Pitt vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both schools. Now comes the hardest decision of my life.. What are your guys' thoughts on the schools? I'm from the west coast so each school is OOS for me.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Tufts:
+ Boston is amazing
+ Strong clinic
+ Amazing facilities
+ I'm a huge Patriot fan
+ Know a dentist that loved it there
+ Buddy of mine has an interview there soon. If he gets in I can room with someone I know.
- COST
- Large class size
- Long commute to class?

Pitt:
+ I also found Pitt to be a nice city
+ Much cheaper, already paid deposit too
+ Smaller class size
+ Right next to basketball stadium, and undergrad campus
+ My dentist recommended Pitt over Tufts
- Students didn't seem as happy. Not as confident in abilities
- Heard negative things about the patient pool

Might be missing some stuff, but that's the gist of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to both schools. Now comes the hardest decision of my life.. What are your guys' thoughts on the schools? I'm from the west coast so each school is OOS for me.

Tufts:
+ Boston is amazing
+ Strong clinic
+ Amazing facilities
+ I'm a huge Patriot fan
+ Buddy of mine has an interview there soon. If he gets in I can room with someone I know.
- COST
- Large class size
- Long commute to class?

Pitt:
+ Smaller class size

I realize that I am biased, as you can see my signature below. You will get bias with almost all responses you get on SDN, so make sure you take them with a grain of salt.

I would say that you should go with the cheaper option, and I'm sure many people in SDN will come and agree with this. I want to be honest, though, and say that I passed up on cheaper schools and accepted the offer from Tufts. Everyone has different financial situations, but I hope people are reasonable and don't say that the cost is only thing that matters when picking a school. It is a large factor, but should not be the only factor, in my opinion, when deciding. I understand that nobody wants to step on toes, but I do believe, based on what I saw and heard from students during my interviews, that some schools better prepare you for your future career as a dental practitioner than others. I had 9 interviews. I’m not naming them because I’m not trying to throw mud, as I understand how people would take it personally, even though I realize I did a little bit of that in a few earlier posts about USC. I do feel like I got a good sample of schools for comparison during the process, though.

In my opinion Tufts was superior to the others in every way except for cost, and I personally felt the extra money was worth it to attend. I loved everything about the school, and believe Tufts will best prepare me for a career as a dental practitioner.

There are school comparisons where I would say it's a no brainer for one or the other, but Pitt is also an excellent school. Obviously, I hope and think you should pick Tufts, but you can’t go wrong with either. Best of luck.:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user

Tufts:
+ Boston is amazing
+ Strong clinic
+ Amazing facilities
+ I'm a huge Patriot fan
- COST
- Large class size
- Long commute to class?

Pitt:
+ Smaller class size

Tufts for sure.
Better school, better city, happier students and Pittsburgh sucks.

I realize that I am biased, as you can see my signature below. You will get bias with almost all responses you get on SDN, so make sure you take them with a grain of salt.

I would say that you should go with the cheaper option, and I'm sure many people in SDN will come and agree with this. I want to be honest, though, and say that I passed up on cheaper schools and accepted the offer from Tufts. Everyone has different financial situations, but I hope people are reasonable and don't say that the cost is only thing that matters when picking a school. It is a large factor, but should not be the only factor, in my opinion, when deciding. I understand that nobody wants to step on toes, but I do believe, based on what I saw and heard from students during my interviews, that some schools better prepare you for your future career as a dental practitioner than others. I had 9 interviews. I’m not naming them because I’m not trying to throw mud, as I understand how people would take it personally, even though I realize I did a little bit of that in a few earlier posts about USC. I do feel like I got a good sample of schools for comparison during the process, though.

In my opinion Tufts was superior to the others in every way except for cost, and I personally felt the extra money was worth it to attend. I loved everything about the school, and believe Tufts will best prepare me for a career as a dental practitioner.

There are school comparisons where I would say it's a no brainer for one or the other, but Pitt is also an excellent school. Obviously, I hope and think you should pick Tufts, but you can’t go wrong with either. Best of luck.:thumbup:

Very well said man. I may end up following your path of passing on the cheaper options for a more expensive school because I feel it better fits what I'm looking for

Go with your dentist opinion. Pitt is way cheaper plus save yourself some money.

