please please help me!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raj123singh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am back again with the same question. I am doing really bad in verbal. I am getting around 4. Everyone here seems to love EK method for verbal. so I started doing that. I read for the main idea, author's tone; however my score are not improving. I have tired everything, taking notes on the side, highlighting, mental mapping, but when I get to question and see all those choices I get confuse. Then I get most of the question wrong doesn't matter how well I have understand the passage.
I don't know what to do at this point and I don't know what else to try or what I am doing wrong. I am almost done with EK 1001 book and haven't seen any improvement.
Oh English is not native language.
Please give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

why are you getting questions wrong? do the correct answers make sense as to you after you read them? how long does it take you to do each passage? do you find you simply don't know the meaning of certain words? do you do poorly on all passages or are there some topics that you do okay on (like a passage about science as opposed to one about literature)?

why are you getting questions wrong? do the correct answers make sense as to you after you read them? how long does it take you to do each passage? do you find you simply don't know the meaning of certain words? do you do poorly on all passages or are there some topics that you do okay on (like a passage about science as opposed to one about literature)?
It takes 10 mins for me to finish a passage. yes when I go over the answer, it makes sense why I got it wrong, its either i didn't pay attention to certain part of the passage or I didn't understand the question. yes I do bad in history or religious passages, but then there are some passages that are easy to read and interesting and I still miss 2 or 3 question.

Dude, the best suggestion I can give you is that if you're bilingual, try to translate it to another language. I've found that when I translate in my head, I think harder about the subtle meanings and tone of the author. See if it works and let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, the best suggestion I can give you is that if you're bilingual, try to translate it to another language. I've found that when I translate in my head, I think harder about the subtle meanings and tone of the author. See if it works and let me know.
Thanks for the advice. well I have tried that too. I have try to translate some part of the passage in my own language, but when I look at the answer choices they don't make sense. however when i do go over the answer, then they make sense.
also i pay too much attention to the detail and try to understand everything. do you think that could be the reason, if so what should i do :(

Hi
I am back again with the same question. I am doing really bad in verbal. I am getting around 4. Everyone here seems to love EK method for verbal. so I started doing that. I read for the main idea, author's tone; however my score are not improving. I have tired everything, taking notes on the side, highlighting, mental mapping, but when I get to question and see all those choices I get confuse. Then I get most of the question wrong doesn't matter how well I have understand the passage.
I don't know what to do at this point and I don't know what else to try or what I am doing wrong. I am almost done with EK 1001 book and haven't seen any improvement.
Oh English is not native language.
Please give me some advice.

I've had quite the battle with verbal, but things are finally looking good for me. You have to find a strategy that fits you. For one thing, do not take notes on the side-this may kill your timing. Are you going back to the passage while answering questions? If you are, don't do that either. That will also kill your time and you most likely won't find the answer in the passage anyway (at least not for the inference type questions).

Here's what I do:

Spend about 4 minutes reading the passage. Yes, 4. My score went up when I devoted an extra minute to the passage. I read the passages slow, then answer the questions swiftly. I never go back to the passage until I'm done answering each and every question. I usually have about a minute left after I answer all the questions, since reading the passage slower helps me to understand the passage more, and thus makes it easier to answer the questions. So, 4 minutes to read the passage, then answer the questions without going back to the passage. IF YOU HAVE TIME LEFT OVER: go back to the questions you were unsure of/you marked, and go back to the passage if you think you can find the answer. Only go back when you 1) have time and 2) know what you're looking for (I think EK says this).

When reading the passage:
I highlight key words like "but, yet, however, moreover"-these words either add to or detract from the main idea. I also highlight other words that illustrate the author's personal point of view. Don't get bogged down in details. And don't reread sentences/words you find confusing because you'll most likely be confused when you read them a second time.

When answering questions:
Like I said before, do not go back to the passage. Just don't do it. Use the process of elimination to eliminate obvious wrong answer choices (i.e., extreme answer choices are almost always wrong). The trick is to really narrow it down to 2 answer choices, and if you're stuck, ask yourself "what's the main idea?" The right answer will usually fit within the main idea of the passage.

To sum up, read the passage a bit slower, and answer the questions fast without going back to the passage. If you have time left after answering all questions in the passage, then go back if you know what to look for. Passages slow, questions fast. Try this-it may or may not work. Good luck.

I've had quite the battle with verbal, but things are finally looking good for me. You have to find a strategy that fits you. For one thing, do not take notes on the side-this may kill your timing. Are you going back to the passage while answering questions? If you are, don't do that either. That will also kill your time and you most likely won't find the answer in the passage anyway (at least not for the inference type questions).

Here's what I do:

Spend about 4 minutes reading the passage. Yes, 4. My score went up when I devoted an extra minute to the passage. I read the passages slow, then answer the questions swiftly. I never go back to the passage until I'm done answering each and every question. I usually have about a minute left after I answer all the questions, since reading the passage slower helps me to understand the passage more, and thus makes it easier to answer the questions. So, 4 minutes to read the passage, then answer the questions without going back to the passage. IF YOU HAVE TIME LEFT OVER: go back to the questions you were unsure of/you marked, and go back to the passage if you think you can find the answer. Only go back when you 1) have time and 2) know what you're looking for (I think EK says this).

When reading the passage:
I highlight key words like "but, yet, however, moreover"-these words either add to or detract from the main idea. I also highlight other words that illustrate the author's personal point of view. Don't get bogged down in details. And don't reread sentences/words you find confusing because you'll most likely be confused when you read them a second time.

When answering questions:
Like I said before, do not go back to the passage. Just don't do it. Use the process of elimination to eliminate obvious wrong answer choices (i.e., extreme answer choices are almost always wrong). The trick is to really narrow it down to 2 answer choices, and if you're stuck, ask yourself "what's the main idea?" The right answer will usually fit within the main idea of the passage.

To sum up, read the passage a bit slower, and answer the questions fast without going back to the passage. If you have time left after answering all questions in the passage, then go back if you know what to look for. Passages slow, questions fast. Try this-it may or may not work. Good luck.
Thank G1SG2 for the advice. well yes I do go back to the passage and waste alot of time. I think my problem is that when I read a passage I can't visualize what the author is saying. I mean to say that I CAN'T MAKE connection b/w passages. When I finish reading the first or second paragraph and get to the last paragraph I tend to forget what was the main point in the previous paragraphs and that is only happening with verbal.
I am working on that and hope this work.

Thank G1SG2 for the advice. well yes I do go back to the passage and waste alot of time. I think my problem is that when I read a passage I can't visualize what the author is saying. I mean to say that I CAN'T MAKE connection b/w passages. When I finish reading the first or second paragraph and get to the last paragraph I tend to forget what was the main point in the previous paragraphs and that is only happening with verbal.
I am working on that and hope this work.

Try to summarize the paragraphs in your head as you move along. Practice doing this with articles in magazines/newspapers (i.e., the economist, WSJ, ny times, etc).