DO Please Look at DO School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Statistics: California resident (white male)

Went to community college, then transferred to UCLA and received BS in neuroscience.

3.38 sGPA
3.4 cGPA
31 MCAT (11/9/11)

-400 hours clinical volunteer in surgery center
-50 hours clinical volunteer in Children's hospital in program for disadvantaged children
-50 hours clinical volunteer in radiology/ER department of hospital
-750 hours/ 5 quarters of Alzheimer research performing immunohistochemistry stainings
-other small non-medical volunteer (nothing crazy)
-lots of shadowing (pediatric pathologist, surgical pathology, radiology, anesthesia, orthopedic surgery, family medicine)
-mostly decent LOR and one great LOR from P.I. at UCLA

Here are the schools I am thinking about so far. I don't know much about D.O. schools, so I was going a lot off the price tag. Chances at these schools? Any I should remove or add?

A.T. Still University- Kirksville ATSU-KCOM
A.T. Still University-Arizona ATSU-SOMA
Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Lake Erie LECOM (all campuses)
Lincoln Memorial LMU-DCOM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
University of North Texas UNTHSC/TCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA's are both (slightly) below avg, but MCAT is higher than the avg at every DO school in the country. If it matters to you, these schools you listed are very new and thus are under provisional accreditation until they graduate their first class:

Alabama COM (first class started 2013), Campbell CUSOM (first class in 2013), Liberty (first class in 2014).
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/about/affiliates/Pages/osteopathic-medical-schools.aspx

Also, you must apply to Univ of North Texas/TCOM through the TMDSAS application instead of AACOMAS like the rest, and TCOM is required to accept 90% Texas residents, leaving ~15-20 out of state acceptances per class

You'll have no problem getting in. Too many safety in my opinion. Have no more than 3. Maybe add NSU and TouroCA .

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA's are both (slightly) below avg, but MCAT is higher than the avg at every DO school in the country. If it matters to you, these schools you listed are very new and thus are under provisional accreditation until they graduate their first class:

Alabama COM (first class started 2013), Campbell CUSOM (first class in 2013), Liberty (first class in 2014).
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/about/affiliates/Pages/osteopathic-medical-schools.aspx

Also, you must apply to Univ of North Texas/TCOM through the TMDSAS application instead of AACOMAS like the rest, and TCOM is required to accept 90% Texas residents, leaving ~15-20 out of state acceptances per class

Thank you for your insight. Do you know if the school being newer will affect my chances of landing a solid residency or anything like that?

As stated by others, I'd cut TCOM. I'd also suggest KCOM and CCOM (if the price tag doesn't deter you).

As stated by others, I'd cut TCOM. I'd also suggest KCOM and CCOM (if the price tag doesn't deter you).

I know that TCOM accepts mostly in-state students. However, since my GPA is above near their average and my MCAT is above the average, I feel like I may still have a shot, don't you think?

Where's the infamous @Goro

I know that TCOM accepts mostly in-state students. However, since my GPA is above near their average and my MCAT is above the average, I feel like I may still have a shot, don't you think?

Where's the infamous @Goro

It doesn't hurt to apply. It's a solid school with a good reputation. I'm just looking at things in terms of cost in applying and odds of acceptance.

MD schools have tiers. Do DO schools have something like that? Which schools are considered more established and more top tier?

"Tiers" are pretty meaningless. In regards to DO schools the more reputable ones are generally considered to be the established ones (KCOM, DMU, CCOM, KCUMB, and PCOM) and ones associated with state schools (e.g., TCOM, Michigan, OU-HCOM, etc.). As far as newer ones I've heard good things about MUCOM.

It doesn't hurt to apply. It's a solid school with a good reputation. I'm just looking at things in terms of cost in applying and odds of acceptance.

"Tiers" are pretty meaningless. In regards to DO schools the more reputable ones are generally considered to be the established ones (KCOM, DMU, CCOM, KCUMB, and PCOM) and ones associated with state schools (e.g., TCOM, Michigan, OU-HCOM, etc.). As far as newer ones I've heard good things about MUCOM.

Awesome. So I have KCOM, DMU, KCUMB, and PCOM. The state schools I don't think Ill get into (accept TCOM). Anything else?

Awesome. So I have KCOM, DMU, KCUMB, and PCOM. The state schools I don't think Ill get into (accept TCOM). Anything else?

If you want you could consider Michigan and Ohio. I've come across quite a few SDNers who've been accepted to those schools as OOS applicants with few, if any, ties to the region. The OOS tuition is pretty high but I've heard Michigan is usually pretty good with scholarships, and Ohio will reduce OOS tuition if you practice in the area for x number of years once you're an attending. The only school not on your list that I applied to this past cycle was UNECOM. I've heard mixed things about UNECOM, though nothing horrible, and I have a relative who used to be a professor there who doesn't have anything bad to say about it. I turned down my II from them so I can't comment much more about the school.

If you want you could consider Michigan and Ohio. I've come across quite a few SDNers who've been accepted to those schools as OOS applicants with few, if any, ties to the region. The OOS tuition is pretty high but I've heard Michigan is usually pretty good with scholarships, and Ohio will reduce OOS tuition if you practice in the area for x number of years once you're an attending. The only school not on your list that I applied to this past cycle was UNECOM. I've heard mixed things about UNECOM, though nothing horrible, and I have a relative who used to be a professor there who doesn't have anything bad to say about it. I turned down my II from them so I can't comment much more about the school.

Ok ok. I didn't apply there because of the huge price tag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I think I have ohio (OU-HCOM?

