Please advise!! 36 (14/9/13) and 3.99 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my MCAT scores back today and, while I'm really happy with my composite of 36, I am very very worried about the 9 in verbal. The score is obviously really unbalanced (14/9/13) and I'm wondering what my chances are for upper-tier med schools. I don't feel like it would be smart to retake this score without applying and seeing what happens, but pleaaaase let me know what you all think!

I'm applying next year, and I'm definitely going to apply to a broad range of schools. I just want to know if I have a decent shot at Top 20s!

Also:
GPA - 3.99
(I go to a prestigious liberal arts college in New England)

Is this 9 in verbal going to keep me out of schools? (Would the fact that I go to a liberal arts college somehow make up for the low verbal score?) I know I didn't list my ECs, but just looking at my MCAT score and GPA what do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If ECs are solid then you are golden!
Aim high!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar spread and composite to you and I did fine. A 9 might make you feel sad, but it won't keep you out at most places, especially with a 36 composite. Don't retake. If you have strong ECs and strong writing skills, you'll be fine, as long as you apply early and intelligently.

Also how would going to a liberal arts school make up for a 9? If anything, it makes the 9 look worse (marginally).

The 9 isn't extremely low, if it were lower than an 8 then I would be very worried but it is not. A 9 is a pretty decent score IMO, especially since many think of it as the hardest section. Don't think of the 9 in verbal and think of your 36 composite when judging where to apply, but you seem to be in really good shape.