Place to buy sutures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here or wherever, but is there some place I can buy sutures (relatively cheap) to practice suturing? I have a pair of needledrivers and forceps, but I'd like to have a few simple nylon/whatever sutures to use to practice on various things.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this belongs here or wherever, but is there some place I can buy sutures (relatively cheap) to practice suturing? I have a pair of needledrivers and forceps, but I'd like to have a few simple nylon/whatever sutures to use to practice on various things.

You could probably try asking at the hospital associated with your school if they have any expired sutures you could have.

Otherwise, this place (http://www.esutures.com/) sells expired sutures for practice relatively cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds like something from Silence of the Lambs.

You could probably try asking at the hospital associated with your school if they have any expired sutures you could have.

Otherwise, this place (http://www.esutures.com/) sells expired sutures for practice relatively cheap.

This is one of the reasons to try and get along with the scrub nurses and circulators. 3-4 times during my rotation I got a big bag of expired sutures, and one of the scrubs would usually open a few extra packs during the case and then save the extras.

Reactions: 1 user
lalala

Last edited:
Just ask an upper level to get you some. There are plenty of expired sutures or ties that were opened but never used at any hospital.

The OR techs will always let you take a packet or two for practice if you are in med school during OR rotations (surgery, OBGYN). You can also buy large lots of them off ebay (which I presume are probably OR personnel swiping them from hospitals and selling them).

The OR techs will always let you take a packet or two for practice if you are in med school during OR rotations (surgery, OBGYN). You can also buy large lots of them off ebay (which I presume are probably OR personnel swiping them from hospitals and selling them).

Ha, yeah I actually just bought a thing of 20 miscellaneous sutures from ebay for $16. Not bad, but next time I'll try to swing the free suture deal from the OR people.

Congrats on graduating, by the way. Have you made it known what specialty you're going into on these boards?

You sure you wouldn't be labeled "el estudiante motivado"?

Any time you scrub a case ask the scrub nurse for the extra suture at the end. There's always a few tapered vicryls, needled nylons, etc left over unopened (but no longer sterile)

I've collected quite the collection of polysorb, fast gut, silk, and nylon suture in this fashion.

Does this have something to do with those kids in your basement?

Not after what happened last time.