What do you mean by "safety" and which ones on here are "safety"?
CUSOM, GA PCOM, KYCOM and WCUCOM. I think you had Liberty too in your list. If your safeties are just those original 4, I think you'll be fine, but I'd recommend changing KYCOM to LMU-DCOM because it is a much stronger program.

Don't apply to COMP-NW unless you prefer it over Pomona. The problem is that you have to select which one of the two campuses is your preference. If they reject you pre-interview from your campus of choice, your application gets sent to the other campus. Most people have this never happen because they are put on a "hold" bubble indefinitely or they are rejected post-interview, which no longer allows your application to move to the other campus.

I also think that you'd be a viable candidate for both Midwestern Campuses (AZ and IL), and I wouldn't discount sending an application to Rowan.

Lastly, don't put your research in terms of hours. For anyone doing research that's meaningless. I think about 20% of all my lab time has been waiting. Put research as number of months and/or years.

CUSOM, GA PCOM, KYCOM and WCUCOM. I think you had Liberty too in your list. If your safeties are just those original 4, I think you'll be fine, but I'd recommend changing KYCOM to LMU-DCOM because it is a much stronger program.

Don't apply to COMP-NW unless you prefer it over Pomona. The problem is that you have to select which one of the two campuses is your preference. If they reject you pre-interview from your campus of choice, your application gets sent to the other campus. Most people have this never happen because they are put on a "hold" bubble indefinitely or they are rejected post-interview, which no longer allows your application to move to the other campus.

I also think that you'd be a viable candidate for both Midwestern Campuses (AZ and IL), and I wouldn't discount sending an application to Rowan.

Lastly, don't put your research in terms of hours. For anyone doing research that's meaningless. I think about 20% of all my lab time has been waiting. Put research as number of months and/or years.

I meant what do you mean by "safety"? Are these safety schools not as good? LMU-DCOM is stronger than KYCOM?

I would prefer the Pomona campus to the Oregon one, however this was a cost choice. The reason I would choose Oregon over Pomona is because my girlfriend/soon to be wife's relatives live there and have a house that I am thinking they will let us live in/rent for cheap. This would really cut down the price tag since it is really expensive to live in the LA/Pomona area (I went to UCLA and spent huge amounts of money on living).

Are you talking about AZCOM? I would LOVE to go there, but spending 56k a year is crazy. Since I think I may have a chance at most of these schools, my main two driving factors are cost (inc. tuition and living expenses) and how good of connections they may have. I know AZCOM is really expensive in terms of tuition, but maybe the cheaper living can overcome the expensive price tag? I am not sure. I wish there was a spreadsheet that had all this information.

I meant what do you mean by "safety"? Are these safety schools not as good? LMU-DCOM is stronger than KYCOM?

I would prefer the Pomona campus to the Oregon one, however this was a cost choice. The reason I would choose Oregon over Pomona is because my girlfriend/soon to be wife's relatives live there and have a house that I am thinking they will let us live in/rent for cheap. This would really cut down the price tag since it is really expensive to live in the LA/Pomona area (I went to UCLA and spent huge amounts of money on living).

Are you talking about AZCOM? I would LOVE to go there, but spending 56k a year is crazy. Since I think I may have a chance at most of these schools, my main two driving factors are cost (inc. tuition and living expenses) and how good of connections they may have. I know AZCOM is really expensive in terms of tuition, but maybe the cheaper living can overcome the expensive price tag? I am not sure. I wish there was a spreadsheet that had all this information.
Safety means that your probability of getting in are higher than average. It's always good to have some safeties, but if you have too many, you'd have wasted money on those applications and going to the interviews. AZCOM is expensive as hell. It is what deterred me from applying. However, WesternU is 52k by now. Just apply to OR campus and skip the Pomona application if you prefer OR.

Also, on the application it makes you put the number of hours for research.
That is true, but it would be good in your description if you clarified the time by months/years.

You say change KCOM to LMU-DCOM (Lincoln memorial). Did you mean change KCOM to liberty?

Oh gotcha.

Kentucky is UP-KYCOM that's why I got confused.

Also, I have LMU-DCOM on the list already.
Oh, then you're good. Eliminate Kentucky. They have very low board pass rates and many have expressed discontent with rotations.

Here is my updated new list so far. @Goro @AlbinoHawk DO

Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM

Last edited:

A.T. Still University- Kentucky ATSU-KCOM
Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM
KCOM is Kirksville, MO, not Kentucky.

Looks OK, but suggest swapping out TCOM (which has a TX bias), for another school. Strongly suggest MUCOM.

Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM[/QUOTE]

Looks OK, but suggest swapping out TCOM (which has a TX bias), for another school. Strongly suggest MUCOM.

Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Goro!

Question: why Marion?

Also, I know Texas is a big reach, but it's worth it to me to apply there. I would love to live there!

Campbell CUSOM
Des Moines DMU-COM
Kansas City KCUMB-COM
Ohio OU-HCOM
Oklahoma OSU-COM
Philadelphia PCOM
Western U/COMP
William Carey WCUCOM
Nova NSU-COM
Touro-CA TUCOM-CA
Michigan State MSU-COM

Not sure if this matters to you or not (some people mind, others don't), but read the following post if you haven't already regarding LECOM Erie/Bradenton and dress code, no water/food policy, rotation and administration issues, etc. the rules apply to both campus':

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lake-erie-lecom-discussion-thread-2012-2013.912629/

Also, if that's where you want to be then go for it, but again both TCOM and OSU COM accept ~90% of their states residents, leaving around 15-20 out of state acceptances per class

Last edited: