PI LOR for residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaugh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is perhaps an improper request, but would any of the faculty here be willing to send me a LOR example for a student applying to residency programs? You can anonymize to your heart's content, I'm just looking for some general format and what to focus on. My PI has tasked me with drafting my own. Ultimately I don't mind as it does give me a bit more control in terms of narrative and this is pretty standard in the research world (doesn't seem to be in medicine, but perhaps I'm incorrect), but I'm not sure where to start. I am not planning to apply PSTP-track.

If not, any recommendations on how to draft it would be appreciated - format, what to focus on, examples to give, and how to gear it toward residency programs.

And for all the students on here - the horizon is there and you will reach it.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally:
- I have known Student since 20xx when they joined my lab
- General outline of type of work done
- Effusive description of Student's outstanding scientific talents, with reference to specific examples of notable achievements, incl successful navigation of hurdles, speed/innovativeness in experimental approaches, high impact publications, any grant funding obtained, etc
- Student has my wholehearted and enthusiastic recommendation; they will be an asset to any residency program etc etc, please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions

If you are not applying to research oriented programs this letter probably won't matter as much as the dean's letter/clinical grades. They will just want evidence that you are a team player and will become a good clinician.

If you are applying to research oriented programs (even if not formal PSTPs), this letter is important and it's better to go over the top than sell yourself short. There seems to be a bit of an expectation of outsize claims to stellar achievement and a letter that is just normally positive may be read as insufficiently enthusiastic.

Reactions: 2 users