please respond! most satisfying part of your job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

oceankim

Hello to all who read this! I'm applying to medical school and I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a physician and what is the most absolute worst part about it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Best: Patient care
Worst: Patient care

What I mean is that knowing that you can make a difference in a patient's life is incredibly rewarding, and it's a great privelege to be in that role. At the same time, some patients are not at all pleasant to be around.

Other things that are nice: Getting paid lots of money, The prestige of being a doctor, The pride of knowing medicine.

Other things that are not nice: Not getting paid enough to deal with fill in the blank, Always being seen as a doctor, the responsibility of knowing medicine. Oh, yeah, and nasty co-workers and nurses (sometimes, not usually), mountains of paperwork, the threat of being sued for malpractice, long hours, stress, pressure to do research and bring money into the program if you are in academics, etc....

oceankim said:
Hello to all who read this! I'm applying to medical school and I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a physician and what is the most absolute worst part about it?
If you shouldn't be satisfied with the responses you are getting in this thread, you might want to also check out the following thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=195799

This should provide you with a fairly comprehensive list of items that people pursuing medicine as a career (dis-)like.

Knowing that I help people. A patient's mom just told me, "we are eternally grateful for your help." Now, I am not sure I was ALL that helpful, but hey, it is nice to hear that.

oceankim said:
I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a physician...

The people who appreciate what you do for them.

...and what is the most absolute worst part about it?

The people who don't appreciate what you do for them.

;)

Thanks for the info everyone! It makes sense. Please feel free to keep responding to my original post. I like to be prepared (as much as I can) for what I'm getting myself into.
-preparedoceankim!

I don't know about the prestige part - nowadays:
*80% Are thankful kind of the way you feel towards your mechanic; you're happy your car works but you aren't kissing his feet and singing while skipping in circles. These people make you feel satisfied with your job. :)
*15% Think your care sucks, even though they get better, because you aren't ordering the meds and/or studies THEY want because THEY'VE "researched this extensively on the internet." I've actually had parents tell me they were going to research the safest time to give immunizatons. I guess the CDC and AAP just doesn't cut it for them. These people make you feel like bludgeoning someone. :mad:
*5% Are happy with their care and have warm fuzzy feelings toward you. Some of them may give you a card. These people make you feel like you're the man. :cool:

The most satisfying thing?

Easy. Getting set up for a central line, lining up the landmarks, advancing the needle and getting the subclavian vein on the first try, getting good return, and not losing it before you successfully run the wire in.

(I really like those catheter over needle kits because once you get good return you can advance the catheter and have a secure path for the wire.)

And believe me. When I get the wire in it's Miller time. If I had a cigarette I'd smoke it because at that point, there's nothing to it.

Sincerely,

P. Bear
PGY-1 Emergency Medicine
Hey, I'm Still Learning How to Do These Things

oceankim said:
Hello to all who read this! I'm applying to medical school and I'm just wondering what is the most satisfying part of being a physician and what is the most absolute worst part about it? Thanks!

Hi there,
Good way to get info for your personal statement?? You could be more creative.
njbmd :)

I have to quote Dr Nick Riviera on this one:

"The most rewarding part was when I got my paycheck."

Nah, I agree with Neroscience.

Most rewarding....The girls that think its hot that your a doctor. (if your male), that and going home always makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Least rewarding...The guys that think it's hot that your a doctor. :eek:

Most rewarding: Getting to work with a bunch of great people and doing something that fascinates you.

Least rewarding: Being forced to work with the gunners, the slackers, and holier-than-thous that make up a large enough portion of the medical field.

Best part: my discounted hospital food. Being at a private hospital, the food is really choice and where else could you get ribs, potatoes and a soda for 3 bucks?? Also, all the freebies from commericial labs. I never have to buy coffee mugs or pens.