Plz help-- all advice appreciated ----------

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1NYCDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took the step 1 exam 36 days ago and I unfortunately did not pass the exam, and received a score of 182. I am very disappointed in my result, because I did put a significant amount of study time and preparation for this exam. Below is what I used to study . I also included at the bottom what i feel i did wrong. PLEASE GIVE ME ANY POSITIVE CRITICISM, AND ADVICE ON HOW I SHOULD GO ABOUT TO STUDY FOR THE TEST AGAIN. My goal is to get 230 or higher. Also, I am a carribean student ,do I still have any chance in matching into gen surgery...
I SINCERELY THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT .

I had started studying for this exam a 1 year ago by taking a Live Kaplan prep course in conjunction to working full time. However, starting January 15, 2013 I dedicated my full time to prepare for the Step 1, and I took the exam 3.5 months later on April 29, 2013. My study time consisted of 12-hour days, with 4 hours for break time (in the first month I only put in approximately 8 hours a day). Additionally, I took 1 day a week off to break and complete chores. My study schedule consisted of the following: The first 4 weeks I completed a review of the First Aid in conjunction with the Doctors in Training program. Then for the next 9 weeks I finished only 80 percent the USMLE World Qbank (averaging approximately 75 questions & explanations per day). On days which I had left over time I also listened to Goljan’s pathology audio. The last week before the exam I did a rapid review of the First Aid.
My average on the Usmle World Qbank was 53%, and i was avg high 50s toward the end. Although there were certain areas such as hematology, immunology, and some parts of physiology which I was weak in, I felt I had an overall good understanding of everything else before I sat for the exam, certainly enough to pass.
During the exam I felt the actual test questions were relatively comparable to the UWorld Qbank, and some were even more straight-forward. However, what really affected me was the time factor and endurance necessary. By the 4th block I felt mentally drained, and I had a hard time focusing. I was not in the same state of mind as when I was doing practice questions. I took a lunch break after the 4th block, which helped a lot with my concentration, but I was still pushing to complete each block. I missed about 4-5 questions from 3rd, 4th and 6th blocks.
I feel that I had made four significant mistakes when preparing for this test. 1) I did not take any online NBME exams. 2) I did not review the questions I got wrong from Uworld Qbank . 3) I did not go back to the Kaplan review books and texts to review the subjects which I was weak in. I additionally should have done many more additional questions from my weak subjects to solidify and apply the material. 4) I did not study under real exam conditions to build my endurance for test day. It is my utmost goal to go back and diligently work on each of these 4 mistakes that I have made. ALSO, i plan on redoing uworld in timed mode and completeing it this time and also doing Pathoma.

Members don't see this ad.

Why didnt you review your incorrects for UWorld? Definitely do uworld on timed and random mode to get used to the pacing of the exam and make sure to fully review every answer.

Also, do a few online NBMEs to build up your stamina and make sure to review your incorrects there as well.

I would also spend more time on reviewing first aid and making sure to memorize everything. If you have most of it committed to memory you will be able to reason through answers more quickly.

You did not use Uworld qbank correctly i think thats the problem. The point of the qbank is not so much as to asses ur performance (thats what NBME's are for), but more so to learn from your mistakes. The whole benefit of uworld remains in reviewing your answers..whether you get them right or wrong. How do you plan to learn the things you got wrong when you dont even go over why you got them wrong? I know its super tedious and boring going over the answers, but we all gotta do it. I think you should redo Uworld, maybe do it on tutor mode instead, and then use the NBME's to gage your performance.