Please critique my article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oleh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a PhD student from Ukraine (and thus not an English native speaker) and I've got a great wish to publish the results of my work in English. That's why I'm asking you to critique my usage of the language in the article, which is added to this post (it has been already published in one of the Ukrainian journals). I'd be very thankful for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• on the problem of neurosis.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 58
Hello everyone,
I'm a PhD student from Ukraine (and thus not an English native speaker) and I've got a great wish to publish the results of my work in English. That's why I'm asking you to critique my usage of the language in the article, which is added to this post (it has been already published in one of the Ukrainian journals). I'd be very thankful for any suggestions.

I think it's great that you're recognizing you need assistance with the wording of your paper, but asking others to read and critique your paper in detail is a very large favor that most folks on the internet are unlikely to do. You may want to submit your paper to a journal that has language/editing assistance for international submissions (as your situation isn't as uncommon as you think). You may also consider networking with English-speaking researchers in your topic area, who will know more about content and not just about language formatting, and who may be more open to working with you in exchange for authorship credit.

Hello everyone,

It doesn't sound like you are asking someone to critique the paper, but rather, to examine/correct the English usage. I agree with testifeye, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a Writing Center at your University that could help you with this?

Reactions: 1 user
testifeye, psyman
Thank you for your replies. I don't ask for a 'deep analysis'. My main interest is to find out how 'clumsy' my English looks, especially in an academic writing context. Perhaps, I'll think of looking for some special places to ask such things in future=)
PhDToBe
Nope, there isn't. Especially if you are talking about writing in English.

"...which is added to this post (it has been already published in one of the Ukrainian journals)."

It's my understanding you need to be careful about this- many journals require that your results cannot already be published in another journal. That includes in a different country. Just a few days ago, a former journal editor told me a story where individuals from China submitted a paper, and along the way the journal found out it had already been published in a Chinese journal. They pulled the manuscript and flagged the authors for all future submissions. You may want to consult with the journals you'd be interested in here, to make sure this is okay, before you put in all this work to translate and rewrite it.

And many journals offer editing services, especially for non-native English speakers. Figure out your target journals, talk to them about whether you can submit and their services for non-native English speakers, and go from there.

Reactions: 1 users