PLEASE HELP! Rutgers Background Check Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katie.R

Reaction score
So I recently got accepted to Rutgers and during my interview day they really emphasized disclosing anything that might come up on your school background check saying that they don't care what it is just that you disclose it. If you don't disclose it and something pops up they will take back your acceptance. Something that I think would also apply to the conditional background check.
So after I got accepted I look at the criminal background check that asks " Have you ever been convicted, pleaded guilty, or no contest to a crime, misdemeanor or other offense?" I have no criminal background or history but a few years ago I got a minor traffic violation for rolling through a stop sign. Nothing major and only considered a minor traffic violation in NJ where I got the ticket. I had to go to traffic court and paid a small fine but got no points on my license. This was my first ever ticket. I never got any paperwork from the court or anything. I am going to disclose this on the form but I reached out to someone at admissions at Rutgers and at first they said if its a minor traffic violation it should be fine as long as it doesn't come up on the background check. Only I don't know if it will because different background checks look at different things. So I emailed her again and she wrote back that I should have disclosed it in my application or at the interview but I was never asked about traffic violations any time before this form. This leads me to my fear that if I submit this form with the disclosure and it pops up (regardless that it would come up as a traffic violation) that they will take back my offer of admission. I have to turn in this form with my deposit and wont hear back about the background check until it is too late to accept from other schools that have accepted me. So if they take my offer away, I might not be going anywhere. I tried calling the admissions office but they wont pick up and you can't leave a message. What should I do? Do you think they will see my traffic violation on the background check and if so do you think they will take away my admission?

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently got accepted to Rutgers and during my interview day they really emphasized disclosing anything that might come up on your school background check saying that they don't care what it is just that you disclose it. If you don't disclose it and something pops up they will take back your acceptance. Something that I think would also apply to the conditional background check.
So after I got accepted I look at the criminal background check that asks " Have you ever been convicted, pleaded guilty, or no contest to a crime, misdemeanor or other offense?" I have no criminal background or history but a few years ago I got a minor traffic violation for rolling through a stop sign. Nothing major and only considered a minor traffic violation in NJ where I got the ticket. I had to go to traffic court and paid a small fine but got no points on my license. This was my first ever ticket. I never got any paperwork from the court or anything. I am going to disclose this on the form but I reached out to someone at admissions at Rutgers and at first they said if its a minor traffic violation it should be fine as long as it doesn't come up on the background check. Only I don't know if it will because different background checks look at different things. So I emailed her again and she wrote back that I should have disclosed it in my application or at the interview but I was never asked about traffic violations any time before this form. This leads me to my fear that if I submit this form with the disclosure and it pops up (regardless that it would come up as a traffic violation) that they will take back my offer of admission. I have to turn in this form with my deposit and wont hear back about the background check until it is too late to accept from other schools that have accepted me. So if they take my offer away, I might not be going anywhere. I tried calling the admissions office but they wont pick up and you can't leave a message. What should I do? Do you think they will see my traffic violation on the background check and if so do you think they will take away my admission?
Traffic violations wouldn’t apply to this. I wouldn’t worry

You're worried about..... a traffic ticket?? I'm sorry but you're panicking over absolutely nothing. I had 2 before I got into dental school, never was mentioned or a problem. Kinda weird that the admissions lady didn't just flat out tell you not to worry but maybe they're busy with other things. Yeah don't worry literally at all. The background check is for serious crimes or offenses, not getting pulled over by the cops for rolling a stop sign.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
LMAO i got like 5+ traffic violation. You need to chill. Background check is looking for if you murder someone, etc..

Good luck I went to RU. Loved it there.