PHP:
Go with your dentist opinion. Pitt is way cheaper plus save yourself some money.

:thumbup: Go to Pitt there's no need to overpay for the same level of education. Pitt is an awesome school, I wouldn't overspend to go to Tufts, you wont gain anything.

PHP:

:thumbup: Go to Pitt there's no need to overpay for the same level of education. Pitt is an awesome school, I wouldn't overspend to go to Tufts, you wont gain anything.

It's unfortunate that wired202808 has never been to either school, or he might actually be able to make the claim of what level of education each provides.:rolleyes: :laugh:

Here is the pro/cons list that I give everyone thinking about Pitt (worked/researched/volunteered there for years in the dental school)

Pros:
1) Early clinical rotations first year - tissue charting, placing dental dam, getting introduced to specialties, assisting, etc. Probably not as much of this at Tufts, or about the same.
2) Academically strong, research available to you. Same for Tufts. Tufts students present lots of papers. (see admissions book)
3) Staff and students very cohesive and proud of their school. If you like college sports we have them and they are cheap to attend, and FUN! Tufts Dental students seem to ADORE their school. However, they are not near their undergrad campus.
4) Located on an undergrad campus, have a chance to meet pre-dental students and spread the word about dentistry and help people follow in your footsteps. Also have the libraries and restaurants there to use, younger girls to date, etc. Not near their undergrad campus. More of a downtown setting.
5) Beautiful sim labs and specialty clinics. Tufts has the same, if not nicer. Much better view.
6) Comp care clinics are nice as well, not brand new, but digital charting and digital radiography. From my observation, everyone loved the clinical instructors watching you. They were even nice to me as a researcher. Also, the people in the equipment dispensary are very pleasant. I can't say a bad word about the clinics. Got the same feeling from Tufts. Even the older clinics looked pretty nice. The attendings seemed so friendly and helpful!
7) City is low crime, low noise, and pretty much low key. Rent is dirt cheap. You can get a beer for $2 and pizza for $5, no Manhattan prices here. Parking is $20 a year on the street with an apartment lease, can't beat that. Boston is crazy expensive. You are looking at $800-1000 for rent ! I paid $400 for a huge house all utilities included. My friends pay $200-300 a person sometimes for nice places. Also, the PGH commute is not bad.
8) White coat ceremony is first year. Some schools do it later like before you enter clinic. Here, treated as a professional from day one. Not sure about Tufts.
9) Human cadaver lab - Not many schools have this, they use prosected cadavers or use embalmed cadavers (a la Bodies Exhibit). You actually get to dissect the facial anatomy yourself, pretty cool in my opinion. Not sure about Tufts. I think they mentioned a cadaver lab.
10) Every clinic has a secretary to do the scheduling and financial counselors that you drop the patient off at after the appointment. You won't be doing too much of that yourself.
11) The class size is 80 and mostly everyone is very helpful and cohesive as a class. There is a dental frat and lots of organizations to join, lots of alumni involvement. Tufts has a class twice the size and probably much more diverse! (private school)

Cons:
1) Weather can be pretty harsh, lots of rain and snow. Cloud cover galore. I have also heard Boston is cold and windy. Probably not much of a difference.
2) Block schedule - first year exams every week, sometimes twice a week (according to the D1s). I saw a statistic on here that Pitt has the 15th most class time of the 60+ dental schools. The curriculum is unforgiving. The Tufts students said exams weren't grouped together too bad. They said there was only one week where they had them all the same week.
3) Some things like waxing and teeth carving still going on. I know some schools have cut this out for you and have the lab do it - maybe a consideration? Expect lab work at any school!
4) Patient disappointment rate - In private practice this should be like 20% max, Dr. Etzel would only tell me it's 30% + at Pitt. Whoever said "I am concerned about getting patients to stay" may have been telling the truth. Not sure on this one, the clinics did seem to have a little down time, but mostly were always crowded. Tufts is a much larger metropolis and those clinics were full. I got the feeling Tufts had more patients and a more robust clinical experience in general. Also, the ADA exit survey showed that Tufts dental students were more confident in their skills on the average than other dental schools in the US.
5) Lack of rotations, externships, international opportunities - I could be wrong here, but I didn't really perceive an emphasis on getting the dental students outside of the friendly confines of the dental school. Not sure, ask a D3/D4. Tufts has plenty of opportunities - one month externship, community outreach clubs, etc. Read their dental magazine they give you, it shows you some cool places you can go like to work in prisons, etc.

Here is the pro/cons list that I give everyone thinking about Pitt (worked/researched/volunteered there for years in the dental school)

Pros:
1) Early clinical rotations first year - tissue charting, placing dental dam, getting introduced to specialties, assisting, etc. Probably not as much of this at Tufts, or about the same.
2) Academically strong, research available to you. Same for Tufts. Tufts students present lots of papers. (see admissions book)
3) Staff and students very cohesive and proud of their school. If you like college sports we have them and they are cheap to attend, and FUN! Tufts Dental students seem to ADORE their school. However, they are not near their undergrad campus.
4) Located on an undergrad campus, have a chance to meet pre-dental students and spread the word about dentistry and help people follow in your footsteps. Also have the libraries and restaurants there to use, younger girls to date, etc. Not near their undergrad campus. More of a downtown setting.
5) Beautiful sim labs and specialty clinics. Tufts has the same, if not nicer. Much better view.
6) Comp care clinics are nice as well, not brand new, but digital charting and digital radiography. From my observation, everyone loved the clinical instructors watching you. They were even nice to me as a researcher. Also, the people in the equipment dispensary are very pleasant. I can't say a bad word about the clinics. Got the same feeling from Tufts. Even the older clinics looked pretty nice. The attendings seemed so friendly and helpful!
7) City is low crime, low noise, and pretty much low key. Rent is dirt cheap. You can get a beer for $2 and pizza for $5, no Manhattan prices here. Parking is $20 a year on the street with an apartment lease, can't beat that. Boston is crazy expensive. You are looking at $800-1000 for rent ! I paid $400 for a huge house all utilities included. My friends pay $200-300 a person sometimes for nice places. Also, the PGH commute is not bad.
8) White coat ceremony is first year. Some schools do it later like before you enter clinic. Here, treated as a professional from day one. Not sure about Tufts.
9) Human cadaver lab - Not many schools have this, they use prosected cadavers or use embalmed cadavers (a la Bodies Exhibit). You actually get to dissect the facial anatomy yourself, pretty cool in my opinion. Not sure about Tufts. I think they mentioned a cadaver lab.
10) Every clinic has a secretary to do the scheduling and financial counselors that you drop the patient off at after the appointment. You won't be doing too much of that yourself.
11) The class size is 80 and mostly everyone is very helpful and cohesive as a class. There is a dental frat and lots of organizations to join, lots of alumni involvement. Tufts has a class twice the size and probably much more diverse! (private school)

Cons:
1) Weather can be pretty harsh, lots of rain and snow. Cloud cover galore. I have also heard Boston is cold and windy. Probably not much of a difference.
2) Block schedule - first year exams every week, sometimes twice a week (according to the D1s). I saw a statistic on here that Pitt has the 15th most class time of the 60+ dental schools. The curriculum is unforgiving. The Tufts students said exams weren't grouped together too bad. They said there was only one week where they had them all the same week.
3) Some things like waxing and teeth carving still going on. I know some schools have cut this out for you and have the lab do it - maybe a consideration? Expect lab work at any school!
4) Patient disappointment rate - In private practice this should be like 20% max, Dr. Etzel would only tell me it's 30% + at Pitt. Whoever said "I am concerned about getting patients to stay" may have been telling the truth. Not sure on this one, the clinics did seem to have a little down time, but mostly were always crowded. Tufts is a much larger metropolis and those clinics were full. I got the feeling Tufts had more patients and a more robust clinical experience in general. Also, the ADA exit survey showed that Tufts dental students were more confident in their skills on the average than other dental schools in the US.
5) Lack of rotations, externships, international opportunities - I could be wrong here, but I didn't really perceive an emphasis on getting the dental students outside of the friendly confines of the dental school. Not sure, ask a D3/D4. Tufts has plenty of opportunities - one month externship, community outreach clubs, etc. Read their dental magazine they give you, it shows you some cool places you can go like to work in prisons, etc.

Impressive pro/con comparison.:thumbup:

I would go to Pitt just because its cheaper, although based on what my friend has said the negatives about the patient pool seem to be true.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unfortunate that wired202808 has never been to either school, or he might actually be able to make the claim of what level of education each provides.:rolleyes: :laugh:

go to tufts you fool and spend that 400K :)

I would go to Pitt just because its cheaper, although based on what my friend has said the negatives about the patient pool seem to be true.

Go to Pitt.

Pitt is a lot cheaper than Tufts to the point where it's almost 1/2 the cost.

But Dantemac said:

Which is pretty true. I had issues getting patients for boards and it was a nerve wrecking time. Got my board patient less than 2 weeks before the actual clinical board. I chewed up my cheeks big time during that time. I doubt that kind of nervousness is very much warranted due to the repercussions of failing boards by default of a no show. And every year, some unlucky student has a pt that does a no show day of boards. Ugh

Pitt is a lot cheaper than Tufts to the point where it's almost 1/2 the cost.

But Dantemac said:
- Students didn't seem as happy.
Not as confident in abilities

Which is pretty true. I had issues getting patients for boards and it was a nerve wrecking time. Got my board patient less than 2 weeks before the actual clinical board. I chewed up my cheeks big time during that time. I doubt that kind of nervousness is very much warranted due to the repercussions of failing boards by default of a no show. And every year, some unlucky student has a pt that does a no show day of boards. Ugh

I don't think dantemac said that Pitt students are unhappy (bolded statement)? Either way, I don't think it's true that Pitt students aren't happy. I don't think it's fair to gauge how "happy" students are from your 1 experience there during the interview. I've met and talked with tons of Pitt dental students, and yes they're stressed (as are most students at most other schools), but all of them said they're extremely happy with their choice. Last week a club I'm in went to the dental school for a drill and fill lab, and all the dental students that were there (1st and 2nd years) were extremely laid back, nice and happy. They were even telling us how they find time to go out and have fun despite all the classes that are crammed into 1st year.

Pitt just has so many red tapes for you to get through. Common complaint since last summer is increased prostho requirements despite decreased clinic hours. Bend over backwards and then jump through hoops of fiyah.

I never said Pitt students were unhappy. All of my friends love it. It's a lot of work, though. It is in the top 20 hours spent in the classroom for all dental schools and there is no time off. You don't get a spring break week off or summers off really. But let's get one thing clear, most people love their time there. And in my opinion, the city is just as great as Boston. Smaller feel, and much cheaper...that's about it.

Of my 3 interviews this cycle, two were Tufts and Pitt. After careful consideration, I decided to attend Pitt. I guess I'll elaborate more on my experience and a little more on Dantemac.

Pitt vs Tufts

Before interviewing at Pitt, I thought that the class size of 80 would harbor a very close-knit environment among students in the same class. Well, I was right, and then some. It seemed like the students (whether they were in the same or different graduating year) were pretty close. As the students gave us a tour at Pitt, it seemed everybody knew everybody, as jokes were being passed back and forth between student tour guides and other dental students roaming the halls. At Tufts, students definitely knew of one another at the very least. But, some of the dental students eating lunch with us, told us that as time goes by, you start developing your own clique.

Pitt had an excellent academic reputation. They offered research, but it seemed not too many students took up the opportunity. Tufts reputation in Boston was pretty up there because they were known for quality in their work. Tufts students are pretty big on research, but I wouldn't say to the extent that Tufts and other students make it out to be (Tufts is twice as large as most dental schools, so on the average, it only makes sense that they should have twice as many papers at least).

Environment. I totally get why people love Boston! Super college town with a bunch of big name universities! Bomb food too! I preferred Pitt because the dental/pharm/nursing/med school were all with in the Univ. of Pitt. Med. Center (UPMC) block. Right across the street from UPMC was the undergrad campus, and right across from Pitt undergrad was Carnegie Mellon undergrad campus! I gotta say, to me, Pitt was my ideal college town. A big plus, the undergrad girls at Pitt were pretty and classy (one even held the door for me). (Take that with a grain of salt because I come from California where all the girls act like they're a ten out of ten)

Gongrats on choosing!! Great school!

Don't even bother thinking, its no brainer. When it comes to Pitt or Tufts just go to cheapter school, its not like ur choosing between harvard and pitt. In conclusion, wise decision.

Guys why are you knocking around other schools. Be happy he made a choice.