PLEASE HELP! What should I do ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agd79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, ya I know there was another post. Please answer to this one instead of the one below.

I was made to withdraw from a dental school & the school's lawyer made me sign a waiver, to never sue them, tell anyone about the waiver, etc. There was an appeal sent to the President, but he hadn't ruled on it yet. Should I go to the President & tell him what they did ?
Bring along a tv newsreporter when I go see him (although in the waiver I'm not suppose to tell anyone). ?

Basically I was diagnosed with anxiety (a disability), but the school lawyer is refusing to see that I have accommodations for it. During 1st year, my laptop broke down during an exam, I had to follow the instructor's directive when she told me to use front computer, then she yelled at me when I told her it didn't have the program that shuts all programs so you can't go online to cheat during exams. Students complained that this caused disruptions. I really think also that some of these complainers were out to get me, since the dean of student affairs told everyone at the school to start documenting me, just so he can kick me out under "Professionalism issues." That dean said there were many complaints, such as me moving seats during an exam (which I can't see how this is an issue since I did it quietly). Basically, every move I make, he told people to document. The school is predominantly white male, I'm minority female, so my lawyer said there was definitely discrimination. And of course people were trying to win favors with the dean at my expense. The lawyer quit when I was debating about whether to sign the withdrawal waiver or not. Basically the waiver says the school let me voluntarily withdraw from the school, instead of being dismissed. I was terrified of dismissal status, since this affects so many other careers. But withdrawing from dental school means it'll be really hard to get back into another school, unless I said I was sick for several years so that's why I withdrew.

The question is should I talk to the President to get him to let me come back in the future ? The thing is I'm applying to my school in my own country, where it's more standardized if students fail something, unlike this previous school I was at, where it was up to the dean to choose who he wants to kick out/repeat the year. The program's hard enough so about 1/4 to 1/3 of students usually fail at least a class, so it's not hard for him to pick out anyone within that group to kick out if he doesn't like that person. In the student handbook, it says a "D" in a class in 1 semester = probation. A "D" in a class in the following semester = remediation or repeat the year or dismissal. So basically, it's not hard to fail a class & be at dean's mercy. At the school in my country, as long as students get 70% average in the year's work, they can remediate any failed classes. Plus, 2 students who didn't get this average still were offered chance to repeat the year. So I'd much rather go to my country's school. But should I still try to keep the door open at this previous school by talking to the President, in case I want to come back in the future ?

Members don't see this ad.

Although, I don't know if I agree with your attorney's assessment that because you are a minority female, this is a case of discrimination. I think it could be discriminatory based on other factors (which may be hard to prove). This should be your first and last lesson not to sign any legal document w/o legal representation. They got what they wanted (a legally enforceable consent to withdraw w/o any liability on their part). So, I guess what I'm saying is that regardless of what your next move is, don't do it w/o consulting a lawyer or it will mean nothing.

Last edited:
What school are you going to, I want to make sure NEVER to go to that school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, ya I know there was another post. Please answer to this one instead of the one below.

I was made to withdraw from a dental school & the school's lawyer made me sign a waiver, to never sue them, tell anyone about the waiver, etc. There was an appeal sent to the President, but he hadn't ruled on it yet. Should I go to the President & tell him what they did ?
Bring along a tv newsreporter when I go see him (although in the waiver I'm not suppose to tell anyone). ?

Basically I was diagnosed with anxiety (a disability), but the school lawyer is refusing to see that I have accommodations for it. During 1st year, my laptop broke down during an exam, I had to follow the instructor's directive when she told me to use front computer, then she yelled at me when I told her it didn't have the program that shuts all programs so you can't go online to cheat during exams. Students complained that this caused disruptions. I really think also that some of these complainers were out to get me, since the dean of student affairs told everyone at the school to start documenting me, just so he can kick me out under "Professionalism issues." That dean said there were many complaints, such as me moving seats during an exam (which I can't see how this is an issue since I did it quietly). Basically, every move I make, he told people to document. The school is predominantly white male, I'm minority female, so my lawyer said there was definitely discrimination. And of course people were trying to win favors with the dean at my expense. The lawyer quit when I was debating about whether to sign the withdrawal waiver or not. Basically the waiver says the school let me voluntarily withdraw from the school, instead of being dismissed. I was terrified of dismissal status, since this affects so many other careers. But withdrawing from dental school means it'll be really hard to get back into another school, unless I said I was sick for several years so that's why I withdrew.

The question is should I talk to the President to get him to let me come back in the future ? The thing is I'm applying to my school in my own country, where it's more standardized if students fail something, unlike this previous school I was at, where it was up to the dean to choose who he wants to kick out/repeat the year. The program's hard enough so about 1/4 to 1/3 of students usually fail at least a class, so it's not hard for him to pick out anyone within that group to kick out if he doesn't like that person. In the student handbook, it says a "D" in a class in 1 semester = probation. A "D" in a class in the following semester = remediation or repeat the year or dismissal. So basically, it's not hard to fail a class & be at dean's mercy. At the school in my country, as long as students get 70% average in the year's work, they can remediate any failed classes. Plus, 2 students who didn't get this average still were offered chance to repeat the year. So I'd much rather go to my country's school. But should I still try to keep the door open at this previous school by talking to the President, in case I want to come back in the future ?
WhAt school is this? I'm wanting to transfer, so I want to make sure this isn't the school I want to go to

Wait, I am confused, you DID sign the waiver? If you did, its over, they will kick you out and you won't be able to do anything about it.
You can try to speak w/ the president, but I can almost guarantee you, he will not take your side, because if he rules in your favor, its going to make the school look like a bunch of discriminating fools

edit...old thread

From my experience. First no one gives a **** about disability. Second, if you failed it is your problem. Third, if they decided to dismiss you - they covered their ass very well, you would not be able to prove anything
You can complain to the Department of Education or see University Ombudsmen. Both pretty useless.
You may claim to sign a paper under duress and still sue, if you have money