PLEASE HELP ME!!! What are my chances/ what should I do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched hi and low on this forum for a situation similar to mine, but I haven't found one, so here goes. Ok, so I am in my last semester (or two) of my undergrad and I have no idea what to do. My current GPA is a 2.61. By the time I graduate the highest I can have is a 3.11 cGPA and a 2.90 sGPA and that is with retakes. My MD application would read them as a 2.73 cGPA and 2.47 sGPa. This is the absolute highest by the time I graduate. So I have completely ruled out MD as an option. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm pretty good at standardized testing. I am a scribe, I've been a sunday school teacher, a cheerleader coach, a writing tutor, a section leader in a gospel choir. I have shadowed a doctor and a PA. I had a son and then my father was murdered a few months later. I have worked two jobs pretty much all the time. Oh, and I just got diagnosed with a learning issue that I am now on medicine for. But, through all this I never stopped school, nor changed major because I know that I will be a doctor even if it takes me ten years to do it. Also I'm underrepresented in medicine (African- American female). I'm typing all this just so you understand the situation, not to tell a sob story. Anyway, what should I do next to achieve my goal? I am considering taking the MCAT this summer and then applying to some DO schools. What are my chances, or what would you do next in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really think your 2.9 in science is going to hinder you. Retake a couple classes, get both of those GPAs above 3, kill the MCAT, and I honestly think you'll be fine. Also make sure you educate yourself on each school you apply to. Some schools have automatic screen-outs for certain GPAs.

I am so sorry about your father. I personally think you have done a great job considering your circumstances.

Thank you, I don't hear that very much. I will definitely be working very hard at this. Any suggestions on what kinds of ECs I should/ could pick up?

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 2.9 max sGPA, plan on retaking several courses after you graduate. I wouldn't plan on applying this upcoming cycle as you'll need more time to bring up your gpa through retakes. The earliest you could apply with a reasonable shot would be in the '15/'16 cycle (that's assuming you retake several courses and ace essentially all of them). Then you can worry about the MCAT.

I hate to hear that about your father. Overcoming the hardships you've mentioned (and being URM) should help your chances, but not without increasing that gpa and getting a decent MCAT.

As for ECs, do you have any already? Go to your undergrad institution's student union and find whatever office they have in charge of volunteering opportunities and see what is available in your community. Find a free clinic or food pantry or something that. There are tons of ways to get involved in something EC.

Are you thinking about PA school, too?

Ok, that makes sense, so worry about my GPA first and then once I get that up I can focus on the MCAT. And I plan to apply next summer before the first of August so I can have a better chance of acceptance as well. I was considering PA school, but my GPA is presenting an issue because it seems like many of them have a hard cut off for GPA.

Ok, that makes sense, so worry about my GPA first and then once I get that up I can focus on the MCAT. And I plan to apply next summer before the first of August so I can have a better chance of acceptance as well. I was considering PA school, but my GPA is presenting an issue because it seems like many of them have a hard cut off for GPA.

And by next summer I mean 2015

As far as ECs go I could definitely use more. The cheerleader coach, Sunday school teacher and section leader were all volunteer type positions. But, it's been a almost two years now.

As far as ECs go I could definitely use more. The cheerleader coach, Sunday school teacher and section leader were all volunteer type positions. But, it's been a almost two years now.
I think your ECs are fine... The main issue will be your sGPA. As the previous posters said, you have to get both your c/sGPA at the 3.0+ mark. As a URM-AA, you should be ok with a 25+ MCAT once you get your GPAs at the 3.0+.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just so you know, my sGPA was 2.8 when I was accepted. But I had a 30mcat (including 11 on Bio). I also had a lot of really unique and intense EC's. I didn't have any post-bacc or GPA repair that I attempted, just applied during my senior year like most folks. I applied one cycle and attended one interview (my top choice school), and things worked out great for me.

Things have gotten more competitive, and the 4th group of applicants since I applied is gearing up now, but amazing things can happen. My suggestion to you is to buckle down on any remaining coursework, only A's from now on should be your mantra. Study harder than you ever have on the MCAT, treat it like it's your one shot at getting in because that's exactly what it is. If you can score at least 28 consistently on practice exams then consider taking it, otherwise keep studying. When you do study, study for comprehension, not memorization.

Once you're ready to apply, research your schools meticulously, know what the pluses and minus of each are, you want to be a smart interviewee. And last but not least; apply broadly.

Just so you know, my sGPA was 2.8 when I was accepted. But I had a 30mcat (including 11 on Bio). I also had a lot of really unique and intense EC's. I didn't have any post-bacc or GPA repair that I attempted, just applied during my senior year like most folks. I applied one cycle and attended one interview (my top choice school), and things worked out great for me.

Things have gotten more competitive, and the 4th group of applicants since I applied is gearing up now, but amazing things can happen. My suggestion to you is to buckle down on any remaining coursework, only A's from now on should be your mantra. Study harder than you ever have on the MCAT, treat it like it's your one shot at getting in because that's exactly what it is. If you can score at least 28 consistently on practice exams then consider taking it, otherwise keep studying. When you do study, study for comprehension, not memorization.

Once you're ready to apply, research your schools meticulously, know what the pluses and minus of each are, you want to be a smart interviewee. And last but not least; apply broadly.

What kind of ECs did you have?

What I have gathered from all of your wonderful suggestions is. Continue with my current EC (scribe, shadowing) Focus really hard and get an A in all remaining classes (26+ credits) then study for the MCAT. Take it and apply early, but only if I'm scoring well on the practice tests.

But, if I'm not scoring well on the practice then retake some classes and keep studying for the MCAT. Take it then apply next cycle with a higher GPA and good MCAT score.

While SLC may have gotten in with a 2.8 sGPA, don't count on being able to do the same. Try your best to get all A's in your courses from now on, especially sciences. If you have some D's or F's on your transcript, you may be able to bring that gpa up pretty quickly--if it's low because of a bunch of C's it will take longer.

Yes, continue with your ECs (shadowing really isn't an EC, though) and volunteer somewhere whenever you can. Join a premed club at your school and they should have plenty of volunteer opps for you.

Applying the summer of 2015 you might run into the MCAT format change, so beware of that for your study timeline. Look in the MCAT forum for study plans and follow one while retaking courses.

You have your work cut out for you, but it's doable.

I believe that I have 2 Ds that I am not currently working on and 6 Cs. I can retake everything in two semesters if I go full time post- bacc. But will that be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I can get an internship at my local hospital, but I need to look into that more. I know that I can definitely volunteer there as well.

If the D's and C's are in sciences, retaking and acing them all should greatly help your cause. Volunteering at your hospital is great, even better if you can do it long-term on a regular basis.

Get your GPA's above 3.0 via retakes. Get 24+ on the MCAT (preferably 25+). Your URM status will help you a ton. Keep pushing forward.

hang in there. sorry about your dad. use the grade replacement to your advantage and you can overcome the gpa hurdle. you can do it!

I have searched hi and low on this forum for a situation similar to mine, but I haven't found one, so here goes. Ok, so I am in my last semester (or two) of my undergrad and I have no idea what to do. My current GPA is a 2.61. By the time I graduate the highest I can have is a 3.11 cGPA and a 2.90 sGPA and that is with retakes. My MD application would read them as a 2.73 cGPA and 2.47 sGPa. This is the absolute highest by the time I graduate. So I have completely ruled out MD as an option. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm pretty good at standardized testing. I am a scribe, I've been a sunday school teacher, a cheerleader coach, a writing tutor, a section leader in a gospel choir. I have shadowed a doctor and a PA. I had a son and then my father was murdered a few months later. I have worked two jobs pretty much all the time. Oh, and I just got diagnosed with a learning issue that I am now on medicine for. But, through all this I never stopped school, nor changed major because I know that I will be a doctor even if it takes me ten years to do it. Also I'm underrepresented in medicine (African- American female). I'm typing all this just so you understand the situation, not to tell a sob story. Anyway, what should I do next to achieve my goal? I am considering taking the MCAT this summer and then applying to some DO schools. What are my chances, or what would you do next in my situation?

Your ECs are good. The scribe job will look good on your apps. Do well this semester, the retake all the Cs and Ds and then do relatively well on MCAT (25+). Then you'll have a good chance at DO schools.

There is an AA female at pcom ga that got in with a 2.2. Honestly, you don't need to hit the 3.0. That's the average across all AA applicants. If you're willing to go to a newer college, there is a chance with 2.8+ and a 23+.

I think your ECs are fine... The main issue will be your sGPA. As the previous posters said, you have to get both your c/sGPA at the 3.0+ mark. As a URM-AA, you should be ok with a 25+ MCAT once you get your GPAs at the 3.0+.

As long as you apply realistically, I know of a URM-AA with a 3.5/25 and made the mistake of applying only to top end DOs and low-mid tier MDs. Now he is reapplying more broadly in the DO spectrum.

As long as you apply realistically, I know of a URM-AA with a 3.5/25 and made the mistake of applying only to top end DOs and low-mid tier MDs. Now he is reapplying more broadly in the DO spectrum.
I was assuming that most people would do their homework before applying...

Retake all courses you have Cs or D's in. Do awesome on the MCAT. Keep up the ECs. You should do fine but it might take a gap year or 2.

There is an AA female at pcom ga that got in with a 2.2. Honestly, you don't need to hit the 3.0. That's the average across all AA applicants. If you're willing to go to a newer college, there is a chance with 2.8+ and a 23+.

Is she the one with the blog?

That's......concerning.

Perhaps, but I seem recall that she had some significant obstacles that she endured. Her circumstances weren't as cut and dry as her GPA/MCAT score.

Perhaps, but I seem recall that she had some significant obstacles that she endured. Her circumstances weren't as cut and dry as her GPA/MCAT score.
That is true. Circumstances matter. I think she also got a masters, but the average AA DO admitted students is only a 3.0

Who's got a blog? I'd like to check it out

Who's got a blog? I'd like to check it out

I don't know if it's the same person, but there is a DO student that made a post about her blog. She is AA and blogs about her experience as a minority medical student.

I think... I can't find it for the life of me.

Edit: found it. http://www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com/?m=1

I was mostly right. She's actually in our class, so starting with us this fall. Awesome.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's the same person, but there is a DO student that made a post about her blog. She is AA and blogs about her experience as a minority medical student.

I think... I can't find it for the life of me.

Edit: found it. http://www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com/?m=1

I was mostly right. She's actually in our class, so starting with us this fall. Awesome.

Yep, I'm the one with the blog :) But just so there's no confusion, I also hold a masters degree with a 3.7 gpa. Definitely don't think I could have gotten in with my undergrad gpa alone.

Reactions: 1 users