Please Help..Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take the MCAT again?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

hawaiinchick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

I am currently applying to osteopathic schools for the third year in a row. I have a 27 MCAT and a 3.12 undergrad gpa and a 2.86 science undergrad gpa. Last year I did a masters biomedical sciences program and unfortunately did not do too much better (2.96 gpa). i received a 27 mcat score in my second attempt. since my gpa is on the lower side, i thought of retaking the mcat in july to try to bring it to a 30+ to help offset my lower gpa. unfortunately i voided that exam (3rd attempt) because i felt i did very poorly on PS. i was averaging a 27 on my aamc practice exams. i am debating whether i should give the mcat another shot. my gut tells me i can do better, but i really dont want to risk going lower. when i got a 27, i was averaging a 25 on my aamcs, so i did better than my average. don't know what to do. i have a lot of shadowing, extracurriculars, volunteering, good letters of rec and personal statement. if i don't get in this year, i am planning on going to the caribbean. any advice on whether i should give the mcat another shot?? its driving me nuts! debating between the sept 18 test date and october 25 th

Members don't see this ad.

I would stop retaking the MCAT. You've hit a ceiling of performance for that and you don't want to risk it especially since you are on thin ice with your sGPA.

Retake all C/D/F grades for the AACOMAS grade replacement policy. You need as many (if not all) A's in these courses.

Would not suggest Caribbean schools however.

Edit: Just think very hard about Caribbean schools, there are a lot of barriers you will have to get over if you take that path. If you consider it, podiatry is also a very good medical career path. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey ya'll

I am currently applying to osteopathic schools for the third year in a row. I have a 27 MCAT and a 3.12 undergrad gpa and a 2.86 science undergrad gpa. Last year I did a masters biomedical sciences program and unfortunately did not do too much better (2.96 gpa). i received a 27 mcat score in my second attempt. since my gpa is on the lower side, i thought of retaking the mcat in july to try to bring it to a 30+ to help offset my lower gpa. unfortunately i voided that exam (3rd attempt) because i felt i did very poorly on PS. i was averaging a 27 on my aamc practice exams. i am debating whether i should give the mcat another shot. my gut tells me i can do better, but i really dont want to risk going lower. when i got a 27, i was averaging a 25 on my aamcs, so i did better than my average. don't know what to do. i have a lot of shadowing, extracurriculars, volunteering, good letters of rec and personal statement. if i don't get in this year, i am planning on going to the caribbean. any advice on whether i should give the mcat another shot?? its driving me nuts! debating between the sept 18 test date and october 25 th

The fact you are applying for medical school a third year in a row is worrisome. However, I would advise against taking the MCAT a 4th time unless you are scoring 32+ on your practice exams consistently. GPA repair is your best option to get into osteopathic schools, replacing science pre-reqs with A's will bring your science GPA up considerably and give you a much better chance if you can get your science GPA to a 3.2 or higher.

If you want to give the Caribbean consideration, go for it, but do your research and consider the severe disadvantage it may put you in in 2019-2020 when you are applying for residency and the AOA/ACGME merger has been fully integrated. IMG's are not fairing well as it is, and the merger will only make things more difficult for them.

Best option is to find a community college near you and re-take key science pre-reqs to bring your sGPA above 3.2 and give yourself a better chance. Possibly taking some time off from applying for a year or two would be beneficial as well to improve your application with some medically related work and/or some non-clinical volunteer work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO offers grade replacement, applying with a sgpa below 3 is unnacceptable. Get your gpa up with retakes

I will say though that the smp is like a noose around your neck. That was your chance to prove you could hang and you struggled.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea dude the SMP really really hurts your cause... Maybe consider something else. You have a big uphill battle. I am definitely not just trying to be negative, but usually the smp's help save people and get them in, but you basically confirmed that you wont be able to handle it. I mean realistically imagine how it would go in med school?... It certainly doesnt get easier...

Yea dude the SMP really really hurts your cause... Maybe consider something else. You have a big uphill battle. I am definitely not just trying to be negative, but usually the smp's help save people and get them in, but you basically confirmed that you wont be able to handle it. I mean realistically imagine how it would go in med school?... It certainly doesnt get easier...

I was thinking along the same lines.

If you really, really want to become a physician, it looks it's basically Caribbean or bust at this point. But even then, with the seeming difficulties IMGs will face in the future, you will need to really excel there, and to be honest, you have shown a history of struggles with science courses. It would be a risk.

does my MCAT score speak for anything? i mean i think its still considered to be decently competitive for DO...is there any correlation between an MCAT score and my future ability to pass USMLE's?

does my MCAT score speak for anything? i mean i think its still considered to be decently competitive for DO...is there any correlation between an MCAT score and my future ability to pass USMLE's?

Your MCAT score is below the national average. It is competitive for the mid-level DO programs IF you have decent GPA's to go along with it. A 27 by no means makes up for sub 3.0 sGPA, not even close.

Your science GPA and your SMP speak to your ability to handle material. Medical school isn't a walk in the park academically, it is more of a 2 year marathon with massive amounts of information. According to your GPA and SMP, you would struggle severely with the academic course load in medical school.

There is a correlation between MCAT and USMLE. But to to get to the USMLE you have to survive the courses of MS1 and MS2. Your sGPA does not prove that you can handle those medical courses unfortunately. Note that DO programs and admissions are very serious when it comes to looking at the whol application but usually sub 3.0's are a red flag for any medical program, especially in the science coursework.

I highly suggest retaking all C/D/F classes at a school (university or community college), I think it's your last chance at proving yourself.

Your MCAT is the average for DO matriculants. I definitely wouldn't retake unless you were getting above 30 on average on practice tests. That said, I agree with others that you may have reached your peak for the MCAT.

Now the SMP does hurt you, but I don't think it's unrecoverable. For now you should take retakes for anything that you got below B- on. You can take them at the cheapest college you can find. You need to bring your GPAs at least above a 3.0, but ~3.2/3.3 would be better. After that, apply early (June) and broadly (>15 DO schools with a good number of new and lower to mid stat schools). I think you might be able to get an acceptance that way.

At this point, I really would recommend against going Carib. Even current Carib students and graduates have said that its not as easy as it once was to get a residency as an IMG, and many think it will only get harder. Without a residency you're medical degree is pretty useless. It may have been a good and viable option in the past, but now I really couldn't recommend it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey ya'll

Don't retake the MCAT. That's silly.

Make up classes...thats your best (and probably only) shot.

What are the correlations between MCAT and USMLE scores?

Also, my 27 is only valid for this year. If I have to re-apply any time in the future , I'll have to retake the mcat, which is different starting in January. From that perspective isn't it just worth it to take it now before it changes ?

Also, my 27 is only valid for this year. If I have to re-apply any time in the future , I'll have to retake the mcat, which is different starting in January. From that perspective isn't it just worth it to take it now before it changes ?

So you took that mcat 2-3 years ago?

Assuming there's no way you can take the 2015 mcat, in this one instance I'd say maybe take it again but realize.youll probably do worse. It's a long shot but I don't think your current app will get you a do school so you don't have much to lose.

Also skip the carribean and go to pod school instead.

Word... podiatry is a little gem in the medical world. Its actually a sweet gig and its significantly easier to get into pod school.

Send me a personal message if you want more information on it - I worked at a podiatrist's.

If I was in your shoes I would apply to pod now and see how it goes. If that is not an option you are willing to consider (you should at least consider it though...) I would retake some courses, study fast and hard and retake the MCAT before 2015, and apply very broadly and very early next year.

Why are you still taking the MCAT? Your GPA is what needs improvement. I agree with others here before me; start retaking FDC coursework and stop applying with an unfinished application (sub 3.00 is unfinished unless you have some miraculous item to offset that).

Google this information.

If you took the MCAT 2-3 years ago and you have to retake it, then it would probably be easier to take it before the 2015 comes into effect in Jan. However, you need to prepare and guarantee a high quality score 29+ would be an excellent goal for you. After that score, RETAKING COURSEWORK is your best option if you are set on osteopathic schools.

Podiatry school is also a great option in your current state.

ill look into podiatry.

thanks for your input guys. it seems that there are slightly mixed opinions now. since the test is changing , my last shot is now... i can study but if im not hitting 29+ average i wont take it. how does that sound

ill look into podiatry.

thanks for your input guys. it seems that there are slightly mixed opinions now. since the test is changing , my last shot is now... i can study but if im not hitting 29+ average i wont take it. how does that sound

Sounds good. Then take retakes to bring up your GPA.

Last edited:
ill look into podiatry.

How long ago did you take the MCAT of 27?
Don't forget that the current MCAT exam will be offered through January 2015, so you will have plenty of time to prepare. I would absolutely retake courses as well. One thing I've learned about myself (over my two MCATs) is that I perform better when I have a set schedule, i.e. studying for the MCAT alongside a part-time job or courses. Otherwise, I tend to find myself procrastinating when there's nothing else to do, because "there's always more time," or "I can always do that later." May I ask if there were any extenuating circumstances that hindered your performance in the SMP? Truthfully, it will probably be tough making up for the sGPAs. I do think that time and grade replacements are the only things that may potentially help your application. Take some time to bring your grades up and gather more life experiences- and explore other options as recommended above if you're willing.

The MCAT is not the issue, your GPA is. Dooing poorly in your MS program is a kiss of death for your medical career. Go to Plan B, as you have yet to demonstrate you'd survive medical school.

Hey ya'll