Physiology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this doesn't belong here but I am a bit stumped with a physiology question.

"Why does breathing slow down during times of concentration?"

My initial response would be due to parasympathetic dominance. Can anyone expand on this for me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know, but I will guess and bump the thread. Maybe it is because when you concentrate you are less active hence less oxygen required for metabolism and less CO2 produced.

Members don't see this ad :)
please people....anyone have any ideas?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think your hypothesis that it's due to parasympathetic dominance is off. Parasympathetic influence under rest conditions is always dominant over sympathetic influence (I'm assuming a healthy person here). In fact, strong mental concentration leads to physiological arousal which suggests a decrease in parasympathetic influence and concomitant increase in sympathetic influence. These changes are probably minor, but nevertheless, they do change the sympathovagal balance and are probably responsible for breathing rate/heart rate adjustments during mental concentration.

I agree. In the case of increased concentration, you have an increase in sympathetic discharge. This will cause an increase in bronchiolar radius, thus decreasing the total airway resistance. In this situation, if you were to increase your respiration rate, but air is able to more "freely" flow (assuming normal ventilation pressure), you would start to to move into respiratory alkalosis since you'd be blowing off a ton of CO2. This is all assuming the level of concentration does not result in an significant increase in heart rate. This is not a problem during stress that results in increased activity, since the working skeletal muscle would not only require more oxygen, but at the same time produce more CO2 thus increasing ventilation.

An easier answer may just be during concentration you have a minor decrease in metabolic rate (I'm assuming "concentration" in this case is studying NOT taking an exam) since you're probably in a relaxing environment like home and not being chased by a lion. This decrease in metabolic rate will result in decrease PaCO2 thus decreasing respiratory drive.

g

Sometimes, if I think too hard I just forget to breath.

not sure what the answer is, but I think it should be brought up that you are probably NOT going to change pa02 and pco2. my guess is that although the breathing frequency is slower, the breaths are deeper, and the total ventilation is about the same, if not more.

We all know to take a deep breath when we want to clear our brain and concentrate. Maybe you're looking at a secondary and not a primary effect.... the primary effect is to increase the deepness of the breath, and the secondary response is to slow down breathing frequency. The correct question (if im right) would then be, why does taking a deep breath benefit our brains?

we definitely performed this experiment in lab several times and concentration definitely does NOT increase respiration rate, it nearly stopped at certain points with the participant taking larger than normal breaths about every 15 to 20 seconds.

The correct question (if im right) would then be, why does taking a deep breath benefit our brains?

The question I have to answer is: "why do breathing patterns slow down during concentration?"

Because of a lower demand for oxygen.

http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=664&qID=4618722

Southwell

Here's a long answer.

Actually, pO2/pCO2 levels have little to do with respiration rate! It has to do with [H+]....for a quick review revisit the chapter on cellular respiration, pulmonary respiration, and the medulla oblongata (even brain stem overall will do). Usually when you're number-crunching a huge math problem, you are not likely sprinting through the jungle (usually!). Therefore, your plasma H+ levels are relatively lower (much lower) than during intense physical exercise. This means reduced medullary upregulation of breathing rate via the vagus nerve. Therefore, the lower breathing rate. There is also no evidence (that I found on Google Scholar or PubMed) in support of a mechanism of deeper/slower breaths versus shallower/rapid breaths.

Then again, if you're concentrating hard to beat a clock on the MCAT, your heart rate's higher, but your breathing rate stays constant (maybe even slows down further!). This again makes sense if you're sitting down and there is little physical activity besides neuronal activity. And there is always enough oxygen in your blood to meet the brain's demand for short intense bouts of concentration while resting. Over longer periods, you just wear out and start getting distracted. This also makes sense, because O2 levels have little to do to up regulate breathing. Taking a quick break to do some pushups or other physical exercise really boosts concentration/mental performance because these can actually raise respiratory rates by increasing cellular respiration which in turn boosts H+ concentrations.

Hope this helps.:thumbup:

This is not quite accurate for two reasons.

1. Acutely, pCO2 and pH are inversely related since CO2 and H2O form acid. Therefore, pCO2 can be thought of as controlling respiration under normal conditions, since a rise in pCO2 causes a decrease in pH.
2. paO2 induces respiratory drive if it falls below a certain point via sensors in the aortic body.

Here's a long answer.

Actually, pO2/pCO2 levels have little to do with respiration rate! It has to do with [H+]....for a quick review revisit the chapter on cellular respiration, pulmonary respiration, and the medulla oblongata (even brain stem overall will do). Usually when you're number-crunching a huge math problem, you are not likely sprinting through the jungle (usually!). Therefore, your plasma H+ levels are relatively lower (much lower) than during intense physical exercise. This means reduced medullary upregulation of breathing rate via the vagus nerve. Therefore, the lower breathing rate. There is also no evidence (that I found on Google Scholar or PubMed) in support of a mechanism of deeper/slower breaths versus shallower/rapid breaths.

Then again, if you're concentrating hard to beat a clock on the MCAT, your heart rate's higher, but your breathing rate stays constant (maybe even slows down further!). This again makes sense if you're sitting down and there is little physical activity besides neuronal activity. And there is always enough oxygen in your blood to meet the brain's demand for short intense bouts of concentration while resting. Over longer periods, you just wear out and start getting distracted. This also makes sense, because O2 levels have little to do to up regulate breathing. Taking a quick break to do some pushups or other physical exercise really boosts concentration/mental performance because these can actually raise respiratory rates by increasing cellular respiration which in turn boosts H+ concentrations.

Hope this helps.:thumbup:

1. Acutely, pCO2 and pH are inversely related since CO2 and H2O form acid. Therefore, pCO2 can be thought of as controlling respiration under normal conditions, since a rise in pCO2 causes a decrease in pH.
2. paO2 induces respiratory drive if it falls below a certain point via sensors in the aortic body.

Thanks for that insight, PhotoMD. Sorry I wasn't entirely accurate in my answer. I looked some more and found this:

http://www.the-aps.org/publications/tphys/legacy/1964/issue4/319.pdf (dated article, but points to pCO2 and H+ playing a cumulative role in moderating ventilation rates.)

and here's a more recent med school lecture:

http://physioweb.med.uvm.edu/summer301/2005Handouts/Respiration/Respiration_Lecture%206 COB new.ppt

So it is the chemoreceptors picking up on pCO2 and H+ levels among other things.

Still I think that resting while concentrating does little to boost H+ levels. And as we sit for longer periods concentrating on something, our low breathing rate leads to higher pCO2 levels and this results in a decreased ability to concentrate. A cycle perhaps? I think the way the body's designed, it requires rest and calm while problem-solving. I also read something about higher brain function having an inhibitory effect on the respiratory centers of the medulla.

That's basicly what I was saying. You just said it much better.:laugh:

g