Please help me with my school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoop32

Reaction score
Hello all! I have recently learned a ton since joining SDN. I think I would really benefit if you guys could take a look at my stats and see if my school list looks alright and if I should add/remove any!

Stats: PA resident, ORM,

T10 Private Liberal Art School

Senior Biology major, Biochem Minor,

cGPA: 3.61, sGPA: 3.65, upward trend

MCAT: 513

Other state connections: MN

Volunteer clinical:

150 hrs. hospital volunteering in ED and Med/Surg

(COVID IS NOT HELPING THIS NUMBER ughh)

Volunteer nonclinical:

500 hrs. volunteering at a children's home in a developing country, longitudinal visits.

50+ hrs. raising money in US for said children's home

50 hrs. singing at a retirement center

Shadowing

~175 hrs. shadowing numerous specialties. 60 with an ortho and 25 with EM doc

Research:

1250 hrs. research, 3 summers and a winter break. 1 middle author publication, 3 first author posters, 2nd place in poster competition of n=~50, presented work at national conference

ECs: Student athlete, leader in pre-health org on campus, program director for local hospital where students volunteer, sing in church and at retirement center

LORs: Committee letter from school compiled of 2 upper level science, 1 non-science unique study abroad, and 2 research mentor PIs (MD and MD/PhD)

Gap year position: Working at a T5 hospital as a researcher in cancer/immunology lab through their Post-Bac program

School list:

University of Pittsburgh

Wake Forest University

Dartmouth University

University of Rochester

University of Michigan

Georgetown University

Emory University

Tufts University

University of Colorado

Pennsylvania State University

Drexel University

Virginia Tech Carillion

Thomas Jefferson University

University of Arizona - Tuscon

University of Arizona - Phoenix

Albany University

Albert Einstein

University of Vermont

Ohio State University

West Virginia University

University of Minnesota

George Washington University

Indiana University

TCU and UNTHSC

Tulane University

St. Louis University

Temple University

Geisinger Commonwealth

Western Michigan

Kaiser Permanente

University of Cincinnati

University of Central Florida

Hofstra University

University of Miami

Thank you guys so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have an overall solid application. Your list however can be refined. You have many schools that are state schools that you have no connection to, and for some of those you are also below average stats wise.

I would remove: WVU, Arizona, OSU, UCF, Indiana, Colorado.

I would look into replacing those with: NYMC, Quinnipiac, USF Morsani, Oakland, Wake Forest, MCW, Creighton, EVMS, Hackensack.

Reactions: 1 user
You have an overall solid application. Your list however can be refined. You have many schools that are state schools that you have no connection to, and for some of those you are also below average stats wise.

I would remove: WVU, Arizona, OSU, UCF, Indiana, Colorado.

I would look into replacing those with: NYMC, Quinnipiac, USF Morsani, Oakland, Wake Forest, MCW, Creighton, EVMS, Hackensack.
Thank you! What exactly counts as a connection? Family living there?

How about the state my post-bac is in, could I potentially push that as a connection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! What exactly counts as a connection? Family living there?

How about the state my post-bac is in, could I potentially push that as a connection?

You grew up there/lived there for many years, direct family living there etc. You should also emphasize this during secondaries/essays, because otherwise they might think "does this person from PA who has no obvious connection to our state actually want to come here?"

I think the institution you do your post-bacc in is certainly in game. If you plan on staying in the state you can make the case there to. But officially you can really only be "in state" for one state (where you put your address on AMCAS I believe).

Reactions: 1 users
You grew up there/lived there for many years, direct family living there etc. You should also emphasize this during secondaries/essays, because otherwise they might think "does this person from PA who has no obvious connection to our state actually want to come here?"

I think the institution you do your post-bacc in is certainly in game. If you plan on staying in the state you can make the case there to. But officially you can really only be "in state" for one state (where you put your address on AMCAS I believe).
This is great information, thank you so much for your advice!