Please help! 30 MCAT (7 VR), 3.64 gpa, ORM CA Resident, Unique-ish ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear2roo

Dr. Kenzō Tenma
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit long, SORRY!
I just got my MCAT scores back and I'm really disappointed. I'm a retaker and I was doing well on VR (~9.5 on prac) but my scores are: 12/7/11 for 30. First time was 27 (9/7/11).

10/15/13 UPDATE: got 09/11 MCAT scores, 32 (11/9/12) which is balanced and my third try. Wondering what are my chances for next cycle or even (hail mary) this cycle? Submitted almost all secondaries

3.64 cgpa, 3.65sgpa, 30 MCAT, ORM, CA Resident (it doesn't get worst than that does it?)
Subtle Upward trend in GPA....3.94 gpa senior year. Started at 3.41 gpa freshman year.

ECs: Above-avg sorta (maybe not SDN standards)

-120 hours Clinical Experience as hospital volunteer & part-time caretaker for elderly (family member who passed away)
-450+ hours Nonmedical Community Service
-50 hours tutor at elementary school in poor neighborhood
-*1500+ hours Bench Research, 2.5 years, 1 abstract, numerous undergrad grants & awards
-200 hours Clinical Research (1 semester + summer) 3 posters
-*Private tutor, 2 years, ~150 hours (paid)
-Informal TA for Physiology (it's a mix between TA & tutor. I don't grade)
-Leadership at nonprofit organization & volunteered for 200 hours
-*Competitive national-ranked athlete (non-NCAA at my school) for a sport (not saying which) since 2004; continued throughout college, and won a few national medals & 2 championships (god knows how many hours...I put 999 x 4).
-Executive Board Leadership position of Intercollegiate Sports Club for 2 years
-Currently interning at a Real Estate company (paid)
-clinical research since september, 25 hours/week--should have publication by May 2014.

* = most meaningful

LORS: Biology Prof (good), Physics (Really good), Social Sciences ("stellar/outstanding"), Research PI (good/above avg), and Nonprofit founder (Very good)

Personal Statement: Not amazing, but was very genuine and did the job I think. Above average at most.

AMCAS submitted 07/04/13

OK I was REALLY hoping to get 32ish on my MCAT (avg prac) but my verbal never budged. Despite tutoring, countless practice, reading A LOT, being a good writer (commended by my PI, social sciences teacher, and writing prof), and whatnot, never went above a 7. :mad:

SO MY QUESTION is what school list should I be looking at? Many schools screen for a 7 in Verbal and I'm so lost. I don't know which schools DO NOT screen a 7 in Verbal. I'm mainly looking at MD schools for now.

My preliminary List:

RFU
Loyola
Georgetown
GWU (love the school, I know it has low acceptance rate)
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
USC (I love this school I know have like 0% chance)
All UCs (b/c I can as a CA res)
NYMC
St. Louis Uni
MSU (maybe not a good idea b/c OOS)
BU (major reach)
Iowa
Cinci
Hofstra
SUNY (dunno which ones)
Albany Medical College
MCW (maybe not with that 7...)
VCU (I feel like my clinical exp is not good enough)
UMiami (do I stand a chance? That secondary is a monster)

Might have left out a few.

I had a few more reaches but might as well throw them out :'( That 30 isnt going to help.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anyone please?

I'm debating whether to retake MCAT 3rd time :scared: or to go ahead with this cycle.

Sorry for double posting like this...I would GREATLY appreciate people's input. I'm torn between submitting my pre-written secondaries or to study for my 3rd retake in Sept 11. Which would inevitably mean I take another gap year....

I think your extracurriculars are great, but that verbal is low. I got a 36 overall and 7 on verbal as well, and so far I have gotten secondaries from UCI, UCD, UCSF, UCSD. I have a good amount of tutoring, clinical volunteering, research and other extracurricular activities. Your extracurricular activities are much better than mine though so that could boost you up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing?

Your best chance would be to apply early and very broadly (submit ASAP). Short of emailing every school about their screening process for the MCAT, its very unlikely that you'll get interviews at places w/ an MCAT average above 32. Think about adding Toledo, Vermont, Creighton, Tulane and EVMS.

I'm pretty sure both BU and GT don't interview applicants with a VR below 8 (unless URM or have connections).

Oh yes forgot, 80 hours shadowing! Lol wrote that in a rush.

