Pitt vs. Brown vs. Case vs. Boston vs. OU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luna25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very grateful to be in a position where I get to decide between these five schools. I am almost shocked that I have the opportunity to go to medical school, let alone get to choose where I attend.

Some background: I have a strong interest in dermatology and psychiatry. I would like to get involved in research in both of these areas and find mentorship as well. I’d like to go to a school that has strong residencies in these specialties to maximize my chances of matching (especially into derm since it is competitive). I’m also a non-trad so would love to go somewhere that supports its students well.

I am also wait-listed at Duke :( was my top choice but I am thankful to have these opportunities!

Pitt
Pros
  • Very strong Psychiatry research, one of top in nation
  • Has a dermatology residency program, but I’m not sure about how strong it is
  • Clinical training sounds amazing at UPMC
  • Lots of NIH funding
  • Longitudinal research project and mentorship
  • Opportunities to learn point of care ultrasound
  • P/F curriculum (pre-clerkships)
  • Top ranked program in general

Cons
  • Student I interviewed with said that Admin wasn’t very supportive and some students have had issues with that
  • New curriculum - I believe we will be the second cohort of students to experience it
  • Have seen some students complain about Pitt Med on reddit - not sure how much stock to put into this
  • Don’t really know if I will like living in Pittsburgh. Weather seems dreary.
  • Case based learning, some required in-person classes
  • Cost - have not received financial aid yet
  • Didn’t get the best vibes on interview day, but it was over Zoom
  • Shockingly, I have been looking at apartments and they are expensive - comparable in price to where I live in Denver. COL is probably lower overall though.
  • No support network although I do have an acquaintance who lives in Pittsburgh

Brown
Pros
  • Opportunities to get involved with a researcher that I worked with in undergrad
  • Lots of psychiatric hospitals, some are the oldest in the country
  • Location is by the ocean, near other big east-coast cities, and I think I would like Providence
  • Opportunities to take classes at the Rhode Island School of Design (e.g. anatomical drawing and things like that) which is super cool
  • Had good vibes on interview day, interviewers seemed interested in me as a person and said they think I would be a good fit
  • Has a dermatology & several psych residency programs

Cons
  • No support network in RI
  • Brown isn’t as highly ranked as Pitt
  • Potentially cost - I have not received a financial aid package yet and I’m not really sure about COL in Providence. It’s a little lower than where I live in Denver.

Case Western
Pros
  • Highly ranked dermatology residency
  • Opportunities to possibly do rotations at Cleveland Clinic (but it’s not guaranteed)
  • Got pretty good vibes on interview day, the student interviewer was really friendly and she also had a dog (kinda silly but we said we could set up playdates for our dogs which is super cute)
  • COL is definitely lower and I could potentially even buy a home
  • Great residency match - lots of students match into competitive specialties
  • New medical school building

Cons
  • Case based learning - not really sure I want to do this. I don’t think it fits my learning style. Sounds like lots of mandatory in-person learning.
  • Location - Cleveland doesn’t seem like the most exciting place but it is by one of the great lakes
  • Not so sure about strength of psychiatry research and mentorship at Case
  • Haven’t gotten financial aid package yet

Boston U

Pros
  • Ability to serve the underserved and unhoused population of Boston. Lots of emphasis on social justice which I love.
  • Biggest city out of all the options and would be really fun to explore Boston!
  • Lots of biotech companies in the area, and lots of opportunities for my partner to work in the city
  • Has a derm and psych residency program but not sure about the strength of these programs
Cons
  • Cost of living is highest out of all options
  • I have a dog and will likely not have a backyard for them
  • Some of the pre-clerkship courses are required/small group learning
  • No support system in area, although a former coworker is a BU student
  • Not as highly ranked as Pitt
  • I didn’t get super great vibes from the students on interview day. They were nice, but when I asked about research, they said it was kinda hard to get involved?

OU

Pros
  • My family lives 1.5 hours away from OU. My dad has Alzheimer’s disease and there is a lot of pressure from family to move back home.
  • Received a $30k scholarship and will receive in-state tuition
  • Have a lot of friends in the area, so strong support network
  • Low cost of living, could buy a home
  • I grew up in Oklahoma and I do feel like the residents in OK deserve better medical care, so it would be nice to give back to the community
  • Near my partner’s family in Texas
Cons
  • My family being close is a con as it may distract me from my studies (some of my family members do not support me going to medical school)
  • No one on the 2023 match list went into derm
  • Don’t really want to move back to Oklahoma due to politics and lack of opportunities
  • Politics also leads to less resources for mental health care and abortion is banned (I am a woman so this is important to me, plus I have an interest in providing gender affirming care - which Oklahoma is definitely not the best place for)
  • OU is ranked significantly lower than the rest of the schools I was accepted to, kinda seems like a downgrade?

Summary: I’m torn. I feel like Pitt might be the best due to their NIH funding and strong research and clinical programs, but I don’t know if other schools would prepare me better for matching into competitive specialties.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all I want to say congratulations there are truly no bad options here!!!

To me it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you like Pitt the most but I'm not actually sure that's true. A lot of your cons are "not as highly ranked as Pitt" which is fair but isn't perhaps the most important aspect when picking a school. If you want the prestige I say go Pitt all the way it's an incredible school (and I'll admit I am waitlisted there so I might have a slight bias).

BU seems to be the least favorable option because of COL and having a dog and lack of support and research opportunities. Meanwhile, you have really compelling reasons to choose OU over Pitt or Case or Brown.

I think at the end of the day aside from prestige you just need to think about where you think you could be the happiest. If going to a T20 school in a dreary city will make you happy then thats the best choice. If you think being in RI and enjoying spending time in New England will make you happy then that is the right choice. You can definitely pursue derm or psych research at any of these institutions and I am certain that all these schools match well into both of those fields. Perhaps we just need to wait to see how fin aid plays out since I'm sure a front runner will emerge at that time. Either way you can literally not go wrong with any of these school!! Maybe its time to take a few days off and really reflect on what you need to succeed in med school.

Hi! I have similar interests and choices as you, and I would argue between Pitt, Case and OU. I agree that Boston is probably not a contender here. They have a very strong psych program but due to the COL and less emphasis on research in comparison to your other options (BU only recently started structuring research into the curriculum) I would count BU out.

Definitely reflect and discuss with your family if it’s important for you to be near them and how you will prioritize finances, and if it’s important for you to be an additional caretaker for your father.

Also check out the match lists in the recent years. Brown has a phenomenal match history in psychiatry but Case and Pitt have outstanding match track records in both psych and derm.

Reactions: 1 user