Plz help me out.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaiHo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys...
If anyone knows the answer to this question, reply me back soon

what is the immediate affect of calcitonin on calicum and phosphorous ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

calcitonin is the hormone which is secreted by the c-cells of thyroid or the parafollicular cells of thyroid gland. it has a conservative action in the blood calcium level or the antogonistic of parathyroid hormone. Basically it saves the body calcium.
Feel free to correct me.

From Wikipedia
The hormone participates in calcium (Ca2+) and phosphorus metabolism. In many ways, calcitonin counteracts parathyroid hormone (PTH).

To be specific, calcitonin affects blood Ca2+ levels in three ways:

Inhibits Ca2+ absorption by the intestines[5]
Inhibits osteoclast activity in bones[6]
Inhibits phosphate reabsorption by the kidney tubules[7]
Increases absolute Ca2+ and Mg+ reabsorption by the kidney tubules, calcitonin is a renal Ca-conserving hormone

Hi,
Immediate effects are both Ca and phosphate are decreased as Calcitonin prevents the Calcium absorption by intestine and decreases the activity of osteoclasts .It also decreases the re absorption of Phosphate from kidney tubules.
So phosphate excretion is increased and Calcium conservation is also decreased in serum.
So both of them are decreased.
Calcitonin is a hormone released by parafollicular cells in response to elevated plasma clacium.PTH and Calcium both acts in a opposite way in terms of Calcium only not in terms of phosphate.
Hope this helps.
Hi Guys...
If anyone knows the answer to this question, reply me back soon

what is the immediate affect of calcitonin on calicum and phosphorous ?

Thanks.