio, respiratory (in that order) because I feel that on most of the AAMC practice tests the frequency of topics was similar to what I listed (going from most frequent to least). I'd spend very little time on brain anatomy, and from neuro you'll probably just want to understand basic action potential / nervous system roles and mechanisms.

Does anyone else agree with this order?

Does anyone else agree with this order?

I think the order is quite fair. I bolded what I personally believe to be quite emphasized areas by the MCAT. In fact, hormones (endocrine) are intricately linked to the kidneys, and the MCAT takes note of this. For example, I feel like understanding aldosterone/ADH and how they mediate reabsorption of fluid from the filtrate of the kidneys into the blood is essential.

Regards,
Vlad

I think the order is quite fair. I bolded what I personally believe to be quite emphasized areas by the MCAT. In fact, hormones (endocrine) are intricately linked to the kidneys, and the MCAT takes note of this. For example, I feel like understanding aldosterone/ADH and how they mediate reabsorption of fluid from the filtrate of the kidneys into the blood is essential.

Regards,
Vlad

What is the best source you've found that goes over this well?

What is the best source you've found that goes over this well?

I actually had a physiology course right before the MCAT that covered such topics. I am not sure about good sources for this. I am sure Wikipedia or a Google search would be plenty adequate though.

Regards,
Vlad