please help with some post-bacc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvinaC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you, first of all to anyone choosing to reply to my post and taking out the time to guide me in the right direction... My undergrad GPA is quite low, embarrassingly low in fact, and I have done my research on whether to do a formal post-bacc or SMP or a DIY post-bacc. I have come to the conclusion that I need to take many many credits to boost my GPA and a second bachelor's degree is what I need (I don't plan on finishing and will ditch the program once I have boosted up my GPA enough). Another reason for choosing a second bachelors degree is because I want to be a degree-seeking student for FAFSA reasons or else I will just do a DIY post-bacc. I have all the science pre-req (very low science gpa too) except for biochem, so the extra classes whether a second bachelor's or DIY, is simply to boost the gpa. Now my first question is: do I need to choose a science major for this second degree or should I choose just any degree and take loads of science classes? Because I don't plan on finishing the degree anyway, so does it really matter? My second question is: since I have all my pre-req science classes done and some elective science classes as well (bad grades in most of them), in my new degree do I retake the same courses for a better grade?

I had a few more questions which I can't remember right now :( But please anyone who knows from experience or has knowledge regarding my situation, kindly let me know...

Thank you,
Alvina.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm not sure if you will get FAFSA if you already have a degree, because I'm currently doing a DIY post-bacc and they said I get 0 federal aid (unless you mean loans that you pay back, you can get those).
Don't retake any class unless you failed with below a C.
And it doesn't matter what you major in as long as it gives you access to science classes to boost your GPA.

Hey, I'm not sure if you will get FAFSA if you already have a degree, because I'm currently doing a DIY post-bacc and they said I get 0 federal aid (unless you mean loans that you pay back, you can get those).
And it doesn't matter what you major in as long as it gives you access to science classes to boost your GPA.

Thank you so much for guiding me the right way. Yeah I read in few other places that there's no grant available for second bachelor's degree :( I just have one more question if you don't mind: If someone chooses to do a DIY post-bacc, they don't have to choose any major, correct? Since it will be non degree seeking I am guessing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for guiding me the right way. Yeah I read in few other places that there's no grant available for second bachelor's degree :( I just have one more question if you don't mind: If someone chooses to do a DIY post-bacc, they don't have to choose any major, correct? Since it will be non degree seeking I am guessing?
I guess you can list as “undeclared” if that’s a thing at your school, I just went with chemistry because the science advisor said to do so but I’m not finishing that degree, just taking my 30 credits and I’m out. No problem!

Reactions: 1 user
I guess you can list as “undeclared” if that’s a thing at your school, I just went with chemistry because the science advisor said to do so but I’m not finishing that degree, just taking my 30 credits and I’m out. No problem!
So I guess I did choose a major but only because that’s the process with enrolling back into my school!

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for all your help:) Good luck with your classes.