Please help: all i want is derm, need a way to make it happen!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, im sure its been asked a million times before but here's my situation:
Im a current 2nd year med student in a non-top tier MD program in the northeast. I did fine first year but only passed everything (we use pass/high pass/honors), this year doing better. I cant predict yet how i will do on the boards but since path/pharm/micro have gone ok so far im hoping i wont have major problems, and have always been a good standardized test-taker. Anyway, i've done years of psych research before and after college and dont see myself in that field, then did a summer fellowship after M1 in ob-gyn, got a great letter of rec from this experience, but im not sure this field is it for me. I am also not interested in anything general like internal med/peds. In a small group session we had with the derm faculty last fall i talked to some residents and really think this field is my calling. I'm an artistic person and think i have a good eye for the cosmetic part but am equally interested in rare skin diseases, etc. My parents are in the cosmetic/skincare industry and i grew up around this field. While it would be great to meld their business with my degree, this is not the reason i am drawn to derm.
Basically i welcome any opinions on how to make derm a possibility even though im not the typical incredibly qualified candidate. I am aware that a year off for research is likely necessary. I have contacted the head of derm at our school twice but no response yet, should i try making contacts at other local schools/hospitals? Should i be seriously pursuing research for the remainder of this year? Should i call local private practice derms to shadow? I know that connections are admittedly a huge part of this process, so im trying my best to make them.
Honesty is appreciated so if you think this will just be impossible its ok to say so!!
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Too early to decide on derm.

Too early to declare yourself "out of the running".

Pre-clinical grades are important but not THAT important. I'd focus on doing well in 2nd year for the sole purpose of doing well on Step 1. (I have found pre-clinical grades correlate strongly with Step 1 score)

Do well Step 1, do well in your clinical rotations, and you should be fine.

I'd also highly suggest dropping your cosmetic aspect (at least verbally). It's usually not looked upon favorably.

thank you, i COMPLETELY agree about not mentioning the clinical aspect but figured its ok to say on this board, just to get the whole story conveyed, will never mention this in interviews etc!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my advice:

Try to get all your ducks in a row for Derm. In my view, these are the priorities (in order):

1. Step 1. Start memorizing First Aid today. If you kill Step 1 that will open a lot of doors.
2. Do what it takes to go the extra mile to get good grades.
3. Yes, you should do some research and use it as a way to get to know Derm faculty. It will help you have something interesting to say at interviews, and it will help you decide if Derm is something you might want to do. If you really like research and academics, you can then tell programs that you want that for your career, which will help too.

Next year you will be able to estimate your probability of matching a little better based on your overall grades, probability of making AOA, Step 1 score, and publications using the NRMP publication Match Outcomes (online for free, just google it), and you will have to make a tough decision whether you are willing to take your chances in the match or whether you would rather try for something more secure like Medicine.

Good luck

Thanks Dermguy that was really helpful.
As for research, i've contacted the head of derm at my school twice, and while the second time was only a few days ago, if he doesnt respond, should i look elsewhere/other area hospitals?
I think im willing to take a year off after third year for derm research, is it best to do this at a specific hospital/lab in a city or exact place I'd like to do residency in or just in the most well respected/well connected institution possible? I'm not sure ill have the qualifications for the big names like NIH, doris duke, etc.

Thanks Dermguy that was really helpful.
As for research, i've contacted the head of derm at my school twice, and while the second time was only a few days ago, if he doesnt respond, should i look elsewhere/other area hospitals?
I think im willing to take a year off after third year for derm research, is it best to do this at a specific hospital/lab in a city or exact place I'd like to do residency in or just in the most well respected/well connected institution possible? I'm not sure ill have the qualifications for the big names like NIH, doris duke, etc.

theres gotta be more than 1 derm attending there who does research... you should contact a different attending at your home program then... in particular look for somebody who publishes a lot.

theres gotta be more than 1 derm attending there who does research... you should contact a different attending at your home program then... in particular look for somebody who publishes a lot.

Agreed. I made an appointment with the dept chair and he steered me to faculty members with current projects and who publishes often. This worked great for me and dropping the dept chair's name when I contacted potential mentors helped.

My caveat to searching for research: if you aren't doing well in classes, drop everything, and study study study.

All the research in the world can't compensate for poor grades and especially a poor Step 1 score.

I'd hammer those items first and then worry about research later. (You can always take a year off. That will afford you more flexibility in terms of where you want to do it: home, NIH, Doris Duke, prestigious away institution, etc)

discontinue-i think you're right. At this point i'd only get about 3 months of research time in before my serious boards studying and then rotations. I could try to continue research during rotations, but im guessing during the longer hours rotations it will be nearly impossible? I guess i should just count on that year off...The only reason i thought i should start now would be to build up some contacts sooner?

If you can juggle it now, it would be great to make some contacts. I truly admire those who can pull it off during the clinical years. That's extremely difficult to do. I would also recommend taking the full year off and not trying to balance all that.