Pod + md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any way to get an MD after a dpm degree without all 4 years? I love podiatry but was just wondering. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Any way to get an MD after a dpm degree without all 4 years? I love podiatry but was just wondering. Thank you!

Nova has DPM to DO, carribean schools use to have dpm to md, but I think the AMA took that away.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
i only know David Armstrong has dpm and md, and even phd. i think his MD was an honorary one awarded from europe somewhere but not sure, can anyone confirm?

He has a research MD. He got it as part of his Ph.D program. In the UK doctors get a bachelors degree. When they do a research program they can get an MD or Ph.D or both. Dr. Armstrong attended Manchester where he did research and earned a MD/PhD

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/programmes/types/

Besides the Nova program for D.O., you could go to one of the few three-year M.D. programs available in the U.S. If you want two degrees, getting the M.D. first would make more sense (but whether you would actually go for a D.P.M. afterwards, even with shorter duration, would be unlikely and would probably be a terrible financial decision). No M.D. program honors courses taken at podiatric medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
It can be done, one of the clinician profs at Tempe is an MD/DPM. A good friend of mine in our class, his mentor got the DPM at temple and practiced for a bit. After that he went back and got the DO. It is done and not a super rare thing.

Reactions: 1 user
The Nova program is isnt the only 3 year DO progam but its the only specially for Podiatry. LECOM has a 3 year program for people who wants to do primary care. Either way its 3 years on top of 4 years of pod school and 3 years of residency. Then if you want to use your DO you will need another residency.

Besides the Nova program for D.O., you could go to one of the few three-year M.D. programs available in the U.S. If you want two degrees, getting the M.D. first would make more sense (but whether you would actually go for a D.P.M. afterwards, even with shorter duration, would be unlikely and would probably be a terrible financial decision). No M.D. program honors courses taken at podiatric medical schools.