Please set the record straight. I am an NJ resident, am I considered IS or OOS for NY med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imposter_syndrome

Reaction score
I've heard so many different opinions. My premed advisor thinks they will consider me in state but many others don't. Can someone please set the record straight?

I should note that I did undergrad in New York.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard so many different opinions. My premed advisor thinks they will consider me in state but many others don't. Can someone please set the record straight?

OOS with ties to NY

Reactions: 2 users

Your advisor is an F***ing idiot. Of course you're OOS!

But most importantly, this applies to the SUNYs, not the private schools, which do not have a bias for IS. It only looks that way due to the large numbers of qualified applicants in NY. I should know, I went to school with their parents

Members don't see this ad :)
You can say that again.
Thanks. So considering my 511 mcat 3.75sgpa 3.78cgpa sounds like it would be a waste of time to apply to Buffalo Med, Upstate, Downstate, and Stony Brook Med (all public NY schools) considering their strong in-state preference, is that right?
I can't recommend the SUNYs. You will be simply corwded out by stronger applicants.

You should have some DO schools on your list, starting with the NY Touros, NYITCOM, UNECOM and PCOM, and Rowan (or is it Cooper?)

Did you go to one of the SUNYs for undergrad? May be worth applying to that one.

I can't recommend the SUNYs. You will be simply corwded out by stronger applicants.

You should have some DO schools on your list, starting with the NY Touros, NYITCOM, UNECOM and PCOM, and Rowan (or is it Cooper?)

The DO school is Rowan SOM. I believe cooper is the MD

Reactions: 1 user