Plea in abeyance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigueraso23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was charged with a class A misdemeanor but I did a plea in abeyance and got the charge dropped so it doesn't show on my record. Is there any way that the medical schools I apply to can see this charge? Or is it completely erased? Will this affect my chances of being admitted?

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on a lot of factors- what state you're in, the prosecutor and the judge, the specifics of the deal, etc. A lot of plea in abeyances require you to enter a guilty plea initially before your probationary period ends/ charges drop, so this would keep your admission of guilty on record until the charges are dropped. Even then, keep in mind that charges being dropped isn't necessarily the same thing as records being expunged or sealed. There very well may still be records of the court case (and/or arrest) that background checks can easily find. Your best bet is to consult with your attorney on the conditions of your plea.