Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachieh13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure someone out there has already posted something similar to what I'm going to ask but I'll ask it for my own personal knowledge anyway...

I recently graduated with a BS in Exercise Science and due to some bad time management and the fact that my freshman year I played lacrosse my GPA suffered immensely (2.83). I ended up bringing it up a great deal after freshman year but it is still not where it needs to be to get into PT school. I did not take some prereqs that are required for most PT schools so I do have some work cut out for me. I have to take chem 1&2, bio 1&2 and physics 1&2....my university required me to take classes in these areas but they were not 4 credits with labs so I will have to take these before applying to PT school.

In the meantime I have done some observation and I did an internship in an outpatient orthopedic setting and I am now working full time as a tech and gaining experience.

I guess what I am asking is has anyone been in a similar situation with a GPA similar to mine and gotten into PT school? Or what do you think my chances are? I know that these 6 classes I have to take will help, but I'm still nervous. I have to take my GRE's yet and my boss, as well as some of my profs from undergrad have offered to write me recommendation letters. I know I want this more than anything and think that if I got into a PT school I would give it my all, I'm just hoping that someone gives me a chance to prove it.

Also, these 6 classes that I have to take I am planning on starting this summer at a local state school (Millersville University), because my community college does not offer them at convenient times with working. However, because I already have a bachelor's, they will be charging me grad school rates per credit which comes out to around $2,000 per class, which is another $12,000 on top of the debt I already have from undergrad and will be creating more debt if I get into PT school in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions on financial aid, grants or scholarships that are offered for the summer that I may qualify for?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I do want to let you know that Ocean County College (www.ocean.edu) offers Chem 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2 (algebra based) online, you just have to buy the lab packs and complete labs at home. The best part? You can still work full time at your job.

Just a thought. I would hate to pay grad school prices at your local university. I'm all for online courses, as they are really convenient. But do check with your prospective PT schools first, to see if it will transfer.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Wow that sounds awesome! especially because those are the 2 subjects I hate the most! How long are they? Thanks for the great info, I will definitely be checking into it

Members don't see this ad :)
The summer session is 10 weeks long, and the fall and spring sessions are the typical semester length. From what I've seen, I think they offer all 4 classes every semester.

Do you think it would be possible to take 2 classes at a time? or will that be too strenuous? I work full time in a physical therapy office as a tech and if I only take 1 at a time it will take forever until I can even apply to PT schools. Oh and it looks like they offer chem, bio and physics online according to the website.

OP- I work for Indiana University of PA and I know that we have a "continuing education" program. You should double-check on Millersville. I was able to apply to re-enter IUP as (here comes my huge title!!) a "post-bachelaurette non-degree seeking special status student".

Now, mind you, I got 0 financial aid, but I was able to take undergraduate courses at the credit rate.

Also, with all the PA budget cuts, you need to figure out immediately how this will effect cost. For example, at IUP we are anticipating a 60-some% raise in graduate tuition... (furthermore international graduate students will begin to pay 150% rate of the in-state graduate tuition beginning in fall 2011).

Actually that's exactly what I would be considered at Millersville. They just don't allow me to be a regular undergrad student, so I would still be paying the price of a grad student per class. But thank you for your help.

Oh and I emailed a bunch of PT schools that I would be interested in and I'm still waiting to hear back from most of them but I found out the Temple does not allow online science courses to be taken as prerequisites. Of course Temple is one of my top choices...however Arcadia and LVC have responded that online science courses as prereq's would be fine...guess i have a decision to make

Just for side information, there are some schools who will not accept those courses as online courses so you definitely need to check with the schools you are interested in to make sure they will transfer. I start PT school in January and know for a fact that the university I am attending would not have accepted those classes online.

I was looking at the Ocean County online physics classes, and I got the impression that it would cost much more. The site says it's about $230 per credit hour for out-of-staters, with a $100 distance learning fee, which would put it at about $1,000 for a four-credit class. It's not as bad as the $2,000 you'd have to pay, but it's still a good bit of money.

I would definitely recommend against taking online classes, especially the basic pre-reqs, and even more so because of your status. Taking the easy way to get into PT school is offensive and inappropriate in my opinion. Take the classes at a university and earn A's. And re-take some of your other classes. Take it easy.

well even if it is $1,000 per class thats still half the price and i'm ok with taking them online if i can do well. I am in a pinch with money as it is and I really can't afford to cut back my hours at work and be able to pay my bills so if its an option i think i'm gonna do it. I have emailed all my prospective PT schools and given them the name of the college and explained my situation in detail and so far all of the colleges have responded that they would accept those credits.

it works for me! thanks again for telling me about it!