PLS HELP! Stick with a possible C in Anatomy or drop with a W and retake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucci100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

1. Hello everyone,

New here, I'm currently stuck in a very stressful situation that may affect my chances of getting in Med School/PT School. I'm currently taking Anatomy at my local CC and my current grade is a mid C(76-77) that maybe could go up. The last day to drop the class with a W is tomorrow, Nov. 10th. Sadly, I underestimated the amount of time you have to study for a good grade in this course and took 2 other classes that are very time consuming. We have less than a month left in the semester and there's only 2 lecture exams & 1 lab practical left that could possibly bump or lower my grade.

I'm really worried how bad a C in Anatomy would look when applying to universities and later on to med or PT school. I know it's a very important pre requisite course for anything related in the medical field which truly concerns me. I try to study the most I possibly can but with my classes, part time job and a ill mother, time becomes limited. I already have 3 Ws on my transcript from a previous semester when my mother was diagnosed. Would a 4th W be even worst than a C in Anatomy at this point? Drop deadline is tonight at 12 am

Members don't see this ad.

Also wanted to let everybody know that I recently talked to the SI of another anatomy teacher in my college and she's supposedly way easier than my current teacher. She provides study guides, practice test before every test, SI sessions, and her lecture exams are mostly multiple choice. My current teacher doesn't provide anything mentioned above, I believed multiple choice tests were prohibited in anatomy but she does them.

Your GPA is the first thing schools look at, and yes, anatomy is a very critical course for this field and showing that you can do well in it is important. I wouldn't worry about the W's as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is the first thing schools look at, and yes, anatomy is a very critical course for this field and showing that you can do well in it is important. I wouldn't worry about the W's as much.
Thanks for responding, I have 4 hours to make my decision. So it's better to take the W and retake? Do PT schools look down on pre requisite grades from a CC?

Well tbh, there's a lot more at stake when it comes to your grades. Having a W versus a C means your GPA won't be affected. If you kept at it and decided to retake it in the future, some PT schools may average the two instead of taking the higher grade (depending on where you apply). It's up to you to determine how much of a risk it would be in the future.

As for prereq grades from a CC, most schools don't care. If they have specific requirements about that they will usually be explicit.

Last edited:
Well tbh, there's a lot more at stake when it comes to your grades. Having a W versus a C means your GPA won't be affected. If you kept at it and decided to retake it in the future, some PT schools may average the two instead of taking the higher grade (depending on where you apply). It's up to you to determine how much of a risk it would be in the future.

As for prereq grades from a CC, most schools don't care. If they have specific requirements about that they will usually be explicit.

I would only be applying to PTCAS programs as I live in California. Do you if these programs average both grades?

I would go with the W and then retake it. You will likely have to explain yourself when you apply, but at least your GPA won't be affected. Some PT schools require that A&P classes be taken at a 4-year university, but that just depends on the individual program. Not sure what view med schools have on CC classes, however.

If you take a W you will for sure be asked about it in any interviews. Have a good reason why... and saying “I didn’t know I would need to work that hard,” is a horrific answer.

I would go with the W and then retake it. You will likely have to explain yourself when you apply, but at least your GPA won't be affected. Some PT schools require that A&P classes be taken at a 4-year university, but that just depends on the individual program. Not sure what view med schools have on CC classes, however.

If you take a W you will for sure be asked about it in any interviews. Have a good reason why... and saying “I didn’t know I would need to work that hard,” is a horrific answer.
OK. If I keep the C, would I be able to retake the class even though I received a passing grade?

OK. If I keep the C, would I be able to retake the class even though I received a passing grade?

You will be able to use the retake when applying. Some PT schools will take the best grade. Some will average the two. HOWEVER, you likely will NOT get academic credit for it from your university if you've received a passing grade for it already. So, essentially, you'll be paying for a class that doesn't count toward your 120 credit hour requirement to graduate.

Also, I had 6 Ws and, in my interview, I was just generally asked to explain why my academic performance was lackluster in the beginning of college. However, I did have a pretty good last 60 hours GPA to show my academic and personal develpment.

You will be able to use the retake when applying. Some PT schools will take the best grade. Some will average the two. HOWEVER, you likely will NOT get academic credit for it from your university if you've received a passing grade for it already. So, essentially, you'll be paying for a class that doesn't count toward your 120 credit hour requirement to graduate.

Also, I had 6 Ws and, in my interview, I was just generally asked to explain why my academic performance was lackluster in the beginning of college. However, I did have a pretty good last 60 hours GPA to show my academic and personal develpment.
Most of the schools I would be applying to are PTCAS, PTCAS averages the grades on retaken classes I believe. I found a couple programs that do take the best grade out of the two but would have find out about the rest. Is it better to drop with the W then as it won't hurt my GPA and it can't be averaged with the retaken grade?

The amount of Ws I have does concern me as the applications to universities are due at the end of the month and wonder if it will ruin my chances to get accepted to any good schools.