I thought Tulane required minimum 31?

I would just apply this cycle. I just got an interview invite from Case Western! I also made it to the secondary at Mayo and Wake Forest. I have a 7VR and a 30 total MCAT with a 3.8gpa. I am not an URM. I think if you write about your experiences with medicine and what it means to you, many schools can get past the MCAT. I was also told that Michigan and OSU will not screen you out unless you have LESS than a 7 in any one section.

If I had your gpa, I too would just apply....but obv 3.64 gpa << 3.80 gpa. Congrats on CW interview though!!!!

If I retook the MCAT in Sept 11, what kind of target score am I looking at for it to be an "improvement"? I am trying to see if it's possible to up the verbal to a 9 by then. My sciences are surprisingly still fresh somewhat in my mind. If I wait till Jan, I will def get lazy at some point, forget the materials, and while doing my research + volunteer + sport practice work, will not make a consistent sched to fit in enough studying.

Does anyone think I am crazy to go for a 3rd attempt on the MCAT?

I suggest low-mid tiers. The 2x MCAT with an imbalanced score will hurt. U Cinci is a state school and qwuite competitive. Avoid public OOS schools because they favor the home team and you need to be > avg for them.

ALL of them will screen out a 7VR...none in my MSAR shows >10% of the Class having that. I'm afraid that youmight get interviews like the poster above, but will be wait listed permanently

Either re-take and improve on that VR, or try DO programs...you're fine for those, including mine

SO MY QUESTION is what school list should I be looking at? Many schools screen for a 7 in Verbal and I'm so lost. I don't know which schools DO NOT screen a 7 in Verbal. I'm mainly looking at MD schools for now.

My preliminary List:

RFU
Loyola
Georgetown
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
NYMC
St. Louis Uni
BU (major reach)
Iowa
Cinci
Hofstra
SUNY (dunno which ones)
Albany Medical College

I had a few more reaches but might as well throw them out :'( That 30 isnt going to help.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Thank you Goro, your advice is always appreciated. I'm like 70% leaning for 3rd seating of MCAT...and I know I have to get that verbal up somehow. What score do you think I should look at for mid-low tier MD?

Most of my peers & family want me to apply this cycle anyways, since that was my 2nd time....but I know I can do better on the MCAT VR...at least to an 8 or 9. I know 3rd time taking MCAT looks bad unless I improve a lot.....and let's not even get started on how it looks to my family and friends who have seen me workin hard on the MCAT since last summer (granted I took fall off).

bump!

what MD schools will accept a verbal of 7 or at least will not screen me out for secondaries for 7 VR? I've been using teh search fxn but I haven't gotten enough info =/

bump!

what MD schools will accept a verbal of 7 or at least will not screen me out for secondaries for 7 VR? I've been using teh search fxn but I haven't gotten enough info =/

I'm in a similar boat as you. For what it's worth, I have emailed various schools asking about a verbal score of 7. So far, most say that they conduct "holistic" reviews, looking at how strong the rest of the application is. However, I did get an impression from a couple schools that they may screen out based on a low verbal. Noteworthy schools include:

Jefferson - Sent a document saying they would like to see 9's in each section.
Wayne State - Recommended retaking MCAT if any section is below an 8.
Creighton - Said historically, any verbal score below an 8 is a disadvantage.
Georgetown - Guideline says a 7 verbal is non-competitive.

Again, these aren't necessarily disqualifying screens but I hope they might help you with your choices.

You really need 10/10/10 = 30 for the mid-tiers, and for low tiers, a 28-29 is the floor (with an 8 in VR, minimum)

Thank you Goro, your advice is always appreciated. I'm like 70% leaning for 3rd seating of MCAT...and I know I have to get that verbal up somehow. What score do you think I should look at for mid-low tier MD?

Most of my peers & family want me to apply this cycle anyways, since that was my 2nd time....but I know I can do better on the MCAT VR...at least to an 8 or 9. I know 3rd time taking MCAT looks bad unless I improve a lot.....and let's not even get started on how it looks to my family and friends who have seen me workin hard on the MCAT since last summer (granted I took fall off).

Thanks! Ah yeah I figured....so I decided to sched retake on Sept 11. 3rd MCAT :eek: been studying the last week. Still continuing my app this cycle but no real expectations even if I did make 9 VR and a 32+ (hoping sciences stay or +1 each).

