PLZ HELP: Can I avoid treating patients who have H1N1???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I am a physical therapist (PLEASE keep reading). I know this is the medical forum BUT I figured I would get some more advice here than on the physical therapy board.

I just started working as a resident and I have a rotation in the cardio-respiratory department.

3 of my patients have H1N1. I just met them today. I am doing everything to protect myself (gloves, gowns, N95 mask, extra gloves, cleaning like crazy after, holding my breath when they cough haha, I know).

I have some important life events in the next 3 weeks and I CANNOT afford to get sick.

My question is in regard to my role with a patient with H1N1:

"Can I refuse treatment of such a patient when they are in the contagious state?"

Now, please note, I am not simply looking for a way out because I'm scared of the big bad H1N1. My thinking is the following: As a physical therapist my role with these patients is very limited and nothing I do will help to resolve their condition or go above and beyond what other health care workers have done.

I'm doing everything I can to protect myself. Is there a way I can avoid seeing these pts when they are contagious. I feel like I'm not doing much to help them anyways, at this stage at least! But I'm putting myself, my family, my friends at an unnecessary risk.

THANK YOU for reading and giving feedback!!!

PS. I cannot get the vaccine due to a possible allergy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please note. I'm not trying to discriminate. I have no problem seeing patients when they're no longer contagious. But with this being airborne and the fact that my role is not going to change much, why put other health care workers at risk of spreading this. I mean I see other elderly patients as well. It's not like the flimsy gown will protect me from spreading germs on my scrubs.

I don't know. What's everyone's opinion?

Well, the vaccine is out, so my opinion is that if you have something that you absolutely can't miss in 3 weeks (and it better be way above and beyond the kind of stuf that everyone else has going on) go explain that to whoever is distributing the vaccine and see if you can get to the front of the line for vaccination.

Other than that my uneducated opinion is that you probably can't get out of seeing them, and it would probably hurt some of your professional relationships if you tried.

Just catch it and become immune. Even if it does make you sick, itll only be for a few days max in most cases. Save your fear/stress for a real virus.