PICU opportunities after a peds fellowsip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalO'Thane

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing a peds anesthesia fellowship but also like the idea of eventually mixing my anesthesia practice with work in a PICU. Is it possible to work in a PICU after a peds fellowship in the same way that one can work in both adult anesthesia and the SICU after a critical care fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

After a pure peds anesthesia fellowship - no.

There are a couple of hybrid peds anesthesia/PICU fellowships out there (Hopkins comes to mind since several of my attendings went that path), but I think that mostly residents in Pediatrics enter those programs. I would defer to those more knowledgable than myself, however.

No. To do a PICU fellowship, you must be peds board eligible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to add that it is also possible to do PICU through surgery as well.

No. To do a PICU fellowship, you must be peds board eligible.

if you read the peds CC board exam requirements, there is a small loophole for "exceptional [adult] anesthesia faculty candidates", for what it's worth.

the question will be, if there is a shortage of peds intensivists in the future, will having done peds anesthesia and one of the hybrid fellowships/one with extensive ICU expereince be enough to have to attend from time to time? we'll see. I'd like to do it as well.

It's the difference between being board eligble and actually practicing. Many peds anesthesia trained faculty work in the PICU without being board certified. The only sure way is to do peds, anesthesia, picu fellowship, peds anesthesia. As others mentioned, there are combined programs that cut off a year or 2. There's a PGY7 doing it in my CA1 class.

I know two people who are currently on the path to becoming PICU attendings.

Both are doing the following:

Peds residency (3 years) -> Anesthesiology residency (3 years) -> Pediatric anesthesiology fellowship (1 year) -> Pediatric CC fellowship (1 year)