Besides the MCAT scores, are there any glaring weaknesses in what I've posted so far? If I do (most likely) end up taking 2 gap years, I'm wondering what else I should improve on my application. Maybe more clinical exp?

Your ECs look spectacular. Maybe do something like Habitat for Humanity? Some work at a nursing home or hospice?

Thanks! Ah yeah I figured....so I decided to sched retake on Sept 11. 3rd MCAT :eek: been studying the last week. Still continuing my app this cycle but no real expectations even if I did make 9 VR and a 32+ (hoping sciences stay or +1 each).

Besides the MCAT scores, are there any glaring weaknesses in what I've posted so far? If I do (most likely) end up taking 2 gap years, I'm wondering what else I should improve on my application. Maybe more clinical exp?

A bit long, SORRY!
I just got my MCAT scores back and I'm really disappointed. I'm a retaker and I was doing well on VR (~9.5 on prac) but my scores are: 12/7/11 for 30. First time was 27 (9/7/11).

3.64 cgpa, 3.65sgpa, 30 MCAT, ORM, CA Resident (it doesn't get worst than that does it?)
Subtle Upward trend in GPA....3.94 gpa senior year. Started at 3.41 gpa freshman year.

ECs: Above-avg sorta (maybe not SDN standards)

-120 hours Clinical Experience as hospital volunteer & part-time caretaker for elderly
-450+ hours Nonmedical Community Service in poor neighborhood
-50 hours tutor at elementary school in poor neighborhood
-*1500+ hours Bench Research, 2.5 years, 1 abstract, numerous undergrad grants & awards
-200 hours Clinical Research (1 semester + summer) 3 posters
-*Private tutor, 2 years, ~150 hours (paid)
-Informal TA for Physiology (it's a mix between TA & tutor. I don't grade)
-Leadership at nonprofit organization & volunteered for 200 hours
-*Competitive national-ranked athlete (non-NCAA at my school) for a sport (not saying which) since 2004; continued throughout college, and won a few national medals & 2 championships (god knows how many hours...I put 999 x 4).
-Executive Board Leadership position of Intercollegiate Sports Club for 2 years
-Currently interning at a Real Estate company (paid)
-Will start clinical research in August during gap year.

* = most meaningful

LORS: Biology Prof (good), Physics (Really good), Social Sciences ("stellar/outstanding"), Research PI (good/above avg), and Nonprofit founder (Very good)

Personal Statement: Not amazing, but was very genuine and did the job I think. Above average at most.

AMCAS submitted 07/04/13

OK I was REALLY hoping to get 32ish on my MCAT (avg prac) but my verbal never budged. Despite tutoring, countless practice, reading A LOT, being a good writer (commended by my PI, social sciences teacher, and writing prof), and whatnot, never went above a 7. :mad:

My preliminary List:

RFU
Loyola
Georgetown
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
NYMC
St. Louis Uni
BU (major reach)
Iowa
Cinci
Hofstra
SUNY (dunno which ones)
Albany Medical College

Thank you!

I have read about young lady who also got 30 on MCAT. She was accepted at UPENN, the only school that accepted her.

I feel that in her case she did a very good interview. She was able to come across with sincerity. Obviously, she struck a cord.

There was a woman who got a maximum of 28 and finally got accepted into some school, not disclosed. She also said that the interview was what mattered.

It is important to make the cutoff and get the interview. Then be prepared. Think of it as doing interview for a job. In all cases be positive, but not fake.

Last edited:
Hi so I got my 9/11 scores back and I'm a bit disappointed but it's on my average tbh. I just made too many stupid mistakes.

I got a 32 11/9/12 which is balanced. Thank god I'm not going to be screened out on verbal!!! :D

So just to rehash: I got a 27 in summer '12, 30 in 06/20/13 and 32 09/11/13.

What do you think my chances are at schools next cycle IF I APPLY EARLY like:

Georgetown*
BU (reach but dream school)
Loyola*
RFU
Tufts*
Drexel
Jefferson*
UCI (reach)
Einstein (reach)
GWU*
Penn State*
Temple*
SLU
USC (reach)
EVMS
Rochester (reach)
Vermont
Hofstra
UC Davis
UMiami
MCW

* = really interested in schools

In the meantime I have had clinical research and will be published by spring. It's also sorta clinical experience as I interact with kids who have CP and neurological disorders and measure their movements

Last edited: