Please Support PT by Opposing the CA Bill Limiting Use of Joint Manipulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lajoiedevivre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SPTs, PTs, Pre-PTs,

I don't usually mass post advocacy issues, but this one really worries me. There is a bill (SB 381) that is going to be brought before CA legislature on April 15th that, if it passes, will prevent anyone except physicians, chiropractors, osteopaths, and surgeons from performing joint manipulation. The bill is sponsored by the CA Chiropractic Association with the reasoning that other healthcare professionals including PTs lack the education and clinical reasoning skills to know when to safely utilize joint manipulation.

As a DPT student, this seems very unfair, as I have taken the same foundational classes as other healthcare professionals and have had to prove my clinical reasoning abilities in several practical exams before I was allowed to even start joint manipulation classes. After the countless hours my fellow classmates and I have devoted to learning manipulation techniques, I would like to be able to legally use them upon graduating when they are an appropriate intervention for my patients.

Please take a moment to support the autonomy and future of our profession. The following link is to a letter that you can send to the legislators.

http://www.congressweb.com/cpta/26

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: