Picking answers for the wrong reasons (VR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunasly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here sometimes pick an answer in a VR passage for the wrong reason? For instance, when I read a passage and look at some of the answer choices, I can eliminate some right of the bat. Not really for any particular reason, but often because they don't "feel" right (i.e., they seem to have no relevance to the question) or they weren't really mentioned in the passage.

When I go look at the answers at the back, they seem to go into a lot of detail about why one answer is correct and why another isn't. In many instances I have answered questions correctly based off of what I felt was right. I just don't feel that I have time to really analyze the answer choices and come to a conclusion.

Does anyone else experience this?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, out of the 4 VR answer choices, there's usually 2 that are easy to eliminate, and 2 that seem tempting. Not being mentioned in the passage is a great reason to eliminate an answer choice. Not "feeling right" can be misleading since wrong answer choices are designed to seem correct. I suspect that if you start analyzing why your answers are correct or incorrect that you will start to find patterns. AAMC tends to use the same reasons over and over for answers being correct or incorrect. Once you see the patterns, things will get easier.

In my experience, out of the 4 VR answer choices, there's usually 2 that are easy to eliminate, and 2 that seem tempting. Not being mentioned in the passage is a great reason to eliminate an answer choice. Not "feeling right" can be misleading since wrong answer choices are designed to seem correct. I suspect that if you start analyzing why your answers are correct or incorrect that you will start to find patterns. AAMC tends to use the same reasons over and over for answers being correct or incorrect. Once you see the patterns, things will get easier.

Would you be able to share with us some of the patterns that you have seen? Or any tips specifically for AAMC VR?

Pretty much all of the questions I miss are like this! Some of them are unbelievable. Out of 40 questions, it seems like 5 might be like this. I'm just trying to understand their rationale and think like the author of the test. Hopefully that helps.